E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY [VIDEO] Repair DS Mode, Sport Mode on Steptronic Shifter

07-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #45
TexSquirrel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Woohoo.
I finally got my 135i running without SES and CE lights and then my DS and manual mode quit working.
Kinda hard to log in third gear with D downshifting on me.
This was such a simple fix!
      07-26-2015, 11:16 PM   #46
MahiC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 m3 ZCP Jet Black .

Thanks for the diy! It was my first time soldering and everything went perfectly. I would suggest watching ericthecarguy's tutorial on YouTube and solder those wires to get the best connection.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 02:15 AM   #47
torok
Registered
Rep
Drives: i320 Silver

Is it important to replace the cables going to the centre console display also? I have replace the four cables going to to the chassis wiring harness but there has been no change to DS mode not functioning.

I would also like clarification on how the DS mode behaves with connectivity issues due to this. Mine displays DS and will only display transmission gear when I move the shifter in either + or - values but the transmission will always work automatically, if in either DS or fully auto. So if I select DS mode and mode the shifter just once, I can see the transmission gears on the dash as the transmission changes gears automatically. Is this similar to everyones experience?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 10:03 PM   #48
Judge Dredd
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep
Drives: recklessly

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by torok View Post
I would also like clarification on how the DS mode behaves with connectivity issues due to this. Mine displays DS and will only display transmission gear when I move the shifter in either + or - values but the transmission will always work automatically, if in either DS or fully auto. So if I select DS mode and mode the shifter just once, I can see the transmission gears on the dash as the transmission changes gears automatically. Is this similar to everyones experience?
If the wire has been damaged in this way, the dash will not display DS at all and will display "D" even if you are shifting up and down or are in DS.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #49
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Awesome DIY my friend!

DS mode went out about 3 months ago for me. I haven't done anything with it for fear of a costly repair. I simply kept putting it off.

Then I decided to do a search this out weekend. What a delight to find this DIY. I opened her up and found the same issue. 30 minutes later, DS mode works again! So happy to have a zero repair cost with a BMW!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 04:44 AM   #50
loknar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 iDrive

So glad this works for everyone.

Me I spent 30 minutes trying to pull out the wood trim of the console. Won't budge. I have idrive so it's hard to get a grip. Tried combining a suction cup at the rear to pulling on the driver side. No movement.

My question is can I get this done without removing the console?
1) cutting all the 8 wires then pulling them out of their plastic cover and fix them
2) remove t-30 nuts so gear assembly can be turned and the plastic cover nut t15 removed . And then reassemble back with no fault problems? Don't know what pin needs to be pushed back...

----edit----

I managed to pull the central console wood trim. Using plastic tool and a suction cup.

But after removing the plastic covering with 3 t10 screws it seems facultative to go through all this trouble. Cutting all wires is almost always necessary to pull them out from where they're tucked in. No need to pull the assembly out. Just cut the 8 wires and pull them from both ends.

Also note that as I starting putting back everything together, I wanted to test the system. As I turned the key I got the massive error: "gear can be engaged without depressing brake". A quick web search of this fault said this means you need to change your tranny for 3500$... however, once I firmly screwed the 3 t30 holding the assembly and restarted it was fixed. It may also have been caused by idrive plug being removed but unlikely.

Stay calm and keep bimmering

Last edited by loknar; 01-31-2016 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #51
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Thanx for the great vid OP

Just had to make this repair this morning on my 08 E92 with 58k

Got 2 blocks from my house, dash lit up like a Christmas tree with Check Engine, DSC 4x4, Brake warning lights & car would not go above 2mi/hr

Only warning I got was the shift indicator lights stopped working about 2 wks ago, didn't think much of it at the time as I have custom LED's installed in the module - thought they just went bad...

But after I dug into the shifter I found (4) wires totally cut & the rest near to being broken.

Spliced in some longer pieces of wire with solder/heatshrink, wrapped with elec tape, & left the wire free of the plastic cover (also cut back the offending edge of the plastic cover for good measure just in case the wires happen to ride up against that area)

All is good & errors cleared

Now if I could only have a few words with the engineer that designed that system, no need for workmanship like this on a fairly expensive brand
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 05-09-2016 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #52
AgeIsCritical
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan Automatic

As I was doing this yesterday I didn't find any wires that were completely broken, but I did find 5 frayed wires. I touched them all up to ensure they don't break. I noticed that the round yellow thing that's under the 3 small hex screws was really hot to the touch during the whole time I was working on the wires. Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 01:10 PM   #53
ArfMeow
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328  [0.00]
Excellent write up, thank you very much.
I will add, the second batch of screws that require removal is quite difficult with big hands so wiggle the shifter assembly and lean it hard to your left.
I also didn't solder but spliced, reconnected and ran electrical tape over each seperate wire.
Cheers mate.

