E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Ohlin Coilovers

01-16-2016, 02:05 AM   #1
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Just got Ohlins installed. Holy shit. 335d FINALLY handles the way it should. I have dumped a considerable amount of dough into my suspension:

delrin subframe bushings
M suspension pieces and control arms
Koni FSD shocks
Upgraded sway bars

Finally pulled the trigger after deciding to give myself a 50 b-day present.

Unreal...these things kick ass and make the Koni FSDs look like a bad joke.

Ride is stiff as hell and smooth as hell. Cannot figure out how the hell they do it. One of those depressing situations that shows you get exactly what you pay for i.e., these things are expensive as hell and worth every damn penny.

Buy yourself some Ohlins!
Appreciate 5
      01-16-2016, 02:09 AM   #2
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

Just purchased a set a few weeks ago as well, and plan to install them next week with a quaife LSD. I'm super stoked to feel the difference! Good to hear that you like the Ohlins
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #3
NC335d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
2006 Nissan Titan SE  [0.00]
2008 MB CLS550  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 SAV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
Just got Ohlins installed. Holy shit. 335d FINALLY handles the way it should. I have dumped a considerable amount of dough into my suspension:

delrin subframe bushings
Koni shocks

Ride is stiff as hell and smooth as hell. Cannot figure out how the hell they do it. One of those depressing situations that shows you get exactly what you pay for i.e., these things are expensive as hell and worth every damn penny.

Congrats Chief!! I got a set of Ohlins as well. I also got the Swift Springs upgrade as well as the M3 rear setup w/ M3 camber arms. A couple of questions. A) Did you install camber plates as well, if so where did you set them at? B) What what stiffness settings are your front and rears set to?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #4
shnaggs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDi

Quote:

delrin subframe bushings
Koni shocks

Which ohlins did you get? Part # and where did you purchase from? I bet the car is sick now! Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #5
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep

Very cool thanks for sharing. Did you install yourself? if not, approx. install cost?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #6
DWR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Knowing your orientation toward having someone else figure these things out (no disrespect intented), you have made a very good choice . Ohlins get high praises in all kinds vehicles and applications. A good suspension is one that maintains composure and inspires confidence - sounds like that is what you have.

Congrats on joining the five oh club. It's not so bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:09 AM   #7
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC335d
Quote:

delrin subframe bushings
Koni shocks

Congrats Chief!! I got a set of Ohlins as well. I also got the Swift Springs upgrade as well as the M3 rear setup w/ M3 camber arms. A couple of questions. A) Did you install camber plates as well, if so where did you set them at? B) What what stiffness settings are your front and rears set to?

Thanks!
I didn't put in any special camber plates. I also went with the recommended out of the box Ohlins setting which is pretty damn perfect. I might tighten them a tiny bit but Christ these things ride nicely. I'm blown away by how much better they are than the Koni FSDs.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:10 AM   #8
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnaggs
Quote:

delrin subframe bushings
Koni shocks

Which ohlins did you get? Part # and where did you purchase from? I bet the car is sick now! Thanks for sharing!
Just bought the Road and Track for the e90
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:24 AM   #9
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR
Knowing your orientation toward having someone else figure these things out (no disrespect intented), you have made a very good choice . Ohlins get high praises in all kinds vehicles and applications. A good suspension is one that maintains composure and inspires confidence - sounds like that is what you have.

Congrats on joining the five oh club. It's not so bad.
DWR no offense taken. It is terrific that folks like me can learn so much on these boards. Grateful for all the free guidance.

With many of the mods made to my car over the years the results were nice, but not necessarily transformative (m3 suspension bits). The Ohlins fall into the latter category...transformative and worth every damn penny. The driving behavior is so improved that it is noticeable every time I push the car's handling limits. In fact, the 335d no longer feels the least bit squirrelly or dangerous at the limit. I can pitch the car around like a go-kart and the behavior is totally controlled. Never owned a car that handles as well as this one now does.

This is a must do mod that I had some real trepidation about given the price.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 06:51 AM   #10
NC335d
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
2006 Nissan Titan SE  [0.00]
2008 MB CLS550  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 SAV  [0.00]
Quote:
I didn't put in any special camber plates. I also went with the recommended out of the box Ohlins setting which is pretty damn perfect. I might tighten them a tiny bit but Christ these things ride nicely. I'm blown away by how much better they are than the Koni FSDs.

Awesome, thanks. I can't wait to get my car back. I've had the suspension sitting in the box waiting for the Megan Racing toe arms to come in because they were on back order.

Just out of curiosity, what tire and wheel setup are you running?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #11
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Ohlins are amazing. First time i went for a drive when i got them i was stunned. I don't know how they make the so comfortable but firm as well! I changed the rear spring for custom swifts, as i found the rear rate too soft.

