E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DIY/ Aftermarket options of making your BMW secure

09-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #23
sa12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435d xdrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
A shock sensor may also be of use if someone tries to tow it. But then you need to think of if you need to also add a tilt sensor lol
Lol! That's the problem. What starts off as:

"I only need this ...." ends up with

"Well what if ........ happens? I might as well add ..... as it only costs ....."

Before you know it, you've already spent enough to have just bought a Viper system in the first place!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #24
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa12 View Post
Excellent thread makkan00.

Your efforts are much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alzieboy View Post
makkan the MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules59 View Post
great thread, many thanks.
Thanks guys. Without your support, I am nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
Another option on petrol models is to install a cut off switch on to the coil pack power feed. I've done this on mine and with the switch set to off the car will just turn over and never fire. Just extend the wiring somewhere hidden in the car and flick the switch when you use and then turn off the car. Be warned if you don't do it properly your car won't start.

Idnan, can you hook me to this DIY, or can you kindly pm me everything in detail and I will work on it. Once done and got it in easy DIY form, I will add it.
Thanks for your contribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
That's the premise I've been working on - keeps the scumbags away / out of the car & if they do get in make life as difficult & noisy as possible - warning of broken glass seems a bit poinless if other sensors are able to detect the big hole in the door or an arm waving around!

+1

Once we achieve that, it is not full stop. IanS100, with the passage of time and funds, I guess we should add tracker as well. Just in case.
It also helps when your car goes to dealer / indie / your partner drives. You can be as cheeky as you like.
      09-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #25
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
A shock sensor may also be of use if someone tries to tow it. But then you need to think of if you need to also add a tilt sensor lol
If I am not wrong, BMW has built-in tilt sensor.

I have seen tilt sensor option while coding to raise the volume of OEM siren.

However it may only trigger when somebody is actually towing your car or X/Y/Z axis of your car moves beyond centrain degrees.

Also one of my friend who works as a parking enforcement officer told me last year that BMW cars have tilt sensor. If they try to tow BMW, it sets off the alarm.

But one of us need to confirm that.
Or if somebody has taken their beamer on a ferry and accidently locked it can confirm it.
      09-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #26
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Yep my 2008 330i pre lci had a tilt sensor, it would sound off if I'd forgotten to unlock the car before attempting to jack it up for a wheel change.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #27
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprio View Post
Yep my 2008 330i pre lci had a tilt sensor, it would sound off if I'd forgotten to unlock the car before attempting to jack it up for a wheel change.
I'll bet that that's something else that was omitted from later models
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #28
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Idnan, can you hook me to this DIY, or can you kindly pm me everything in detail and I will work on it. Once done and got it in easy DIY form, I will add it.
Thanks for your contribution.
I'm going into the ecu compartment tomorrow to fit my no lift shift module so will grab some photos for you guys and I'll PM you.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #29
ssc330d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
If I am not wrong, BMW has built-in tilt sensor.

I have seen tilt sensor option while coding to raise the volume of OEM siren.

However it may only trigger when somebody is actually towing your car or X/Y/Z axis of your car moves beyond centrain degrees.

Also one of my friend who works as a parking enforcement officer told me last year that BMW cars have tilt sensor. If they try to tow BMW, it sets off the alarm.

But one of us need to confirm that.
Or if somebody has taken their beamer on a ferry and accidently locked it can confirm it.
I can confirm that my 56 plate has a tilt sensor - I have jacked the car up when locked and the alarm sounded.
      09-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #30
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

Will have to give it a try and see if mine has a tilt sensor
      09-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #31
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
I'm going into the ecu compartment tomorrow to fit my no lift shift module so will grab some photos for you guys and I'll PM you.

Thanks buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc330d View Post
I can confirm that my 56 plate has a tilt sensor - I have jacked the car up when locked and the alarm sounded.
Thats like a proper help! Cheers bud. It will put many minds at rest.

Quote:
Will have to give it a try and see if mine has a tilt sensor
I think you will trigger your Viper alarm before you can test your tilt sensor.
      09-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #32
Ste133
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i

These type of threads make my life easier by the simplicity of a list of step by step options available.

Great thread Makkan!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #33
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste133 View Post
These type of threads make my life easier by the simplicity of a list of step by step options available.

Great thread Makkan!

Thanks Steve.

Unfortunately, another car is stolen last night.

Details.
      09-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #34
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Nice thread.

Can't we create an electric field or something, to shock these assholes when they try it?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #35
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I wonder, can two,_OH_five work out how to integrate a break glass sensor such as the one below in the same way they have with the shock / proximity sensors.

http://www.dvbcaraudio.co.uk/directe...or-p-5593.html
Another option if you can figure it out, is adding a high pitched internal cabin piezo siren down i the footwell area. High pitched enough to make your ears hurt if you go near the OBD port
      09-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #36
two,_OH_five
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Great thread mate Credit goes to you

So there takes me back to the thought of adding a glass break sensor which works solely on sound. I wonder, can two,_OH_five work out how to integrate a break glass sensor such as the one below in the same way they have with the shock / proximity sensors.

http://www.dvbcaraudio.co.uk/directe...or-p-5593.html

Finally, and maybe two,_OH_five can comment, i think the location of the proximity sensor is too high mounted there by the interior light, it needs to be in the middle of the car; handbrake location would be ideal.

