E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 325d / M57 Fluctuation/Cut off

06-16-2023, 12:46 PM   #1
grigelionis.r@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325d

Exclamation 325d / M57 Fluctuation/Cut off

Hello, I've recently had an issue where the car while driving simply turned off, no sounds, no leakage, no smell, zero symptoms. The diagnostics showed crankshaft position sensor and a fuel filter.

Then the car sometimes turned on, worked for like 10mins, and cut offs again and doesn't even start. Then I checked the pressure, the pressure did not rise and the crankshaft sensor did not appear. Fuel arrives towards the engine bay, the fuel filter is in good shape, wich was changed like half a year ago, so in conclusion i changed the high pressure fuel pump R70. Then the car started instantly, worked for like half an hour and cutted off again. Then the CS position sensor again showed up. Changed it, the car started, yesterday i drove around like for 4-5hours, zero problems at all, the car worked fluently, the acceleration was better, faster response. I parked the car, then in around ~20hours i started it, started fine, no symptoms everything was perfect, after ~15mins of driving i Fel that the car started to "fluctuate" while driving, dropped into neutral and i noticed the rpms were pulsating.

I stopped luckily at a gas station nearby and it turned off again! I instantly started it, tried to give it some rpms ăround 4000rpm a few times, the pulsating dissapeared, the car worked fine, without problems, again after approximately 10-15mins, same scenario it started to fluctuate and I gave more throttle, it received in, but in a sloppy way, like i felt the cut outs for like 0.2secs when accelerating this time I turned the engine off. Waited a few mins, started it, and drove back home for the next 10mins perfectly, no pulsating, no problems with acceleration.

My toughs were that the crankshaft position sensor died again, or was faulty? Hence I live in lithuania, common parts are Meyle, so I opted for Meyle sensor.

Engine itself is stock, never in three years had an issue with that, mileage is around 400,000km. Only DPF was removed and programmed out like two years ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 01:35 PM   #2
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

OEM sensor or bust when it comes to the CPS. Have the grounds been checked? Common problem on a bunch of different chassis (e70, e90 etc)

I'd also check behind the rear passenger wheel wheel to see if the battery cables leaving the trunk are corroded. I had this issue and thought it was a bad CPS as well, it wasn't