10f 10r is recommended and is good for daily. But if you want to push it try doing 2f and rear.

Your car must feel awesome now. I have got some subframe bushes and m3 arms waiting to be fitted, may do later this year.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 10:28 AM   #12
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC335d
Quote:

Awesome, thanks. I can't wait to get my car back. I've had the suspension sitting in the box waiting for the Megan Racing toe arms to come in because they were on back order.

Just out of curiosity, what tire and wheel setup are you running?
F 225 45 17 Continental Extreme
R 255 40 17 Continental Extreme

just swapped out the Bridgestone so4 pole position for the Continentals. I like the Continentals way more than the Bridgestones. if you dig into the test numbers on the Tire Rack comparison tests it is really a draw between the two tires. you wouldn't know this from reading the headline results from the comparison tests. the Continentals are fantastic, more comfortable than the Bridgestones, grip just as well on dry pavement and are totally amazing on wet pavement.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #13
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17
Ohlins are amazing. First time i went for a drive when i got them i was stunned. I don't know how they make the so comfortable but firm as well! I changed the rear spring for custom swifts, as i found the rear rate too soft.

10f 10r is recommended and is good for daily. But if you want to push it try doing 2f and rear.

Your car must feel awesome now. I have got some subframe bushes and m3 arms waiting to be fitted, may do later this year.
Amen. Not totally clear on settings or rear springs so any guidance would be greatly appreciated. If I understand correctly it sounds like a lot of folks swap out the rear springs you mentioned for what I assume are the stock springs that come with the Ohlins R&T kit? Please help me understand. How do the increments work on the Ohlins?

First Swedish auto part I have ever bought...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 11:59 AM   #14
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Amen. Not totally clear on settings or rear springs so any guidance would be greatly appreciated. If I understand correctly it sounds like a lot of folks swap out the rear springs you mentioned for what I assume are the stock springs that come with the Ohlins R&T kit? Please help me understand. How do the increments work on the Ohlins?

Yes, a few people have swapped out the rear stock Ohlins spring for stiffer swifts, but some people are happy to leave them in. It kinda depends on what you're after.

Regarding the increments, i imagine you mean the damper settings? If so, turn the adjusters fully clockwise. This is now setting number 1. Each click counter clockwise increases the setting by 1.

Here are the stock Ohlins spring specs, in case you ever need them in future calculations:

Front: Progressive 343lb/in 8" in length
Rear: Progressive 400lb/in 10" in length

Looking at the spring rates, it all looks good. But you have to take into account the motion ratio. The motion ratio is kind of like the angle of the spring, so it affects the spring rate the actual wheel experiences (wheel rate). So if you imagine a stiff spring at 45 degrees, the wheel won't "feel" the same rate vertically. It will be less. Also, motion ratio of 1 will not change the Wheel rate at all. Formula for wheel rate is WR = MR x MR x Spring Rate.

Front motion ratio for the E9X is 0.96, and rear is 0.563. So with stock Ohlins springs:

Front Wheel rate = 0.96 x 0.96 x 343 = 316lb/in
Rear Wheel rate = 0.563 x 0.563 x 400 = 127lb/in

So the rear is a lot softer than the front. If you plug in 672lb/in (swift rate i went for, you can go higher, people go up to 800lb/in), the rear wheel rate is 213lb/in. So, a little closer to the front but still room for improvement. But to be honest 672 feels good for me, and i will leave them as they are as i want to fit all the m3 arms and subframe bushes which should firm up the rear even more. If i want more at that stage, then i will look at higher spring rates.

If you really want to delve into this, suspension frequency is what really should be looked at, as it takes into account sprung weight. So for this you will need good estimates of your sprung weight for each corner. This is probably the best article, and explains it much better than me. It also gives you a calculator for the above and suspension frequency http://www.blackartdynamics.com/Chas...es/Springs.php

But i'd say give your Ohlins a few months and get used to it. The above is all theory, and in the real world there are so many different factors in what you experience, including personal preferences. One of the great drivers on this forum Marcel (Alpina_B3_Lux) has left the stock Ohlins in, and he drives the Nurburgring all the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #15
Got_Diesel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

ohlins are amazing! i've ridden motorcycles with them and ones without. wow, just wow.
      01-17-2016, 09:00 PM   #16
QUIKDZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
F 225 45 17 Continental Extreme
R 255 40 17 Continental Extreme

just swapped out the Bridgestone so4 pole position for the Continentals. I like the Continentals way more then the Bridgestones. if you dig into the test numbers on the Tire Rack comparison tests it is really a draw between the two tires. you wouldn't know this from reading the headline results from the comparison tests. the Continentals are fantastic, more comfortable than the Bridgestones, grip just as well on dry pavement and are totally amazing on wet pavement.
Are you running these on stock wheels? Will 255 40 17 tires fit on the stock wheels?
      01-17-2016, 11:02 PM   #17
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, a few people have swapped out the rear stock Ohlins spring for stiffer swifts, but some people are happy to leave them in. It kinda depends on what you're after.

