E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > swapped cluster - reads higher mileage

12-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #1
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

swapped cluster - reads higher mileage

This is more as a warning to others but if anybody has any knowledge I would be grateful.

Swapped my cluster for one that reads oil temperature rather than mpg. All was good and worked properly for about 6 or 7 months. Just last weekend I took the car on a drive for an hour. my mileage was just about 62000. Turned it off and got back in an hour later. It now reads 152000 miles. I tried swapping the original cluster back in and that also reads 152000 miles.

Anyway, I would avoid doing this because I have effectively devalued my car about $4000...so, keeping it for life at this point lol.

Going to call an indie BMW mechanic tomorrow to see what can be done.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 10:47 PM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Yep, you're screwed.

The mileage is stored in the Kombi, CAS, and DME. It will always use whatever module has the highest value. So you stuck a 150,000 mile Kombi in your 60,000 mile car, but you didn't have the mileage reset in the Kombi.. so it wrote the higher value to the CAS and DME. Unfortunately outside of specialized hackers, there's probably nothing BMW can do for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 05:29 AM   #3
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Yep, you're screwed.

The mileage is stored in the Kombi, CAS, and DME. It will always use whatever module has the highest value. So you stuck a 150,000 mile Kombi in your 60,000 mile car, but you didn't have the mileage reset in the Kombi.. so it wrote the higher value to the CAS and DME. Unfortunately outside of specialized hackers, there's probably nothing BMW can do for you.
Thanks for the reply, that sucks for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 07:01 AM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Yep, you're screwed.

Technically does that mean it's possible to find a car that has 50k KM for example, grab one of the three modules and plant it in your car and reset the 2 other modules so it grabs the KM from the module you took from the other car?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 07:14 AM   #5
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Yep, you're screwed.

Technically does that mean it's possible to find a car that has 50k KM for example, grab one of the three modules and plant it in your car and reset the 2 other modules so it grabs the KM from the module you took from the other car?
Quote:
Quote:
Yep, you're screwed.

I mean, I would just put my original cluster back in and delete the mileage that the replacement one wrote if at all possible. Don't think it is at this point though.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 07:16 AM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitz View Post
I mean, I would just put my original cluster back in and delete the mileage that the replacement one wrote if at all possible. Don't think it is at this point though.
Unless it's only possible to reset milleage in Kombi? So then you would have to snatch a DME and CAS from another car.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #7
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm not sure fellas. I am going to call a local bmw indie here in ct and see what they say. I mean, it's not the end of the world but it does suck...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 10:12 AM   #8
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You could erase the mileage in the Kombi and do that, but that wouldn't help the OP - since his CAS and DME have higher mileage. No matter what, it will always take whatever value is the highest from the 3 modules. You would have to reset all of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #9
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You could erase the mileage in the Kombi and do that, but that wouldn't help the OP - since his CAS and DME have higher mileage. No matter what, it will always take whatever value is the highest from the 3 modules. You would have to reset all of them.
That's the thing, it read the lower correct mileage for 7-8 months and just one day decided it would read the cluster mileage.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #10
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

There are ilinstructions on how to Virginize the data on
the Kombi on the coding sub forum . As far as I know
it does not write to the the other modules.
You should at least code the VIN number into the kombi
and it's best to Virginize a replacement if its not new.

It should have had a tamper dot on the new cluster when
you installed it I believe.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Kombi

You need to Virginize the eprom or replace it and code the vin into the Kombi.

Last edited by ctuna; 12-18-2018 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #11
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
There are ilinstructions on how to Virginize the data on
the Kombi on the coding sub forum . As far as I know
it does not write to the the other modules.
You should at least code the VIN number into the kombi
and it's best to Virginize a replacement if its not new.

It should have had a tamper dot on the new cluster when
you installed it I believe.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Kombi

You need to Virginize the eprom or replace it and code the vin into the Kombi.
Thanks for that I will look into it. Indie shop said to try disconnecting the negative on the battery for the night and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #12
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Disconnecting the battery isn't going to do anything. The mileage is stored in permanent memory.

the mileage in the DME and CAS is definitely updated. It's also stored in your keys.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      12-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #13
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

ditto on the battery thing.
They should know better.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 05:47 PM   #14
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
That's the thing, it read the lower correct mileage for 7-8 months and just one day decided it would read the cluster mileage.
Hope mine doesnt do that, its been what like 6 mos now. I did match the serial number on the back.
I had to replace my cluster since it was found to be the source of parasitic battery drain that prevented the car from going to sleep. That got fixed w the new cluster.
      12-18-2018, 07:19 PM   #15
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
Hope mine doesnt do that, its been what like 6 mos now. I did match the serial number on the back.
I had to replace my cluster since it was found to be the source of parasitic battery drain that prevented the car from going to sleep. That got fixed w the new cluster.
Might be a good idea to find one with lower mileage just in case?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 07:33 PM   #16
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Disconnecting the battery isn't going to do anything. The mileage is stored in permanent memory.

the mileage in the DME and CAS is definitely updated. It's also stored in your keys.
Yea, I disconnected the negative for a few hours today - didn't do anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #17
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Thanks for that I will look into it. Indie shop said to try disconnecting the negative on the battery for the night and see what happens.
I have low mileage cluster from 2012 328xdrive for sale. Don't remember exactly but less than 25k miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #18
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Quote:
I have low mileage cluster from 2012 328xdrive for sale. Don't remember exactly but less than 25k miles.
Does it have the oil temp gauge?

I think my problem is that the car has saved the high milage of the replacement cluster I put in. So even if I put my old cluster in it shows the high mileage...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #19
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Does it have the oil temp gauge?

I think my problem is that the car has saved the high milage of the replacement cluster I put in. So even if I put my old cluster in it shows the high mileage...
Yes it does, to 340f I think. I can only help with mileage locally. Let me know if you want the cluster.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 03:06 PM   #20
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

You're technically asking your Indy shop to help you do something illegal. There are people who can rollback cars, I've heard of it being done for people who leased their bmw. But obviously you'll need to be discrete in asking for it. How do they know your mileage is actually what you say it is.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #21
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
That's not going to do him any good. It would just update to the higher mileage as soon as he plugged it into his car.
Appreciate 1
Schmitz241.00
      12-21-2018, 09:57 PM   #22
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Traveler View Post
You're technically asking your Indy shop to help you do something illegal. There are people who can rollback cars, I've heard of it being done for people who leased their bmw. But obviously you'll need to be discrete in asking for it. How do they know your mileage is actually what you say it is.
Well, since it's stored in a few places, if we can find it then isn't that proof?
Appreciate 0