E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > No AC and no codes

07-14-2023, 05:43 PM   #1
Scubudo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
No AC and no codes

2011 335D, 155K miles, Deleted

My AC compressor suddenly stopped working about 2 weeks ago. The inside controls function normally, I just can't get any cooling. I was driving at the time it stopped working and up until that time it was cooling great. The cooling stopped working right about the time I came to a stop due to traffic exiting the freeway. I didn't hear or feel anything that would suggest that the compressor imploded.

So far, I have confirmed that the belt is in place and turning, but with a variable compressor there is no cycling of the clutch to indicate if it is getting any signal.
The pressure in the AC is about 152 PSI and doesn't fluctuate at startup (indicating that the compressor is not doing anything).

Fuses all look good.

There are no codes in the ECM.

For reasons I can't fully explain, I am unable to access the cooling module using INPA. Although I am able to control the fan and other control settings with BavTech, but it too doesn’t seem to be able to give me any AC parameters from the sensors.

At this point I gave up and took the vehicle to an indy, who (when I dropped it off with him) said that he had a device he could plug directly into the compressor to control it independently. However, after looking things over (rather than saying the compressor doesn't respond to signal) he instead said that he was "almost positive that the compressor was getting signal". When pressed further he said he was over 99.5% sure" (but didn't explain how he reached that conclusion).
Surprisingly, (rather than giving me an estimate for him to repair it) he instead said that he didn't have the “special tool” to remove and replace the belt. When I told him that I had the tool (rather than accepting my offer for him to use it) he instead suggested that I may wish to replace the compressor myself.
At this point he offered to evacuate the system and said he would reprogram the new compressor after I installed it.
This was the 1st time I have asked anyone to work on this vehicle. I know little about this indy (other than that he seemed polite, respectful, and seemed concerned about how costly repairs on such a vehicle could be. Meanwhile, if he doesn't have the tool to remove/replace the belt (unless the diesels are unique), I assume that he doesn't work on BMW ACs.

At any rate, it seems strange to me that if the AC module were directing the compressor to do its thing, and no pressure was being generated that the ECM would detect a malfunction through the pressure sensors and generate a code. So…before I just start replacing parts, I thought I should find out if anyone here has experienced anything similar.
Appreciate 0