E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > VRSF CP Blow Off

08-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
DoctoRx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335i xDrive MSport

VRSF CP Blow Off

For some reason under heavy loads my CP disconnects. Whenever the boost creeps past 15 lbs I start to hear a whine from under the hood. If I keep the throttle up (or WOT) the charge pipe disconnects right at the throttle body. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this? Was thinking maybe I'll try to take it apart and re lube the O-Ring (or check to see if maybe some how the O-ring came out?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
wgknestrick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 xdrive

O-ring connection at intake manifold, or coupler at lower charge pipe?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
DoctoRx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
O-ring connection at intake manifold, or coupler at lower charge pipe?
O ring at intake manifold. I didn't have motor oil on me when I did the install so the only thing I was thinking was maybe it could have dried up around seal and that was causing the leak?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Is it popping off or just leaking? If popping off it is probably not all the way on or the clip is not latching
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #5
DoctoRx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
Is it popping off or just leaking? If popping off it is probably not all the way on or the clip is not latching
It feels like maybe it's leaking. As the car spools up, I start to hear a noise at about 15 lbs. If I keep pushing it that high with back to back pulls, I did manage to get it to pop off completely. I tried pushing it back on to click and then sliding the clip back on. Next I was considering maybe bending the C clip just a bit in case it's just not on there tight enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

I have a vrsf and have driven many times at over 17psi for a couple months now and it has been fine. Doesn't the flow go from intercooler to throttle body? In which case it would not have to be super tight to hold.
      08-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #7
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Are you using the o-ring we provided or the OEM o-ring? The OEM o-ring will not work with our CP since it's too small. We include a larger o-ring with our chargepipes that has a larger surface area to prevent boost leaks at higher pressures.

Make sure the pipe is completely seated on the throttle body, sometimes only one side of the c-clip seats because there wasn't enough pressure applied to the CP onto the TB
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctoRx View Post
It feels like maybe it's leaking. As the car spools up, I start to hear a noise at about 15 lbs. If I keep pushing it that high with back to back pulls, I did manage to get it to pop off completely. I tried pushing it back on to click and then sliding the clip back on. Next I was considering maybe bending the C clip just a bit in case it's just not on there tight enough.
It sounds like it's disconnecting at the throttle body? You can bend the C clip a little more. Make sure when you attach the CP to the TB you get a nice *click* with that C clip.

The VRSF CP will require the use of their specific O ring. The OEM o ring is not sufficient.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #9
wgknestrick
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Are you using the o-ring we provided or the OEM o-ring? The OEM o-ring will not work with our CP since it's too small. We include a larger o-ring with our chargepipes that has a larger surface area to prevent boost leaks at higher pressures.

Make sure the pipe is completely seated on the throttle body, sometimes only one side of the c-clip seats because there wasn't enough pressure applied to the CP onto the TB
Tiago,
As an engineer and a customer of yours, I highly recommend you add a 2nd O-ring to this CP connection. A single O-ring is not sufficient IMO to guarantee proper sealing. The single O-ring is subject to having proper on-axis alignment of the CP to the TB. If you went to 2 O-rings, they would help align the joint and have a higher % of sealing, even beyond the OEM pipe. IMO, this is a cheap, cheap fix and should add value to you and your customers. A single O-ring can work, but is subject to having proper alignment. This is a variable that is tough to control since you removed the mounting bracket on the CP.

Enlarging the O-ring (thickness) makes this joint more "flexible" and allows the CP to be misaligned, causing potential leaks. I understand why you did it, but Your CP metal- TB metal fitment "as is" is too loose to work with just a single O-ring consistently. This joint can move about 5deg off axis.

Mine is leaking too BTW and I will probably have a local machine shop add the 2nd groove. I can provide a fully detailed drawing of your connector ring, once I remove it this weekend. Not trying to bash your products (I think they are great value and generally well engineered), just trying to help improve them.

I would also love for VRSF to release a full piping kit for our cars. I hate the stock piping and would love to hand you money for these. (or help develop them..... for free parts. We need more N55 turbo inlets and for someone to make a compressor outlet-IC pipe.

Bill Knestrick
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 11:54 AM   #10
DoctoRx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
It sounds like it's disconnecting at the throttle body? You can bend the C clip a little more. Make sure when you attach the CP to the TB you get a nice *click* with that C clip.
I'm using the VRSF O-ring that was included. I think from how it sounds, perhaps I wasn't fully seated. I can't recall the first time when I installed, but when it blew off on the highway I definitely heard a *click* when I had it seated back on there. I still get a sort of whistling noise at high boost (not from the sound of the turbo) but so far I haven't had the issue of the CP blowing off again.

Jeff thanks for that idea - I'll be taking it out to play around with an M3 later this week. If I can reproduce the issue, I'll bend it a bit and see if that remedies the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 09:51 PM   #11
nekbreaker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF

I order cobb cp and had fitment issues so I got vrsf pipe will this cp fit with no issues
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 10:52 PM   #12
DoctoRx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update:

Went for some testing today, once I got it up to WOT I heard a pop and lost boost (3 codes for low boost pressure and then the half engine light came on, but no SES light). I tried bending the C Clip a bit to see if it was leaking from there, but that didn't help. Tried to play with it a few times to see if maybe it wasn't seated correctly, but it seems that's no longer the issue.

I wasn't able to get a good look but I think it may be one of the couplings on the FMIC - when I flashed a light over it, I could see one of the pipes had a streak across it where dust hadn't settled on my otherwise dirty engine bay (picture wiping your hand across the bottom edge of a dusty table). I'm guessing that this may be the loose point of the connection but won't know for sure until I can get it on a lift and take the plastics out of the way. Hopefully a quick fix!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 07:13 AM   #13
wgknestrick
Private First Class
Rep

Rig up a pressure test fitting in the Meth bung. Need some 1.8" NPT fittings.

1/8" Tank valve
http://www.amazon.com/Milton-684-NPT...npt+tank+valve

1/8" Gauge 0-30psi
http://www.amazon.com/Winters-Econom...pressure+gauge

1/8" male female Tee
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006PKKXM4/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

$20 and you can test all your FMIC connections easily.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #14
DoctoRx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Rig up a pressure test fitting in the Meth bung. Need some 1.8" NPT fittings.

$20 and you can test all your FMIC connections easily.
Thanks for that, I may see if I can try that this weekend. If not, I have an appointment set up for Tuesday at a local shop to have them take care of it. Pretty sure it's the turbo side. Just want this thing back up and running - when the connections aren't loose, this thing moves like an animal now!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #15
DoctoRx
First Lieutenant
Rep

Couplings were loose on FMIC - everything is tightened down now. Holding boost to 18 pounds like a champ. Next up will be a tune hopefully sooner rather than later.
Appreciate 0