E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Even I didn't think it would be this quick

01-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #111
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Fantastic change Andrew!

I love the SLS and whilst I liked the XKR-S, it was a bit too in-your-face for me. The SLS styling is much more classy and they are firmly on my dream car list!

Delighted to hear your positive experience of the car sale.
      01-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #112
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooky View Post
I love the SLS and whilst I liked the XKR-S, it was a bit too in-your-face for me. The SLS styling is much more classy and they are firmly on my dream car list!
I'm glad those gullwing doors aren't too 'in-your-face'

So, Jag gone already, when do you collect the 'footballers' Merc??
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #113
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Quote:
Fantastic change Andrew!

Delighted to hear your positive experience of the car sale.
Thanks...not as delighted as I am that it 'worked'! Having never dealt with the likes of these companies before, I was a bit apprehensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post

Next Saturday I'm going to particurly like using those doors....Vicki has already knocked herself out on them
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #114
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Andrew, definately not for you if you exceed the miles by 18000. That would cost an extra £4300! Excess mile charge is 20p ( or maybe even 22p) per mile plus VAT.

It will just have to sit on the drive!

My bet is that you won't keep the RRS, your powers of negotiation and persuasion will get you a 350 sport coupe on budget!
I wish my porka was 20p a mile, mine is 31p plus the VAT

CRACKING price though, £470 is cheap for a 640d
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #115
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
I wish my porka was 20p a mile, mine is 31p plus the VAT

CRACKING price though, £470 is cheap for a 640d
Christ the Lord above....another reason why leasing really isn't for me.

People of the forum....if I ever come on here shouting about a fantastic lease deal, DO NOT LET ME NEAR IT!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #116
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Christ the Lord above....another reason why leasing really isn't for me.

People of the forum....if I ever come on here shouting about a fantastic lease deal, DO NOT LET ME NEAR IT!
Mine is not a lease, its pcp
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #117
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Mine is not a lease, its pcp

But then on a PCP, it only matters if you hand the car back and walk away.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #118
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yep, I only do 9000 a year so setting it at 10k is fine. If I cannot sell mine in may time I will hand it back, I am 1500 under at the mo so no big fees.

Have to admit Porsche finance is good as long as you don't go over the mileage. My 911 comes out at less than half the cost to what you were quoted on the m6.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #119
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Nice car. Good sound.

The leeds player El Hadji Diouf has one in silver chrome - I had a little 'convoy drive' with him on the M621 a few weeks back.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #120
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Have to admit Porsche finance is good as long as you don't go over the mileage. My 911 comes out at less than half the cost to what you were quoted on the m6.
Totally agree - in fact, Porsche finance is in a league of its own.

My (used) 997 Turbo was also a finance bargain for such an expensive car and, as well as the SLS and M6, I also looked at a 991 this week with the view that it would actually save me a fortune! I had a test drive booked in a new C2S on Thursday but finally plumped for the offer in the SLS before I got there - the offer I had and the car itself was just too good to miss.

I know you're not a fan of the 991 but I thought it was great inside - the seats, driving position and general design of the interior had such strong showroom appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Nice car. Good sound.
Thanks Matt
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #121
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

BTW -thanks for the write up on WWAC and WBAC. I've never thought about using them. But will give the X540D a go on it. Just ordered a Fabia VRS today so will try selling the X5 from next week and use the fast datsum as DD until VRS arrives.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #122
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Nice car. Good sound.

The leeds player El Hadji Diouf has one in silver chrome - I had a little 'convoy drive' with him on the M621 a few weeks back.

Matt
I would ram that absolute scum of the earth off the road.

Otherwise what a car Andrew. A pretty mental choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 02:37 AM   #123
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
BTW -thanks for the write up on WWAC and WBAC. I've never thought about using them. But will give the X540D a go on it. Just ordered a Fabia VRS today so will try selling the X5 from next week and use the fast datsum as DD until VRS arrives.
X5 to a Fabia, that's quite a change!!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 04:25 AM   #124
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Totally agree - in fact, Porsche finance is in a league of its own.

My (used) 997 Turbo was also a finance bargain for such an expensive car and, as well as the SLS and M6, I also looked at a 991 this week with the view that it would actually save me a fortune! I had a test drive booked in a new C2S on Thursday but finally plumped for the offer in the SLS before I got there - the offer I had and the car itself was just too good to miss.

I know you're not a fan of the 991 but I thought it was great inside - the seats, driving position and general design of the interior had such strong showroom appeal.
Andrew, the 991 is a cracking car and the interior is second to none. Would I have one mmm yes, this is not something I would have said 6 or so months ago. The 991 is an all round sports car which looks, drives and rides like nothing else and its for that reason I would have one. I am moving away from the noisy, hard sports car which the 997 is and the 991 is not. Don't get me wrong the 991 is a very good sports car but its more of a gt and that's what I would now prefer. (must be getting old)

Personally I don't think a 991 would last in your hands as its just not special enough (not that it isn't special) You have had a M6 and again I just don't think its special enough after the xkrs..

The sls on the other hand is something very special which is why I think its the best choice, although I reckon we will be commenting on a thread like this in 6-8 months
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #125
Darkeeboy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5M50i

You ever thought of joining an exotic car club instead of swapping motors frequently?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #126
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Dude, seriously. That's freakin' mental! An SLS to save on running costs, really... That must be the quote of 2013 so far, at least for me. Can't wait to tell that to my friends so that they see how reasonable I am in comparison!

