E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can you get an extended warranty for already failed electrical parts?

02-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

Can you get an extended warranty for already failed electrical parts?

One of my modules has failed.. Its not a big deal but I would like to have it fixed but it looks like the repairs alone for 1000+ for it. My car is still under 100k and the 7 years. I haven't taken it to a shop to be diganosed or anything so couldn't I just purchase bmw extended 100k warranty and have them fix it after whatever waiting period?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Even the cpo doesn't cover entertainment parts

this includes Bluetooth , Sirius radio etc..
But this can of like asking if you can buy car insurance after you have
been in an accident isn't it.
Which module is it ?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slow.

When you purchase the BMW extended warranty, they need a key readout. If the error is not on the key then you are good. But if the error is already shown on the key then you won't be able to.
      02-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
this includes Bluetooth , Sirius radio etc..
But this can of like asking if you can buy car insurance after you have
been in an accident isn't it.
He is asking about purchasing extended warranty. If he purchase platinum, then entertainment will be covered.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...rotection.aspx
      02-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
centexE9x
Private
Rep
Drives: e9x coupe

Doing a uvi for an ext. warranty requires them to check everything. (If) they find it u will have to get it fixed before a warranty company will even bother. They also look closely at people who buy warranties and use it within days of purchase. The vehicle is supposed to be in tip-top shape before you are covered.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

lol 3 dealerships didn't notice my ULF died and its not throwing error codes. It just doesn't show up in the computer..

Honestly I am really pissed.. I bought the car used at 30k and I can't remember if I bought it under factory warranty or CPO.. If it is CPO I guess I am covered for a few more months and up to 100k.. anyway like I was saying Im pissed because I took it to the dealership at 45k and told them the idrive was acting wonky and they just said everythign was fine.. Then they wouldn't replace the trim where all the paint came of because it was one of the things the warranty didn't cover.. I hate the dealership.. love indy techs tho
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
centexE9x
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
lol 3 dealerships didn't notice my ULF died and its not throwing error codes. It just doesn't show up in the computer..

Honestly I am really pissed.. I bought the car used at 30k and I can't remember if I bought it under factory warranty or CPO.. If it is CPO I guess I am covered for a few more months and up to 100k.. anyway like I was saying Im pissed because I took it to the dealership at 45k and told them the idrive was acting wonky and they just said everythign was fine.. Then they wouldn't replace the trim where all the paint came of because it was one of the things the warranty didn't cover.. I hate the dealership.. love indy techs tho

Buy one, slap it in and bite the bullet for programming. It's literally one of the easiest things to get to/replace. Tops it has 4 8mm nuts holding it down.

Or sell the car and keep driving the kick-ass corvette u say u have? No, really. I have one too. Love it. Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexE9x View Post
Doing a uvi for an ext. warranty requires them to check everything. (If) they find it u will have to get it fixed before a warranty company will even bother. They also look closely at people who buy warranties and use it within days of purchase. The vehicle is supposed to be in tip-top shape before you are covered.
Wasn't going to use it within days.. Right now as far as I know its just a failed BT module I can live with that for a few months.. Could be my idrive is fucking up I don't know which.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #9
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexE9x View Post
Buy one, slap it in and bite the bullet for programming. It's literally one of the easiest things to get to/replace. Tops it has 4 8mm nuts holding it down.
Yeah I know how easy it is to replace but how do I know its not a problem with the idrive?

If I am going to replace it I want to go with a TCU + BT with assist over the old ULF. Should I jus order one before I pay BMW 132.00 dollars to tell me it is broken because I am pretty sure it is.. unless its the idrive..

I had a corvette...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
centexE9x
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I know how easy it is to replace but how do I know its not a problem with the idrive?

If I am going to replace it I want to go with a TCU + BT with assist over the old ULF. Should I jus order one before I pay BMW 132.00 dollars to tell me it is broken because I am pretty sure it is.. unless its the idrive..

I had a corvette...
Well as its impossible to tell without hooking up an isid or scanner. I can't help but bt not working is a pretty good indicator. If the most bus is down all your entertainment would be acting funny, and you would prob be getting the heartbeat sound from the speakers as it trys to communicate on it. I have seen plenty of tcu/ulf/sdars modules die in my time. It's not unheard of.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #11
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

:C

I am guessing just ordering one and putting it in all hooked up saves me 200 dollars as all they have to do is reprogram it..

I wish I could just talk to the dealer without them money grubbing for 130.00 dollars.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #12
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep

When I bought the extended warranty for my 5er, All I had to do was go to the dealership and ask for a key readout. I just had to fax the readout to them the same day I bought the warranty. After those steps, my 5er's warranty got extended. I bought my extended warranty from Cali and I"m from NY. This was done while I still had my original warranty. They did not look or check my car in person.
      02-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #13
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

CPO does not cover electrical system, entertainment etc.
      02-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #14
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

I dont think there are any errors.. The mod just is unplugged as far as the computer is concered
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #15
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richurd View Post
CPO does not cover electrical system, entertainment etc.
fml doesn't cover the things that break
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:58 AM   #16
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep

Go to the dealer and ask for a key readout and inquire about your warranty status.
      02-05-2013, 04:52 AM   #17
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

As absurd as the question sounds, there are situations where you can buy insurance with a pre existing condition. For example, you can get aaa plus and wait 7 days. As such, there are dealers who sell discounted BMW extended warranties over the phone without seeing the vehicle nor reading the key.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #18
W.WCherry
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

OP - What year is your car/ how many miles are on it. From my understanding, you can only buy the extended warranty while you are still under the new car warranty.

It might be different if you car was CPO.
Performance |Dinan Stage 3 Software|Dinan IC|Dinan OC|UUC/Corsa Exhaust|Koni FSD Shocks and Struts|Eibach Spings|Hotchkis Anti Sway Bars|6MT|Style |Aero Lip|Aero Rear|M3 Spoiler|BMW Gloss Black Kidney Grills|BMW Aluminum Pedals|BMW LCI Tail Lights|HID Fog Lights|25%Tint|Advan AVS Model F7 19" Rims|Lux V3 AEs|Premium|Sport|Comfort Access|
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Corso View Post
OP - What year is your car/ how many miles are on it. From my understanding, you can only buy the extended warranty while you are still under the new car warranty.

It might be different if you car was CPO.
09 328i 75k miles..

Oh I think you are right tho about only being able to buy it under 50K :C
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #20
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

ok, fixing the issue $1000, extended warranty (platinum) $3000 + $50 deductible each repair, I think if you just pay the $1000, you will prob still come out ahead, than paying $3000 for another 25K miles
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #21
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richurd View Post
When you purchase the BMW extended warranty, they need a key readout. If the error is not on the key then you are good. But if the error is already shown on the key then you won't be able to.
so if we clear the error code on the car the key shouldn't have it registered right?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #22
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
so if we clear the error code on the car the key shouldn't have it registered right?
That is something you should try and report back with the results.