E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > GKN Axle

06-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #23
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Pros (that shop you visited) are usually right since they have a lot of experience
It is nice to have it fixed and quiet and smooth
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 05:53 AM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post

Pros (that shop you visited) are usually right since they have a lot of experience
It is nice to have it fixed and quiet and smooth
Yeah, I agree. He did throw in the possibility of the pinion bearing being bad however... I'm glad I got a new diff anyway since it's a lot more quiet than the old one.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 08:20 PM   #25
bjr72
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 E90

genuine GKN - how to tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitsja View Post
GKN is a Tier-1 OEM Supplier and there quality is pretty darn good, it takes a lot to get that status. They supply components to all the major automotive companies like Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, BMW, etc. (may not be for all models)

I used to work for GKN back in 2011 in the Roxboro, NC facility where the shafts are fully assembled before being shipped directly to the OEM warehouses, I would recommend their parts especially knowing how they are made and all the rigorous quality checks they go through.
Shooting in the dark here, and this is an old thread, but is there a way to check GKN driveaxle to see if it's original and not re-manufactured? I bought 2 GKN driveaxles and one spline looks new and the other looks worn out. Since you worked for GKN, you might know what to look for regarding genuine GKN axle assemblies?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vn...FoCh79J1lDnnMw

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1at...Fe2ihG_HNclozl

any info greatly appreciated. These GKN's were expensive.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #26
rohitsja
MUHAAHAA
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i/ 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjr72 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitsja View Post
GKN is a Tier-1 OEM Supplier and there quality is pretty darn good, it takes a lot to get that status. They supply components to all the major automotive companies like Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, BMW, etc. (may not be for all models)

I used to work for GKN back in 2011 in the Roxboro, NC facility where the shafts are fully assembled before being shipped directly to the OEM warehouses, I would recommend their parts especially knowing how they are made and all the rigorous quality checks they go through.
Shooting in the dark here, and this is an old thread, but is there a way to check GKN driveaxle to see if it's original and not re-manufactured? I bought 2 GKN driveaxles and one spline looks new and the other looks worn out. Since you worked for GKN, you might know what to look for regarding genuine GKN axle assemblies?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vn1HlGG0UHANOe97XaFoCh79J1lDnnMw

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1atA_rMQVHOvJweYIB_Fe2ihG_HNclozl

I honestly don't know about that, sorry !!!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 05:48 AM   #27
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjr72 View Post

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vn...FoCh79J1lDnnMw

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1at...Fe2ihG_HNclozl

So I'd say the side of shaft that has the red plastic ring in it looks like a reused part and the axle was re-manufactured. Was the source you bought that axle from stating it was a new part or re-manufactured by GKN, or did not specify?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #28
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

They are both looking used (remanufactured) to me from the pictures. One is older than the other with more rust at the splines. On the "face" section they both have dirt or paint peeling off.
Appreciate 0