From experience with previous cars and previous alarms, if set too sensitive or located too near the roof, you will suffer a lot of false alarms when it rains as it picks up the pools of water running off the roof, registering the movement and activating the alarm.

HTH
I have had some false triggers but at the moment I have the sensor set up to alert if a mozzie farts within a 10 mile radius of the car. Fine tuning the sensitivity is part of the process as I have no installer track record to give me a place to start.

It remains to be seen whether the correctly set up sensor does suffer false triggering when it rains. Looking at the sky tonight this may get tested soon
If it is a problem then moving the sensor into the centre console is the next logical step - this also allows more sensors to be ganged together in a slightly better controlled way.

As far as other sensors go, it looks to me like the DEI glassbreak sensor will hook into the system in the exact same way.
I have the DEI shock sensor so I can check multiple sensors paralleled up to see if it will all work as expected. I imagine it will without issue. I haven't hooked it up yet as I don't see it being hugely helpful - tea leaves have been using centre punches to break glass since forever instead of twatting things with hammers

Note
If anyone is thinking of hooking multiple DEI (or probably others) sensors it's a good idea to use diodes on each trigger. Check the last connection option in this install guide for the DEI 506T glass break sensor. You can get diodes from Maplin for next to nothing

Another thing I might explore would be using an "active" dummy OBD port so that even if all the other sensors fail plugging in a programmer would automatically sound the alarm. This strikes me as a better idea than dog poo, razor wire and tazers, much as the tazer idea appeals

Another option for aftermarket Tracker style systems for the DIY minded :- Tramigo T22
Never used one, no idea how effective it may be but it's subscription free and would only seem to need a PAYG sim card. It's a permanent install unit so can be buried away from prying eyes but of course it can also be defeated by removing power from the car. Swings and roundabouts

Another useful resource for exploring what is available is DEI Products store. It's a US site but Directed Electronics have a UK office and distributor
Note, I refer to DEI quite a lot. I'm in no way connected to them but since they make all the Clifford and Viper gear I personally prefer their products over eBay specials. For example I'm planning to fit a 513T as a bringer of pain/siren upgrade
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #37
sa12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by two,_OH_five View Post
Another thing I might explore would be using an "active" dummy OBD port so that even if all the other sensors fail plugging in a programmer would automatically sound the alarm. This strikes me as a better idea than dog poo, razor wire and tazers, much as the tazer idea appeals
This is a very good idea! I'm gonna look into this when I get back from my holiday, if my car is still here when I get back....
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #38
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have had some false triggers but at the moment I have the sensor set up to alert if a mozzie farts within a 10 mile radius of the car. Fine tuning the sensitivity is part of the process as I have no installer track record to give me a place to start.
I have previously utilised a hose pipe lol

Quote:
As far as other sensors go, it looks to me like the DEI glassbreak sensor will hook into the system in the exact same way.
I have the DEI shock sensor so I can check multiple sensors paralleled up to see if it will all work as expected. I imagine it will without issue. I haven't hooked it up yet as I don't see it being hugely helpful - tea leaves have been using centre punches to break glass since forever instead of twatting things with hammers

Note
If anyone is thinking of hooking multiple DEI (or probably others) sensors it's a good idea to use diodes on each trigger. Check the last connection option in this install guide for the DEI 506T glass break sensor. You can get diodes from Maplin for next to nothing
Quote:
For example I'm planning to fit a 513T as a bringer of pain/siren upgrade
I need a photo how2 or i havent got a clue lol
      09-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #39
sa12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
For example I'm planning to fit a 513T as a bringer of pain/siren upgrade
Do you mean that you would be connecting the 513T to activate along with the OEM siren or would you only trigger the 513T when a specific sensor is triggered i.e the 'live' ODB port you referred to?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #40
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa12 View Post
Do you mean that you would be connecting the 513T to activate along with the OEM siren or would you only trigger the 513T when a specific sensor is triggered i.e the 'live' ODB port you referred to?
Ideally you would want both to activate together, main siren to warn the owner and high pitched siren to make offender not want to put their head through the window
      09-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #41
sa12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ideally you would want both to activate together, main siren to warn the owner and high pitched siren to make offender not want to put their head through the window
That should be easy to wire as you'd only need to connect it in parallel with the OEM siren with a relay to power it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #42
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Right, that's me (hopefully) sorted.

OBD relocation tomorrow, extension cable ordered, and "OBD Disabled" decals ordered. Total cost about £10.
      09-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #43
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

Excellent post..... anyone fitted the louder siren? Seems a cheap and very feasible
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 03:50 AM   #44
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
Excellent write up makkan00, this info should be in a Sticky
+1, well done Sam, a good bit of work done here.
Appreciate 0