E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > AVIN 8.8inch - who has this?

08-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #199
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

It looks like Seicane upgrade their units to have an Android 8.0, 8core processor and 4GB of ram, but they don't seem to offer the screen replacement one, just the non-factory nav conversion in the dash. Screen resolution is still 1024*600.

Increase specs and a 720p or 1080p screen and i'd probably buy an AVIN to try.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #200
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36mcab View Post
I also installed this Android interface.

My thoughts on this:
It really needs to be modified to fit the opening. The bottom right corner of the screen bezel touches the hard molded plastic on my car. See video at the 13:06 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReDgLYIAsZc
The holes on the top mounting screws do not line up, most likely due to the screen bezel issue.
I managed to squeeze the screen and forced the screen to barely align with the mounting screws.
The bottom part of the screen does not sit flush with the opening, at least its a consistent gap of about 1/16", so it appears normal.
The screen bezel that was provided by this vendor seems to be an older design. The newer Avin units do no have this issue, as they have a different design.
I did not modify the screen, but more than likely I will once my GPS splitter arrives.

The wiring harness is really short. It was a PITA to get it to fit. It was necessary to squeeze the head unit to force it to fit. I managed to barely tuck the large piggy back harness to the bottom right. I'm not a fan of forcing things to fit.

The sound quality via BT streaming is good. I've compared the sound on Spotify to my Tune2Air I used previously and it's very close to the same. This may be due to the fact that both use the AUX connection in the armrest to stream music.
I also installed the Spotify app directly and the sound is also similar.

The back up camera works great and dynamic parking lines work perfect in conjunction with my rear PDC.

Other than the installation challenges, the Android unit is a nice upgrade to the old CCC system.
Quote:
I bought the same one that toddyus purchased.

It is the new Android 7.1 interface but I think the company that I purchased from is using an old housing. When I compare the pictures of the old and new housing this one does not have the cut outs.
Okay, I also wonder if the difference is CIC vs CCC. Thanks for the question answers! I had some follow up:

Quote:
-With the GPS antenna, why is the splitter necessary? If I don't care for stock navigation, could I just directly connect it to the AHU and just say FU to the stock NAV?

Yes you can do this, but the issue some have been experiencing is it's very slow to get a GPS lock with the aftermarket antenna. The factory one may produce better results as it's mounted under the shark fin.
Okay so what I meant was right now our car is stock GPS antenna-> stock GPS . I thought the splitter was meant to split from stock GPS antenna -> AHU GPS + stock GPS. If I never use the stock GPS, could I just do stock GPS antenna -> AHU GPS and not worry about the splitter?

Quote:
-with the grounding wire, where did you attach it to? I know you said it reduced noise a little bit but the location can make a big difference.

I attached my ground wire to one of the screws that attached to my glove box. That mounting point in particular is attached to the metal frame.
Hmm how long is the wire? I would have tried grounding near the aux in. Feel like that would have the best results.

Quote:
-If I read your post correctly, if we don't have OEM backup camera right now, we can install directly to the AHU and it'll work? I thought you couldn't get dynamic parking lines with the MT. Guess I was wrong

Yes. I had an aftermarket backup camera module. I removed it and just hooked up my aftermarket camera to this unit. The dynamic parking lines work with my 6 spd manual. I have read elsewhere that another OP could not get the dynamic parking lines to work until he installed the factory rear PDC but this was not with a AHU rather a backup camera module. YMMV.
Did you have it with the emulator before installing the AHU (like through the DIY post on this forum)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Not sure how else to re-word what I'm trying to achieve, but no, it would not go through the AUX at all and that's the point. As most seem to concur that the AUX is of poor quality and in many ways negates any sound quality benefits that an Android head unit might have in our cars.

