E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Detailing Process

08-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #1
ChrisBimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 JB 328i Convertible

Detailing Process

Hey Everyone, Thanks for the weatlh of info. Question, and please correct me if I am wrong.

To properly detail you must: wash, dry, clay, polish, sealant, and wax-right?

I heard to only polish 2 times a year. Between those what should you do?

-2011 328i Convertible | Jet Black | Oyster and Black Dakota Leather | Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim | Premium Package | Nav | Cold Weather Package
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 02:28 AM   #2
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

wash and wax in between

seal accordingly. for example, if your sealant lasts 3-4 months, i would strip everything every 3 months and reseal it then. just to be safe
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
ChrisBimmer
United_States
Rep

So in between sealent you just wash, dry, and wax-no clay? I heard waxing your car alot is bad, is that true?

-2011 328i Convertible | Jet Black | Oyster and Black Dakota Leather | Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim | Premium Package | Nav | Cold Weather Package
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Your detail process and step sequence is conceptually correct and that is what is typically suggested as the semi-annual processes for standard daily drive vehicles. In between semi annual full details simply wash and keep a layer of sealant or wax on the paint.

Waxing your car at unnecessary intervals isn't, IMO, a good idea. SpecC hit on the fact that you need to determine how long your wax or sealant lasts before needing another layer of that protection. True sealants last longer than organic waxes and don't need to be reapplied as often. Carnauba waxes are more perishable and don't last as long. The selection of what type of LSP you chose is purely subjective based on the look you want, amount of energy expended to apply/remove and other factors. Some, on the other hand, like the looks, depth whatever of additional layers of LSP and apply once a week, month etc. Again, very subjective and if you want to get adversarial quickly try to debate that topic!

Doing anything that introduces unintended friction or abrasion to the paint surface is not a good idea e.g. washing, drying, waxing, rubbing dust off etc. I say unintended because your semi annual buff and polish is intended to cut down or lightly abrade away the surface marring introduced over the past 4-6 months of washing, drying and, yes, waxing. Unintended abrasion is inevitable. The trick is to eliminate marring from the things you do in between details - washing, drying, and waxing - and one way is to wax only when you need it. That goes for claying also. Feel the paint and determine if you need to vs. just doing it because you think it's a good idea to clean the paint. For example I clay about every 18 months. It simply doesn't need it any more than that in my garaged environment. Others may need it much more often because of their operating conditions. The point is to do those things only when needed.

Please understand these are just my opinions based on my experience. I like this board because so many offer good, contrary opinions to the way I do things and as such I've learned quite a bit because of it. I remain open minded to just about anything.

Last edited by pander5; 08-24-2008 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
ChrisBimmer
United_States
Rep

So generally what's your time frame?

I'm thinking wash/dry/wax once a week

Buff in spring and fall

I understand it's based on what your car is subjected to but my concern is damaging the paint by waxing or washing too much? I'm sure it's possible... But once a week doesn't seem too much to me?

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBimmer View Post
So generally what's your time frame?

Buff in spring and fall

I understand it's based on what your car is subjected to but my concern is damaging the paint by waxing or washing too much? I'm sure it's possible... But once a week doesn't seem too much to me?
it won't hurt as long as your technique is good. Look up the two bucket method if you don't know of it already.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
You can wash and wax your car as long as you have it and with no fear of ruining the paint unless as SpecC says you're doing it wrong.

As SpecC mentions use the 2 bucket method, get a decent wash soap and quality wash mitt, some MF drying towels and you're good to go with the wash and dry. I've washed my cars once a week for probably 15 years and I've never encountered any type of paint failure.

As far as wax goes it depends on how frequently you'll need to reapply to keep it going. You mention once a week wax sessions. Is that based on a product you'll be using that you know will only last a week? Just trying to determine what your schedule may be based on wax used.
      08-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
ChrisBimmer
United_States
Rep

I haven't yet bought wax so I'm not sure. I'm just guessing....Normally I wash my cars on Sunday and whatever else goes along with it. I don't know if it is necessary to wax once a week but I assume what you all are saying is wax when you NEED it, so determine how long it will last and so forth. I think I understand everything you are saying...polishing and claying is new to me, but I'm sure it can't be that hard.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #9
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
...polishing and claying is new to me, but I'm sure it can't be that hard.
Depends on a lot of things. I spent 30 minutes washing/drying, then 3 hours on just one side of my small pickup bed. Granted there were some major scratches to hit with rubbing compound between/in addition to polishing with power gloss, then SIP. My arm is killing me, and my fingers are sore.
Claying isn't all that physically demanding, it's just that repetitive motion of moving the clay back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and . . .
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

I'd use Zaino, and go with the following schedule:

One or twice a year (your choice)

1. Wash (Z7)/Dry
2. Clay (Z18)
3. Machine polish (if necessary - your choice)
4. Light polish/clean paint (ZAIO)
5. Seal (Z2)

Once a month:

1. Wash (Z7)/Dry
2. Use Zaino spray sealant for extra protection (Z8)

In between (whenever you feel like it/have the time):

1. Wash (Z7)/Dry
2. Wipe down with a quick detailer (Z6)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Wash once a week; wax when either of these conditions is met:

1) water doesn't bead on the paint anymore
2) you're no longer happy with your depth-of-shine

Personally, I vote to just skip the wax and re-apply sealant when the water doesn't bead nicely anymore. I'd be surprised if it's necessary more often than every 2-3 months unless your soap is too aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 03:20 PM   #12
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

I've found that the Zaino stuff is really easy to use. Don't understand when people say it's too hard to work with. I wash about every week, put a new layer of Z2 about every 6 weeks. I'm in the process of paint correction/polish. Once I get all the panels done I'm going to use the alcohol/water mist to clean real good, then put about 3 layers of Z2 w/ZFX and be done for a few months other than normal wash (Z7) and once in a while Z8 to make it shine a bit more.
On those weeks when I add an extra layer of Z2, it only adds about 30 minutes total, including the wait time, to cover an E90, by hand. I apply, put all my stuff away except the final MF towels, then wipe it down. Sometimes I do the windows during the wait, if I want to leave it on a bit longer. Less is plenty!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
ChrisBimmer
United_States
Rep

ok, question

with the zaino quick detailer, you spray it on, wipe it off? Just wondering how that works. I think I understand the rest. Machine polish only if swirl marks are present, correct? I don't think i should have that problem much. Thanks for the info, i'm picking her up tomm at 4 PM. Can't wait.