Last edited by ArfMeow; 07-29-2017 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #54
e90poster
Rep
Drives:

Thumbs up

"ANYBODY" with this year range BMW, as stated in the above posts, you will be running into this issue sooner or later if you use the manual shifter. I took everything apart this weekend and the way the cables are pulling, its horrible. When creating the slack in the line, like the video shows, almost every cable broke, as there 95% already all broken. Pulling any amount of the cables to move them ... they all snapped easily.

What lead me to this post was that my downshift stopped working on the shifter. Everything else worked on my steering wheel and on the shifter. It really all comes down to which wire breaks first. Some of them light up the Park/Neutral/etc lights, and some control the gear shifts. My suggestion is to automatically consider this the issue if any of the lights or shifting stops working. Good luck as it takes patience to sit there and strip each wire, tin, solder, and shrink tube each one. I had so many broken wires (as they broke when trying to wiggler the cables out ... if you don't know what I mean, watch the video) break, that I think two of them were barely together so I cut them also, took 1/3rd inch total out of the cable, and soldered them.

Let me say this again ...if you use you manual shifter a lot, this is going to happen to you so its best to fix the issue before it inevitably happens. Every time you push the shifter left, to put it into manual, there is almost no slack. Thanks for this forum post and the great feedback and video. I am going to be using the manual shifter a lot less, before trading in my car, as I really think I did a good job with the fix but its so shotty that I cut some of the plastic out of where the bundle of cables was rubbing after my fix. I put shrink tube on every wire, and taped them into a bundle, adding less room (hence me cutting any plastic in its way).

Hope this helps as there are many people in the future going to be reading this post.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 10:40 AM   #55
silverseal99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d 335d Sport

Garage List
Same issue in my 2011 335d. Noticed that the "R" light remained lit even when the car was powered off. Next, none of the shift selector lights worked and I noticed that Sport mode would not engage. Dealer wanted $172 to troubleshoot--said a micro switch had failed in open position, wanted $1,500 to replace the shift mechanism. Not. I came across above video and discovered 3 of 8 wires severed on initial inspection, and found remaining 4 either severed or about to sever when I pulled the "loop" from its hidey hole and removed the electrical tape. Wires are 22 gauge (small). Used Striker brand #3 fishing crimps as butt connectors and stripped, crimped and heat-shrink tubed all 8 wires. I re-routed wiring harnesses to ensure no binding when selecting Sport mode and closed her up. Took 2 hours (first time) and would only take 1 hour now that I've done it. Easy-cheesy repair if you're handy. Should have been the subject of either a recall or at least a good faith repair by the dealer (I noted 95,000 hits on one video of the repair). I guess that's why they call them "Stealers."
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 07:11 PM   #56
cbergcberg
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Great thread! I took mine apart and 3 wires were broken exactly where the various pics/videos show. For me, my woes started with the little rectangular LED that indicates "Drive" was burned out... not a big deal. Then, a year later (today) I could no longer downshift in DS which I do on a regular basis when approaching a stop light. For me, I already had shrink wrap and soldering gear, so total cost was zero and about an hour of work.

Thanks everyone for contributing this great info!

Chris
2011 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #57
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Had the same issue today.
Wouldn't go into sport mode unless I played with the shifter.
I took it apart and had five broken wires.
Took about an hour to fix, start to finish.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 10:32 PM   #58
tboudre
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 LeMans Blue 335xi E90 N55

3 wires broken, 1 hanging by a thread.

I used these connectors to reconnect the wires. You don't have to strip the wires, just make sure the wires are all the way in before you crimp.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-Ye...-950/203734864

One of the clips on the console broke off, I can glue it back. And the neutral light still doesn't work, but I can live with that, everything else seems to work.

Name:  BMW E90 Sport Mode Repair.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  75.2 KB
2011 335i xDrive ///M-Sport LeMans Blue Navigation iDrive 15% Tint N55 E90 - BMS Intake, Le Mans Blue Grilles, Le Mans Blue Rear Diffuser, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, Misc Coding, Matte Black Badge, Gloss Black Exhaust Tips, Blue Calipers*, VRSF Charge Pipe*, Cyba Scoops*, JB4, Sport Oil Cooler Valve, FlexFuel Wires, GoFastBits DV+ - Approx E30 fuel mix
* Painted 7251 Cobalt Blue Metallic - Matches LeMans Blue
Appreciate 0