Using a USB to digital audio converter would maintain a digital signal path all the way to the aftermarket DSP, the DSP would act as the DAC and provide the crossover/EQ/time alignment features which would then go into external, aftermarket amps. The only negative that I can see is that controlling volume would have to be through an additional knob installed in the car...but there are also devices on the market that can convert the factory steering wheel controls to IR, so if the DSP can be controlled via IR remote, we can maintain steering wheel volume controls, at the least. Some of these converters also allow for mapping buttons to do other things so, as an example, my DSP can hold 4 different tunes, and I'd be able to program a long press of any of the steering wheel buttons to load a different tune, or mute/unmute, or...?
Ah I think I understand now. I thought you were trying to retain the stock controls. I don't see why doing this stuff wouldn't be possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddyus View Post
See answers below:
Did you ever end up getting the CIC idrive controller setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssshake View Post
I created a video where I tear down the wiring harness and I believe it explains (or will lead others to answering) questions about the sometimes optional aux cable as well as what all the wires and connectors labeled "CAN" are about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aR38Rnqx-Y

The most confusing thing is the two pairs of white powered speaker wires. What could possibly be using just one of the four car stereo channels? Very weird.

I do wonder if my CIC can be coded to do audio without the aux cable. I do know you can code $601 VO to enable TV which uses RCA on these pins on the back. So not exactly aux audio, but audio + video. To which you could just choose to not use the video input and treat the TV mode as just audio.

Since I know this is possible, by this link below, I am suspicious that there is a way to just code aux in from the back of the CIC and use the on screen input labeled AUX for it. I just can't find any information about that yet.

Link to RCA TV on CIC: https://bmw.***********.com/threads/...eo-input.1550/O
Could you PM me the link? It's censored lol. It would be sweet if we could bypass the aux. I can try helping you look for more info! Anyway, for the backup camera, are you using the emulator that's linked in the DIY thread? I wonder if I should just forget about it and hook it up to the AHU directly.

Last edited by PaKii94; 08-15-2018 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 09:17 PM   #201
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaKii94 View Post
Did you ever end up getting the CIC idrive controller setup?
I did and just installed it yesterday. It's direct plug and play with my CCC system (05/2008 build date.) I'd like to find some way to remap the buttons, however. Until then, the only real advantage it has over the CCC controller on the Android side is I can click the Nav button to go directly to my Carplay app. "Back" is also useful because it goes back to whatever app you had open. I mostly go between Carplay and the JB4 Mobile app, so button clicks is a lot easier than going into apps and scrolling for the JB4 app, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #202
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I did and just installed it yesterday. It's direct plug and play with my CCC system (05/2008 build date.) I'd like to find some way to remap the buttons, however. Until then, the only real advantage it has over the CCC controller on the Android side is I can click the Nav button to go directly to my Carplay app. "Back" is also useful because it goes back to whatever app you had open. I mostly go between Carplay and the JB4 Mobile app, so button clicks is a lot easier than going into apps and scrolling for the JB4 app, etc.
What happens if you press the other buttons? Also, how did you set up Nav to carplay, could we set it to google maps? The back option should be useful for me too.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #203
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

For anyone with the CarPlay adapter. Does idrive controls work. Did you have to configure them? My zbox app allows me to bind keys but it will only detect left or back. And they both give the same key code. If I would get this working things would be awesome.

Can you send me a link to the exact one you bought and which app it uses.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 06:17 PM   #204
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
For anyone with the CarPlay adapter. Does idrive controls work. Did you have to configure them? My zbox app allows me to bind keys but it will only detect left or back. And they both give the same key code. If I would get this working things would be awesome.

Can you send me a link to the exact one you bought and which app it uses.
Crap. I just ordered a Zbox version hoping it would work with idrive better. The one I have works great for Carplay, but does not respond to steering wheel track controls or the idrive “select” button. It’s annoying, because I can use idrive to scroll to items on the screen, but I cannot select them rendering it touchscreen only. I’ve wasted so much time trying to get it to work.

I’ll report back on my Zbox experience when I get it.