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Spray on Z8, wipe around to cover, flip MF cloth to other side and wipe to a shine. Usually take 3 shots on the hood, two on the roof, one on the trunk, one on each 1/4 panel. Cake walk!

AW tomorrow, right? Swirls probably won't be visible much until you get out a halogen, or let the dealer prep it for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #15
ChrisBimmer
United_States
Rep

I'm letting the dealer prep but figure I won't machine polish till I'm ready to put it away for the winter. Well, not away but limited use for harsh winter. If I'm keeping her in a garage all winter is their anything I need to do besides turning her on once in a while?

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 04:46 PM   #16
gravediggingaditch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92

i didn't (and wouldn't) let the dealer touch it -
I asked them to leave all plastic wrapping, etc on it and told them I would do it myself.
There really isn't much dirt on there in the first place so doing it yourself, even if you don't know what you are doing, isn't a bad idea.
Taking this extra step will save you time in the future and damage to your baby.
I had a pro come by my house the next day and give it a serious prep tho - I don't regret it and will do it with every car I own from now on.

BMW 335i - e92 Ordered: 4.23.08 Picked Up: 6.19.08
Blk Saph, Black Lthr, Alum, 230s, Man, Prem Pkg, Sprt Pkg, Navi, Prk Dst, CA, iPod, Cstm Pedals, Pntd Reflctrs, GP Thundrs, 30% Huper Optik Tints / 60% Wndshld, Euro Fogs
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #17
ChrisBimmer
United_States
Rep

I think I have figured it all out except I am concerned with polishing with a PC. How exactly is that done? Difficult? I have never done that before. Wash/Dry/Clay/Polish/Seal/Wax (Think thats the order) seem easy enough its polishing im rather confused about...

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:02 PM   #18
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

If you don't let the dealer prep it for you, you should be able to drop the polish portion at this point. Wash/clay/seal or wax. Some seal, some wax, some do both.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #19
choopy
Juicy Booty NomNoMnom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3 Vert/2005 M3 Competition

In a Nut shell::::Wash weekly; Wax when water stops beading off of your paint; Polish when you see swirls, marrs, water spots that cant be removed, and when paint dulls up.
      08-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #20
gravediggingaditch
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
If you don't let the dealer prep it for you, you should be able to drop the polish portion at this point. Wash/clay/seal or wax. Some seal, some wax, some do both.
Exactly!

I've got a black sapphire car - no polishing needed because nobody washes it but me. NO SWIRLS on my car whatsoever - i am careful when I was my car every weekend. I love my Saturday morning wash.

Blk Saph, Black Lthr, Alum, 230s, Man, Prem Pkg, Sprt Pkg, Navi, Prk Dst, CA, iPod, Cstm Pedals, Pntd Reflctrs, GP Thundrs, 30% Huper Optik Tints / 60% Wndshld, Euro Fogs
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #21
chazzz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Chrysler 300S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravediggingaditch View Post
Exactly!

I've got a black sapphire car - no polishing needed because nobody washes it but me. NO SWIRLS on my car whatsoever - i am careful when I was my car every weekend. I love my Saturday morning wash.
Your car is dark-painted color and you don't have any swirls at all. How do you dry your car? with a waffle-type cloth??

My car is Montego Blue, and it doesn't have any swirl marks after the detailer removed them last week. I don't want to have swirl marks again in the future.

CURRENT - 2018 Chrysler 300S, Crystal Granite Metallic.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #22
gravediggingaditch
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzz View Post
Your car is dark-painted color and you don't have any swirls at all. How do you dry your car? with a waffle-type cloth??

My car is Montego Blue, and it doesn't have any swirl marks after the detailer removed them last week. I don't want to have swirl marks again in the future.
I try to exercise patience and care every time i wash the car. . . .the soap should take off the dirt for you - no pressure on the paint whether washing or drying. My formula is simply soap suds via a foam gun + the 2 bucket method w/ 2 mitts (soap on both mitts). . .I'm even going to start putting soap in the rinse bucket to add more protection (credit to joyriide1113 for that idea).

when it comes to drying - i let the hose do most of the work - if you take the nozzle off and hold the water flowing on the hood, slowly work the flow in the direction so that the water "sheets" off. the flow of the water should grab the water and there should be almost no water left on the paint. Do this with the whole car. . . this process is a LOT easier if done in the shade but even if I'm in the sun, as soon as I'm done getting most of the water off, I drive it into the garage and then pat the water spots dry with a waffle weave ("the guzzler"). As long as the car is clean when you are drying - and you are using a clean towel - there really isn't much room to drag dirt along the paint when drying. Also - when washing or drying - move the mitt/towel along the car in the direction air would travel over it if you were driving. This minimizes the visibility of "swirls" because any scratches will be straight lines (harder to see than swirls).

if you take time with your car - and treat it like it should be treated - you shouldn't have any problems.

Appreciate 0