E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > "Shaky" xenons

12-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #1
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

"Shaky" xenons

I have tried searching on the forums, but haven't had much luck (and I know I've seen a tutorial/DIY on how to fix this):

My headlights "shake" over bumps, and I know there are one (a couple?) of screws that can be tightened inside the headlight housing that can alleviate this problem altogether.

When I installed the LUX angel eyes, I checked the tightness of the screws that were in the immediate area of the AE's, and tightened them.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the thread(s) that show the DIY?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
RocketSurgeon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Manual, CBR650F

Is the whole headlight wiggling a little bit, or is it just the projector inside the headlight?
There's a common issue with weak mounting tabs on the top of the headlight. BMW makes a repair kit with new tabs. Can you easily wiggle the headlight up and down.
If the projector is loose inside the headlight, you may need to open the headlight to fix a broken adjuster.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #3
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
Is the whole headlight wiggling a little bit, or is it just the projector inside the headlight?
There's a common issue with weak mounting tabs on the top of the headlight. BMW makes a repair kit with new tabs. Can you easily wiggle the headlight up and down.
If the projector is loose inside the headlight, you may need to open the headlight to fix a broken adjuster.
It's the projectors; the housings are solidly mounted & the housing tabs are perfect (not cracked/broken/loose).

I seem to remember someone made a DIY on how to tighten the projectors. It was (IIRC) only 2 or 3 screws to tighten.

I tightened the ones I could see/reach while installing the LUX AE, but those were not the screws that stop the projectors from wiggling inside the housing.
Appreciate 1
GoRomeo1004.00
      12-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #4
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

It's normal. Don't worry about it. They all do it.

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
Krynos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 335i, F10 528i

I occasionally see it too at night - I can tell it's my headlights shaking in the reflections on the freeway signs. It's not all the time - pretty rare. I'm guessing the road vibration has to perfectly get in sync with the resonant frequency of the headlight mountings - which of course are not fixed - with adaptive headlights there is going to be some movement.

I did take mine into BMW and have them check it out - the said there was no issue. They had no cause to deflect me, as my third party aftermarket warrantee would have paid for a replacement if there was an issue. Also, I really trust my S.A.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
rsyed07
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 330i, E92 13' 335is

Mine does it, its normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynos View Post
I occasionally see it too at night - I can tell it's my headlights shaking in the reflections on the freeway signs. It's not all the time - pretty rare. I'm guessing the road vibration has to perfectly get in sync with the resonant frequency of the headlight mountings - which of course are not fixed - with adaptive headlights there is going to be some movement.

I did take mine into BMW and have them check it out - the said there was no issue. They had no cause to deflect me, as my third party aftermarket warrantee would have paid for a replacement if there was an issue. Also, I really trust my S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsyed07 View Post
Mine does it, its normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben View Post
It's normal. Don't worry about it. They all do it.
It's true, (normal to have movement to some extent), but I've had several times where if I'm on a bumpy stretch of road (making the projectors jiggle), the oncoming traffic has flashed their lights at me.

I'm thinking the projector movement I'm experiencing is a bit higher than normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
MTK24
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335I X Drive

It is normal.

The BMW Xenon headlights look cool and all but absolute shit on the design of the headlight. I have had the vertical aim adjuster break and fall out of place over a speed bump on my drivers side causing the light to point down on the ground...

.. and on my passenger side the headlight assembly lens glue come off due to heat and cause condensation in the headlight.
      12-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #9
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

I also have a 2006 330i and I noticed the same shaking in my xenons. It's most obvious when I go over the speed bumps in the parking garage at work. I figured it was normal behavior because the headlights are supposed to self-level, and moving parts don't like to be jostled around like that.

If it's not so bad that it's actually impairing your vision when the lights flicker, I wouldn't bother. This is a very minuscule problem that you will have a hard time communicating to an indy, much less a dealer, and that nobody will want to try to fix on your 10-year-old German car