The unit I have now is marketed by Naviup on Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #205
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The one I have works great for Carplay, but does not respond to steering wheel track controls or the idrive “select” button.
When you dont have the phone connected are there settings in the app to remap buttons? the Zbox lets you remap, but none of my input other than left/back registers

Quote:
the only real advantage it has over the CCC controller on the Android side is I can click the Nav button to go directly to my Carplay app.
Man I wish, when I click nav it takes me to the idrive nav. Can anyone with CIC idrive comment on their experience with these buttons? I'm finding that my idrive controller is still sending input to the CIC when I'm in android mode, I would have thought it would suppress this by some form of magic.

Also when I hit the voice command button on the steering wheel it will launch the nav app in android but will also invoke the voice activation on my CIC. Can anyone confirm if theirs does this as well?

Quote:

Could you PM me the link? It's censored lol. It would be sweet if we could bypass the aux. I can try helping you look for more info! Anyway, for the backup camera, are you using the emulator that's linked in the DIY thread? I wonder if I should just forget about it and hook it up to the AHU directly.
Google cic tv diy and the first link should be to spoolstree - t website.

For your second question I dont know how to answer that.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 01:18 AM   #206
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So I'm ready to give up. I can't seem to get this system to play well with my retrofited CIC emulator.

At random the emulator will crash, which makes the CIC hang. After rebooting the CIC since the emulator is still crashed none of the features work with it, not even the idrive control.

Required an unplug/plug of the emulator to boot it back up. When it does work the dynamic lines from the emulator look completely screwed like bad TV reception.

I'm not going to sacrifice native functionality for this so I guess I have no choice but to return the unit and roll everything back.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #207
N55Jamaican
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90 LCI

So I have been reading a few pages back, trying to find out if this new version ADVIN is compatible with the MHD APP? Can I run the MHD gauges on it, or even load maps using the ADVIN unit?

PS My car did not come with factory display unit or iDrive feature. Can I still install ADVIN and have close to factory iDrive features?

Have a 2011 E90 335i LCI
      08-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #208
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N55Jamaican View Post
So I have been reading a few pages back, trying to find out if this new version ADVIN is compatible with the MHD APP? Can I run the MHD gauges on it, or even load maps using the ADVIN unit?

PS My car did not come with factory display unit or iDrive feature. Can I still install ADVIN and have close to factory iDrive features?

Have a 2011 E90 335i LCI
I have the older version. It's fully compatible with MHD but I haven't tried flashing with it for safety reasons.
I'm sure the new unit will work even better.
You don't need factory iDrive to run the android HU but you'll have to retrofit iDrive buttons they provide.
Pure Stage 1 | DV+ & Inlet | Injen Intake | M3 Cowl | ETS 5" FMIC & CP | Aquamist HFS4 Direct Port | CSF Radiator | Wagner Catted DP | BMW PE | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | 335is Engine mount | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars & SS Brake lines | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSFB | M3 Rear Control arms | Manzo Toe arms | Wavetrac LSD
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:30 PM   #209
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

With the old version you cannot flash using the MHD app on the HU. It causes the HU to reboot. No idea about the newer version but I doubt this issue was addressed.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #210
N55Jamaican
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
I have the older version. It's fully compatible with MHD but I haven't tried flashing with it for safety reasons.
I'm sure the new unit will work even better.
You don't need factory iDrive to run the android HU but you'll have to retrofit iDrive buttons they provide.
Awesome. Think I am going to pull the trigger on it. Thanks for the info.
      08-21-2018, 01:45 PM   #211
e36mcab
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e36mcab

Quote:
Okay so what I meant was right now our car is stock GPS antenna-> stock GPS . I thought the splitter was meant to split from stock GPS antenna -> AHU GPS + stock GPS. If I never use the stock GPS, could I just do stock GPS antenna -> AHU GPS and not worry about the splitter?
Yes, it's possible. I'm not sure if the factory GPS cable is long enough to reach the back of the headunit. I'm pretty sure it is not, therefore you would need to buy an extention cable.