It's a great car, though. More or less the same engine as in your previous C63, but optimised with dry-sump, carbon cardan shaft and a different intake. And of course the chassis of the SLS with the much lower center of gravity. The German car magazine sport auto was duly impressed (read here: sport auto supertest SLS AMG) and drove it in 7:40 minutes around the Nordschleife, which is really, really fast.

I don't much like the shape of it (ain't much into that retro stuff myself), except the gullwing doors which are quite cool, but tastes differ of course. My fav' car of your recent ones was the black XK-R, one beautiful car that was.

Don't you think you might miss the torque of the XKR-S? Not that the SLS doesn't have some either, but a supercharged car is IMO more serene in daily driving.

In any case, congrats to that ride! I'm really looking forward to hitch a ride in that with you. But I guess you won't want to drive that on the 'Ring either, or will you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
I'm actually in the process of working out a deal on an E350CDi coupe (trying to get the dealer to £500pm for a brand new one with Nav and no deposit!) as all E-Class variants I've driven have been rattle free!
Hmmm, here in Germany we say that if we want to drive a Merc we call a taxi!

But I understand your issues with the MPG - actually that's why I got us a second 3 series two weeks ago. A 330d E91 LCI actually - it stayed without a remap for 4 hours...

Alpina_B3_Lux
      01-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #127
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Oh, and I forgot:

Alpina_B3_Lux
      01-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #128
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post

Fair point Rog!

I guess I was forgetting about the gullwing doors! With the doors closed, it looks less in your face than the electric blue XKR-S!!

Do the doors open out from the car? i.e. do you need a really wide space to actually get out of the car? Never seen the doors open up close!
      01-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #129
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Do the doors open out from the car? i.e. do you need a really wide space to actually get out of the car? Never seen the doors open up close!
I can't comment on the SLS specifically, but I am a total DeLorean geek and I know that the DMC12 actually requires less space for the gullwing door to open that that of a traditionally hinged door.

Given the pivot point of the SLS door I'd say the same is true, certainly to the point where it requires no more space.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #130
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Some more millionaire boy racers opening the doors....

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #131
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
You ever thought of joining an exotic car club instead of swapping motors frequently?
Oddly enough, no....never. The thought of just a few hours every few weeks in a nice car, despite the ability for it to change every few weeks, just doesn't appeal. I mean, what would I have to wax on a weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Dude, seriously. That's freakin' mental! An SLS to save on running costs, really... That must be the quote of 2013 so far, at least for me. Can't wait to tell that to my friends so that they see how reasonable I am in comparison!

It's a great car, though. More or less the same engine as in your previous C63, but optimised with dry-sump, carbon cardan shaft and a different intake. And of course the chassis of the SLS with the much lower center of gravity. The German car magazine sport auto was duly impressed (read here: sport auto supertest SLS AMG) and drove it in 7:40 minutes around the Nordschleife, which is really, really fast.

I don't much like the shape of it (ain't much into that retro stuff myself), except the gullwing doors which are quite cool, but tastes differ of course. My fav' car of your recent ones was the black XK-R, one beautiful car that was.

Don't you think you might miss the torque of the XKR-S? Not that the SLS doesn't have some either, but a supercharged car is IMO more serene in daily driving.

In any case, congrats to that ride! I'm really looking forward to hitch a ride in that with you. But I guess you won't want to drive that on the 'Ring either, or will you?

Hmmm, here in Germany we say that if we want to drive a Merc we call a taxi!

Alpina_B3_Lux
Unbelievable but true - the SLS is costing me considerably less every month than the XKR-S!

Funnily enough when I drove it, a lack of torque even compared to the XKR-S wasn't an observation I made Indeed, if anything it felt more instantly responsive - I guess that although it's only 5% more powerful and have 20lb/ft less torque than the Jag, it is 250kg+ lighter so it's power/torque to weight is significantly higher.

There will be no ring driving without suitable insurance I'm afraid...I mean, would you if you weren't suitably covered? Too much to lose and a risk too far for me

Lets catch up later in the year and we'll see just how well the ultimate driving machine stacks up to the taxi Was discussing with a friend today how might just pop over to the Pistenklause for a steak in the next few weeks and drive back the next day because, well, what better use for a car like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
I can't comment on the SLS specifically, but I am a total DeLorean geek and I know that the DMC12 actually requires less space for the gullwing door to open that that of a traditionally hinged door.

Given the pivot point of the SLS door I'd say the same is true, certainly to the point where it requires no more space.
It's the same - very wide (2.1m) car but the doors need hardly any extra width to open. Also, with the doors open, the height requirement is still less than in say our Range Rover Sport.

Just 5 days to go. I haven't been this excited for a car....well, ever. One of my friends that I work with said he's never seen me like this about a car so this bodes well, assuming reality lives up to expectation! They say never meet your hero's
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #132
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

Jesus Christ Palmnuts! Feels like yesterday reading the new Jag thread. That blue beasty was (in my eyes) a bit nicer though. I'm certainly not saying I don't like the Merc because I do, but the Jag was totally stunning.

I hope it brings a big smile to your face. You change cars quicker than I do lol.

Looking forward to the next thread like this...in May
Appreciate 0