Regarding the increments, i imagine you mean the damper settings? If so, turn the adjusters fully clockwise. This is now setting number 1. Each click counter clockwise increases the setting by 1.

Here are the stock Ohlins spring specs, in case you ever need them in future calculations:

Front: Progressive 343lb/in 8" in length
Rear: Progressive 400lb/in 10" in length

Looking at the spring rates, it all looks good. But you have to take into account the motion ratio. The motion ratio is kind of like the angle of the spring, so it affects the spring rate the actual wheel experiences (wheel rate). So if you imagine a stiff spring at 45 degrees, the wheel won't "feel" the same rate vertically. It will be less. Also, motion ratio of 1 will not change the Wheel rate at all. Formula for wheel rate is WR = MR x MR x Spring Rate.

Front motion ratio for the E9X is 0.96, and rear is 0.563. So with stock Ohlins springs:

Front Wheel rate = 0.96 x 0.96 x 343 = 316lb/in
Rear Wheel rate = 0.563 x 0.563 x 400 = 127lb/in

So the rear is a lot softer than the front. If you plug in 672lb/in (swift rate i went for, you can go higher, people go up to 800lb/in), the rear wheel rate is 213lb/in. So, a little closer to the front but still room for improvement. But to be honest 672 feels good for me, and i will leave them as they are as i want to fit all the m3 arms and subframe bushes which should firm up the rear even more. If i want more at that stage, then i will look at higher spring rates.

If you really want to delve into this, suspension frequency is what really should be looked at, as it takes into account sprung weight. So for this you will need good estimates of your sprung weight for each corner. This is probably the best article, and explains it much better than me. It also gives you a calculator for the above and suspension frequency http://www.blackartdynamics.com/Chas...es/Springs.php

But i'd say give your Ohlins a few months and get used to it. The above is all theory, and in the real world there are so many different factors in what you experience, including personal preferences. One of the great drivers on this forum Marcel (Alpina_B3_Lux) has left the stock Ohlins in, and he drives the Nurburgring all the time.
Thanks MOB17...really great stuff...learned a lot. This is exactly what makes enthusiast sites like these so helpful to those of us who are less technically literate.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #18
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Just drove on Hwy 1 from Mill Valley to Stinson Beach in Nor Cal. 5 am, no cops, glass smooth twisting road, sun rising over the Pacific,[IMG][/IMG] Ohlins are unreal, incredible drive, did a lot of the steering with the gas peddle, methanol spraying, etc. Heaven.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #19
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Looks very nice chief, glad you are enjoying your new set up. Have you played around with the damper settings yet?

I wish we had more scenic roads in England.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #20
Poosik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Nice Cheif!
Good to hear the Ohlins are smooth. Roads here in new england area are pretty bad - lots of imperfections/cracks/potholes. To me the base d suspension feels go cart like- loudly registering each bump while beating up passengers.
I'm not going to ever track the car, but want a smooth non jarring ride. DO you think the Ohlins are "overkill" for my application?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #21
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poosik
Nice Cheif!
Good to hear the Ohlins are smooth. Roads here in new england area are pretty bad - lots of imperfections/cracks/potholes. To me the base d suspension feels go cart like- loudly registering each bump while beating up passengers.
I'm not going to ever track the car, but want a smooth non jarring ride. DO you think the Ohlins are "overkill" for my application?
Absolutely not...they are fantastic. I never go to the track, but appreciate really great handling. (It is kind of shocking how bad the base suspension and even the sport suspension is on this car for a small BMW.) Moreover I am too old to want to be pounded in my car with an overkill suspension setup. What makes the Ohlins so damn good is you get both...killer handling, great ride. Frankly I am surprised more folks on this board aren't running Ohlins giving our demonstrated willingness to dump money into this beast. There is a reason why these things cost more than twice as much as Koni FSDs. By the way, the fact that you can rebuild the Ohlins makes the high price easier to stomach.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #22
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks very nice chief, glad you are enjoying your new set up. Have you played around with the damper settings yet?

I wish we had more scenic roads in England.
Mob not yet but hope to on Friday.

Doesn't Scotland have some great roads? I know if you are in the south that is like telling someone in California that Washington state has great roads, but still.
Appreciate 0