Quote:
Hmm how long is the wire? I would have tried grounding near the aux in. Feel like that would have the best results.
The ground wire is about long enough to reach the ash tray area. You will also need to extend this wire to reach the aux in.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 09:52 AM   #212
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
When you dont have the phone connected are there settings in the app to remap buttons? the Zbox lets you remap, but none of my input other than left/back registers
No the AutoPlay app that my CarPlay dongle uses does not provide any button mapping. I'll see if I have better control with the Zbox dongle when I get it. I've tried a couple of Android apps that are supposed to capture steering wheel control presses, but they do not sense anything. It's as if the head unit is blocking that.

Quote:
Man I wish, when I click nav it takes me to the idrive nav. Can anyone with CIC idrive comment on their experience with these buttons? I'm finding that my idrive controller is still sending input to the CIC when I'm in android mode, I would have thought it would suppress this by some form of magic.
Have you changed the app target in the "Navigation" option in settings? Sorry if that's already obvious.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #213
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, it's possible. I'm not sure if the factory GPS cable is long enough to reach the back of the headunit. I'm pretty sure it is not, therefore you would need to buy an extention cable.

The ground wire is about long enough to reach the ash tray area. You will also need to extend this wire to reach the aux in.
An extension cable is required.
I got this cable off ebay.
Pure Stage 1 | DV+ & Inlet | Injen Intake | M3 Cowl | ETS 5" FMIC & CP | Aquamist HFS4 Direct Port | CSF Radiator | Wagner Catted DP | BMW PE | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | 335is Engine mount | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars & SS Brake lines | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSFB | M3 Rear Control arms | Manzo Toe arms | Wavetrac LSD
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #214
Skylinemotorsports
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335

So I am not really an audio guy, and have afew questions to understand this better before I start the project....

The new unit, 7.1, with the new audio chip its putting out 4x48, and this bypassses the OEM amp on the 676?
If this is right, how does it allocate the channels for 8 speakers, and how does the sound quality compare to the CCC/CIC/OEM Amp say, hifi OEM, and also how does it compare to an aftermarket solution, a PP82DSP or 600/6?

Does the new audio chip produce better sound then say a PP82DSP? Also, say you have a PP82DSP, how easy is it to bypass the headunit to use the dps for processing and wattage?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 08:32 PM   #215
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinemotorsports View Post
So I am not really an audio guy, and have afew questions to understand this better before I start the project....

The new unit, 7.1, with the new audio chip its putting out 4x48, and this bypassses the OEM amp on the 676?
If this is right, how does it allocate the channels for 8 speakers, and how does the sound quality compare to the CCC/CIC/OEM Amp say, hifi OEM, and also how does it compare to an aftermarket solution, a PP82DSP or 600/6?

Does the new audio chip produce better sound then say a PP82DSP? Also, say you have a PP82DSP, how easy is it to bypass the headunit to use the dps for processing and wattage?

Cheers
So, if you're not really an audio guy, I'm not sure what that makes me...

I'll leave it to the real audio guys to chime in on the various aftermarket solutions. The simple answer for sound allocation is simply that it is treated like any other analog input, and the BMW amp - whichever one you have - handles everything else.

That said, the Android unit I have does offer some level of digital processing. The 3-band EQ on the Android side would not affect sound otherwise.

I did not have experience with the older 4.4 units, but I will say that this sounds every bit as good as the stock system.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #216
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

OK if anyone is interested in buying this unit from me I am going to sell it. Given the compatibility issues with my retrofit CIC emulator I just can't be bothered to try any longer to get this to work.

This is the 8.8" CIC/CCC version. So you need to have idrive already.

I paid $570 CAD less than a month ago for the unit.

