Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > VMR V715 owners beware

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
rdub315
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
VMR V715 owners beware

Just thought I'd inform everyone of the issue I'm having with my VMR 715's that I just had powdercoated...

I bought the wheels roughly 6 months ago, and had only been on the car for maybe 3,000 miles before I decided to powdercoat. They were just finished and I installed them on the car a little over a week ago. Within 3 or 4 days I noticed an odd crease about 5 inches long, along with a few dimples all around the lip of the driver side rear wheel. I avoid potholes and didn't hit anything that would have caused this (I'm at work - will post up pics later).

To make a long story short(er), I contacted VMR and they basically told me that the V715 is not safe to powdercoat, as the lip is a stainless press-on. Apparently, powdercoating is bad for these as the heating process makes the lip brittle and weak and susceptible to bending. Awesome. Glad I spent all that money on wheels and powdercoat - all for naught.

So I'm chalking it up as a lesson learned. As they say, you get what you pay for. VMR wheels will never be on any car I own ever again. I got sucked in because of the attractive pricing, and the fact that I like lipped wheels. The powder guy I used is very reputable and I'm sure his process is legit.

My conclusion - VMR wheels are crap. Beware! If there are any V715 owners out there considering powdercoat... DON'T DO IT!

- VTT Stage 2 turbos, VTT inlets, Cobb Pro Tune (E30 and 93 octane tunes), MFactory LSD, 335is clutch, CSF radiator, slim fans, Walbro 255, AE exhaust, AA downpipes, ETS FMIC, Vishnu DCI, ETS charge pipe, Tial BOV, BMS OCC
- H&R Touring Cup Kit, Apex Arc8, M3 style front bumper, MTech style rear bumper and diffuser

Last edited by rdub315; 06-02-2012 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i 6MT

That really sucks, post pics when you get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

Sorry to hear that but I think you're generalizing...maybe that's the case for the 715 but not with their monoblock wheels???
      06-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

I'm sorry you had this issue, but this is not a bad on VMR's part at all. The product that you received functioned the way it was designed to do. Powdercoating wheels is hard on many wheels, even forged ones (especially if you don't use a low heat powdercoat process).

Check out this thread about some HRE's that had issue with powdercoating http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...hre-wheel.html
You'll find other threads like this if you look around the web. The issue you're having is not exclusive to lower priced wheels.

IMO, this thread should have been titled "VMR 715 powdercoaters beware". Also, have you tried working with VMR? I'm willing to bet they would allow you purchase new wheels at a discounted price. Its amazing what you can get when you ask nicely instead of putting people on blast, especially when the issue is not their fault.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
rdub315
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
I'm sorry you had this issue, but this is not a bad on VMR's part at all. The product that you received functioned the way it was designed to do. Powdercoating wheels is hard on many wheels, even forged ones (especially if you don't use a low heat powdercoat process).

Check out this thread about some HRE's that had issue with powdercoating http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...hre-wheel.html
You'll find other threads like this if you look around the web. The issue you're having is not exclusive to lower priced wheels.

IMO, this thread should have been titled "VMR 715 powdercoaters beware". Also, have you tried working with VMR? I'm willing to bet they would allow you purchase new wheels at a discounted price. Its amazing what you can get when you ask nicely instead of putting people on blast, especially when the issue is not their fault.
agreed, and changed the title.

i initially asked to see what they could do for me, and all i got was a drawn out explanation of why the V715 is not suited for powdercoat. so i told them to forget it. i'm steering clear of VMR and eventually going to get a set of Apex Arc-8's.
- VTT Stage 2 turbos, VTT inlets, Cobb Pro Tune (E30 and 93 octane tunes), MFactory LSD, 335is clutch, CSF radiator, slim fans, Walbro 255, AE exhaust, AA downpipes, ETS FMIC, Vishnu DCI, ETS charge pipe, Tial BOV, BMS OCC
- H&R Touring Cup Kit, Apex Arc8, M3 style front bumper, MTech style rear bumper and diffuser
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Pcemkr
Pro Hater
Rep
Drives: Low and slow

They're cheap for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcemkr View Post
They're cheap for a reason.
That has nothing to do with what happened here.. powdercoating wheels that were formed with certain processes will alter the structure of the wheel because the heat to form is lower than the heat to cure the powdercoat.
      06-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
rdub315
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
my main gripe with all this is... how do you know that you shouldn't powdercoat certain wheels? they have that nice thread with all their glorious powdercoat choices, so why would you think otherwise? someone from VMR even commented in the thread i created to seek opinions on which color to go with. no mention of "hey, don't powdercoat those V715's" or anything along those lines. it's only after the fact that you learn about it's susceptibility to powdercoating.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I agree 100% that vmr should at least have a warning on their website it's obvious that they knew about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
rdub315
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [10.00]
pics added
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
MRRwheels
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

I've seen this before, any wheel that is powder coated has to have the proper heating methods just a tad bit higher temp will mess with the structural integrity and can also lead to crack wheels. Is very tuff. Remember every thing in this world has a melting point
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
Jacek
Rep
Drives: 335i

Does there really need to be a warning on EVERYTHING sold because people dont take the due diligence to research and educate themselves on the consequence of an action BEFORE they do it.

If you went and heated a set of $2500 Volk wheels in a powdercoating oven the same thing could happen.

Th OP destroyed the structural integrity of the wheel by baking it.
There is nothing wrong with VMR wheels.

Th OP is 100% at fault because he altered the product (and damaged it) without consulting the manufacturer.

If you put a hot drinking glass in a sink full of cold water it will explode and shatter. Do we need to put labels on that too? No.

People need to take responsibility for their actions and think/consult others before making assumptions on what will or will not be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
I agree 100% that vmr should at least have a warning on their website it's obvious that they knew about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #13
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

Yes, VMR wheels are inexpensive, but it doesn't mean they are crap or that they are at fault here. It is not their responsibility to post warnings for people who want to alter their wheels. Actually, it is YOUR responsibility to call THEM and ask if powder coating will damage their wheels. Sorry this happened. I have those wheels and love them. No issues whatsoever. I just think it is unfair to say their wheels are crap and to say that you will never put their wheels on your cars again because you damaged them. I understand you not wanting to use them again because you like to alter wheels. But they aren't crap because your alterations didn't work well with them. That's like me saying I curbed and bent one of their wheels and was mad that they didn't warn me to stay away from curbs. And that they are crap because I hit a curb and they bent.

2007 335i Jet Black e90 6MT - Eibachs, magnaflow exhaust, carbon hood, short shift kit, some other random stuff - being sold somewhere sometime soon probably

2010 335i AW e90 6 AT Msport - The GF took this one over... JB4, PE exhaust, Koni yellows/Eibachs, pink badges, fuzzy steering wheel cover ?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #14
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
when you modify a mod and it breaks...

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:22 AM   #15
manu328
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi

I've had my problems with vmr.. 701's... Bent 2 on minor potholes... 18"s... You really get what you pay for... It's amazing how many people get sucked in with attractive pricing.. I'll never purchase them again.. And will continue to warn people....
Appreciate 0