E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Traction control issues

12-17-2018, 11:13 AM   #1
Tosh wilson
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 3-Series m sport coupe

Traction control issues

Evening guys. Been told people here might be a able to help me.
I have a 3 series m sport coupe 320i 2008. Over the past couple of days whilst driving along the traction control keeps on kicking in. Doing this is making it almost impossible to drive including loss of power. After a while I got a new light shine up on the dash board showing low pressure in the tyres. I pulled over checked the tyres and these were fine. Only way to get home was to turn the traction control off.
Anyone got any ideas of what this might be???
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh wilson View Post
Evening guys. Been told people here might be a able to help me.
I have a 3 series m sport coupe 320i 2008. Over the past couple of days whilst driving along the traction control keeps on kicking in. Doing this is making it almost impossible to drive including loss of power. After a while I got a new light shine up on the dash board showing low pressure in the tyres. I pulled over checked the tyres and these were fine. Only way to get home was to turn the traction control off.
Anyone got any ideas of what this might be???
Not very familiar with 320 but there should be a DSC button beside where you lock unlock doors. Hold it for more than 3 seconds.

You might wanna pull some information with a BMW tools such as ista inpa.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
Tosh wilson
United Kingdom
Rep

So I held down the disc button and turned the traction control off. This was the only way to really get the car rolling again. A couple of people have suggested the abs sensor on either the front or back might be faulty. Cheers for the help so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh wilson View Post
So I held down the disc button and turned the traction control off. This was the only way to really get the car rolling again. A couple of people have suggested the abs sensor on either the front or back might be faulty. Cheers for the help so far.
Yeah so most likely is a ABS sensor problem or the wheel bearing magnetic strips are worn. You might need a new wheel bearing. To find out which one ore more info you need to diagnose it with BMW tools.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 02:23 AM   #5
assassinsbrotherhood
330d E90 LCI M Sport.
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 330d e90 LCI M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Yeah so most likely is a ABS sensor problem or the wheel bearing magnetic strips are worn. You might need a new wheel bearing. To find out which one ore more info you need to diagnose it with BMW tools.
I think you will find that the ABS sensor rings on the rear of the hubs are covered in rust or dirt. Take of the wheels and gain access to the rings and give them a touch up with some emery cloth to clean. Should find this will fix the prob. Dont grind or file the rings as you dont want to loose any of the sensor. Happens in sandy, salty, or even wet humid areas.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 02:48 AM   #6
Yngvejos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325i, E87 118d

The 320i has different rear ABS sensors with reluctor rings around the drive shaft.
They can crack or bulge hitting the ABS sensor due to rust.
You can get new rings here.
https://www.ukpartsdirect.com/bmw-3-...sor-kit-1.html

Last edited by Yngvejos; 12-18-2018 at 02:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
Tosh wilson
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers for all your help with this. Gonna get under the car tomorrow and have a clean up of everything fingers crossed it’s all good.
Appreciate 0