In addition to that I purchased the following:

-anti glare screen protector $30
-GPS splitter $15
-Carplay dongle $80
-2 x USB fakra cables (so you can used the car's usb ports in armrest and glovebox as your inputs if you choose) $15

Specs:

- Android 7.1
- 32GB storage
- Has the good audio chip not the crappy one people have been talking about from earlier models.

If interested PM me and make me an offer. I'm located in Waterloo, Ontario Canada and I can ship. Thanks.

Last edited by ssshake; 08-23-2018 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 03:07 PM   #217
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
OK if anyone is interested in buying this unit from me I am going to sell it. Given the compatibility issues with my retrofit CIC emulator I just can't be bothered to try any longer to get this to work.

This is the 8.8" CIC/CCC version. So you need to have idrive already.

I paid $570 CAD less than a month ago for the unit.

In addition to that I purchased the following:

-anti glare screen protector $30
-GPS splitter $15
-Carplay dongle $80
-2 x USB fakra cables (so you can used the car's usb ports in armrest and glovebox as your inputs if you choose) $15

Specs:

- Android 7.1
- 32GB storage
- Has the good audio chip not the crappy one people have been talking about from earlier models.

If interested PM me and make me an offer. I'm located in Waterloo, Ontario Canada and I can ship. Thanks.

Yikes did you get it from AVIN? Also thanks for being a guinea pig for it I guess
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #218
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yikes did you get it from AVIN? Also thanks for being a guinea pig for it I guess
I didn't get it from Avin, because there didn't seem to be an apparent point. All they do, I gather, is rebox the same unit I got off Aliexpress. The aliexpress one was less expensive.

The only reason I'd consider buying from someone like Avin is the presumption that they are based out of north america and for some reason that means they provided a better level of customer support than an aliexpress vendor.

However the sounds of it on the forums is the customer service from Avin isn't good at all. My few interactions with them over email backs that up.

So given that I'm going to get poor support no matter what, I decided go the route which would save me $100 or so.

p.s. FWIW the unit itself works as well as an unofficial android unit should. Integrates with the car as expected (idrive controller, steering wheel, camera with dynamic lines, an idrive-like interface etc). It has its quirks as expected, it has its mounting screw hole tolerance issue that everyone is reporting, it has a glossy screen that needs anti glare film. But otherwise the thing is what it's supposed to be.

It's just the fact that my idrive system is a retrofit and the damned emulator required for nav, pdc and cam won't work with the android system connected. Some conflict over canbus. And losing these functions from idrive isn't an option for me.

BTW apple carplay is seriously good even without idrive controller support.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 12:13 AM   #219
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I didn't get it from Avin, because there didn't seem to be an apparent point. All they do, I gather, is rebox the same unit I got off Aliexpress. The aliexpress one was less expensive.

The only reason I'd consider buying from someone like Avin is the presumption that they are based out of north america and for some reason that means they provided a better level of customer support than an aliexpress vendor.

However the sounds of it on the forums is the customer service from Avin isn't good at all. My few interactions with them over email backs that up.

So given that I'm going to get poor support no matter what, I decided go the route which would save me $100 or so.

p.s. FWIW the unit itself works as well as an unofficial android unit should. Integrates with the car as expected (idrive controller, steering wheel, camera with dynamic lines, an idrive-like interface etc). It has its quirks as expected, it has its mounting screw hole tolerance issue that everyone is reporting, it has a glossy screen that needs anti glare film. But otherwise the thing is what it's supposed to be.

It's just the fact that my idrive system is a retrofit and the damned emulator required for nav, pdc and cam won't work with the android system connected. Some conflict over canbus. And losing these functions from idrive isn't an option for me.

BTW apple carplay is seriously good even without idrive controller support.
Oh that's still expensive then. The unit was going for $360ish last I checked on AliExpress
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 07:36 AM   #220
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Oh that's still expensive then. The unit was going for $360ish last I checked on AliExpress
Not really. This is the cheapest one that was on there. It’s canadian dollars not US and that’s after $60 shipping.
Appreciate 0