E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Suspension & Brakes & Handling Upgrades > BMW Rear Guide Rod Kit - Better traction and handling

Closed Thread

12-23-2008, 12:02 AM   #1
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Smile BMW Rear Guide Rod Kit - Better traction and handling

*Original guide rods were made to deflect under load, a bad thing for good handling and traction(in of the the product images you can see where the stock 335i guide rod can deflect and bow under cornering and acceleration loads)

*Aluminum guide rods are made of all aluminum, a lightweight component thereby reducing wear and tear on other, more critical parts (rear subframe, control arm bushings, etc) Each guide rod weighs just over 1.5 lbs making for a total of ~3 lbs for both parts (stock guide rods weigh 2.1 lbs each or 4.2 lbs for both). A weight savings of over 1.2 lbs from the rear suspension.

*Bushing with a rubber material at one end is replaced by a sealed joint for deflection and noise free operation. Bushing deflection is unwanted because it leads to excess suspension movement. This is bad for handling and traction due to constant alignment changes. Plus, any power from the engine can take longer to get to the ground because it has to windup the bushing first.

The traction link is no brainier. You will have better traction and braking and more stability and you will feel this under acceleration. The traction link is actually a tuned spring so it is designed to deflect a lot under load which is really bad for the suspension control. This is the most important link to replace.

Customer review of the guide/torque link kit along with the Quaife LSD:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...31&postcount=1

Retail is $412.80

$359.13 per set!

Order here:

http://www.hpashop.com/BMW-Rear-Guid...kit-e9x-m3.htm

We now have the TRW version of the guide rods as well for those looking to save some money

$259.95 for the set

Order here:

http://www.hpashop.com/BMW-Rear-Guid...de-Rod-TRW.htm
Attached Images

Last edited by HP Autosport; 01-04-2017 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Sounds interesting, but can you explain what differences we will actually feel if we install one of these? You say it can take longer to get power to the ground with the stock part, so are you saying we'll get faster acceleration? How much faster? And better handling? Will the car corner flatter with this part? What is it exactly that we can expect to feel? Is the difference noticeable in everyday driving or do we need to be at 9/10ths on a track to appreciate the change? Just trying to understand what the tangible benefits are and if they will apply to every day driving... Thx!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
Sounds interesting, but can you explain what differences we will actually feel if we install one of these? You say it can take longer to get power to the ground with the stock part, so are you saying we'll get faster acceleration? How much faster? And better handling? Will the car corner flatter with this part? What is it exactly that we can expect to feel? Is the difference noticeable in everyday driving or do we need to be at 9/10ths on a track to appreciate the change? Just trying to understand what the tangible benefits are and if they will apply to every day driving... Thx!
I think these are part of a group of parts which together will provide you with a tangible benefit. Its hard to change one suspenion piece aside from shocks/struts/sways and really "feel" it driving on the street. If you plan on adding more of the M3/aftermarket components, then these are def a good idea, but Im not sure if by themselves they even matter.
      01-02-2009, 02:37 AM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
Depends on how sensitive you are to suspension settings. What I can feel is diff than what you can feel.

Going from a bushing to a joint, you should feel that right away.

I think the best way to explain it is for you to hop in a new M3 and find out for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
flukey
Go big or go home!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

What would you estimate for installation time?
      02-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukey View Post
What would you estimate for installation time?
45 minutes
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
OneBad335XI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Nissan GTR Prem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Why wait to get yours from your local BMW dealer, we have these in stock and ready to ship!
Hmmmmmmmmm I might have to do this.Will it fit an XI?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBad335XI View Post
Hmmmmmmmmm I might have to do this.Will it fit an XI?
Yes!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
OneBad335XI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Nissan GTR Prem.

Even with stock everything (suspension-wise) I will notice a difference?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBad335XI View Post
Even with stock everything (suspension-wise) I will notice a difference?
Well, there will be a difference, but not as much as if you had coil-overs and other suspension mods.

The front tension rods and lower wishbones will make a huge difference for you, but every little bit helps!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #11
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

These guide rods are now back in stock, but they won't be on the shelf for long. Order your today!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Looking for a bit more traction? These guide rods will help you plant your tires better and give you a bit more traction.

OEM 335i guide rods are flexible and have way too much deflection when compare the the M3 pieces.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #13
BMWGator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Quote:
Looking for a bit more traction? These guide rods will help you plant your tires better and give you a bit more traction.

OEM 335i guide rods are flexible and have way too much deflection when compare the the M3 pieces.
I can vouch for this! Harold hooked me up with the M3 parts and this was one of the 1st things I noticed when I got my car back...better rear wheel traction and the rear stays more planted under hard acceleration (i.e. prior to this, the rear tires would tend to chirp a bit before gripping). Definitely a great mod!

===============================
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGator View Post
I can vouch for this! Harold hooked me up with the M3 parts and this was one of the 1st things I noticed when I got my car back...better rear wheel traction and the rear stays more planted under hard acceleration (i.e. prior to this, the rear tires would tend to chirp a bit before gripping). Definitely a great mod!

Excellent!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #15
cgeorge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 e92

what are the torque links that the reviewer above speaks of?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #16
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeorge View Post
what are the torque links that the reviewer above speaks of?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...30&hg=33&fg=30

Item#19
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #17
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Kind of a dumb question, but would an alignment be needed after installation?
      09-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #18
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuchMoore View Post
Kind of a dumb question, but would an alignment be needed after installation?
No, not on these!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #19
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Harold,

I got the Quaife from you recently. Getting the BMW Performance Suspension, including th perf. springs soon, and I may have enough left in the wallet for just the M3 guide rods for now. I saw in another post you mentioned how you just unbolt these and put the new ones in. In the Bentley manual it talks about having to losen the stabilizer links and rotate the sway bar upwards to get room to work. Just want to confirm it can be done without that step?

Quote:
The Guide Rod Kit is even easier to install than the Tension Rod kit. One 18mm head bolt and one 18mm nut and bolt, out comes the guide rod, installation is reverse of the removal, move on to the other side and repeat!

I wold say after the wheels are removed...no more than 10-15 minutes per side, maybe less if you are quick! No need to align the vehicle after replacement.
from: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=207

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #20
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
Harold,

I got the Quaife from you recently. Getting the BMW Performance Suspension, including th perf. springs soon, and I may have enough left in the wallet for just the M3 guide rods for now. I saw in another post you mentioned how you just unbolt these and put the new ones in. In the Bentley manual it talks about having to losen the stabilizer links and rotate the sway bar upwards to get room to work. Just want to confirm it can be done without that step?

from: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=207

Thanks!
If you have a wobble socket you can do it without disconneting the ARB endlink, but taking them off will make the job go a little quicker.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 11:17 PM   #21
lamia2super
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
does it really cost that much to fabricate it? pretty pricey part for some small rods.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 09:09 PM   #22
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Thanks Harold. Does the kit you sell come with new self locking nuts and fastners? If not do you have the correct part numbers for those so I can order them seperatley or do you feel they are not needed? The diagram is hard to tell what to order.

Also, did you raise the price back up to retail? It was around $370.

Scott
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread