E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52B30 exhaust too loud - SOLVED

09-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #1
mattthecoxcomb
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i manual 3IM

N52B30 exhaust too loud - SOLVED

Hello,

I recently swapped out my stock muffler for the Rogue Ikon muffler and had the exhaust shop cut out the resonator and build a mid-pipe running from the secondary cats back to the rear axle. Piping around the axle was left stock.

For the first 300-400 miles the sound was perfect. Exactly what I wanted; throaty, loud on-throttle, occasional gurgling when lifting, but zero drone and quiet in part throttle situations.

After the initial 300 miles it's gotten REALLY loud. I know that some mufflers can become louder after break-in, at about this mileage. This is all subjective but the difference in sound between immediately after install vs. after 300 miles is way more than anticipated.

Any chance one of the new welds could have cracked/popped due to initial expansion and that could be causing the louder sound? Like an exhaust leak? I'm thinking I will take it back to the shop and have them look it over for any leaks, but I wanted to check here to see if a leak is at possible or likely at this point. Has anyone ever experiences this?

If it's not a leak, what are the options for quieting it back down a little? Could I reinstall a resonator? I didn't keep the old one but there is always eBay. Or are there any solutions in the aftermarket? I don't want to return to stock, I'd like to get back to the way it sounded during those first 300 miles.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Last edited by mattthecoxcomb; 09-13-2019 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:28 AM   #2
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Personally I think it's just the muffler getting "Broken In".

I would see about finding a stock resonator to put back in as you would probably get out cheaper that way, but you could always go aftermarket.

But eBay or Car-Parts may have it. I know my Magna-flow came with its own resonator. With the AA headers it sounds perfect although I did leave the secondary cats in.

Maybe Magna-flow sells just the resonator from its cat-back kit somewhere.
      09-11-2019, 06:49 AM   #3
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I'd put a stock resonator back in from ebay or get a Vibrant resonator.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #4
mattthecoxcomb
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
I'd put a stock resonator back in from ebay or get a Vibrant resonator.
Any advantage to going this route vs. stock?

I'm going back to the shop tomorrow. I will report back on what they say. I'm sort of hoping there is a leak but if I have to reinstall a resonator I suppose it's not the end of the world--just a waste of money to have it removed in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthecoxcomb View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Any advantage to going this route vs. stock?

I'm going back to the shop tomorrow. I will report back on what they say. I'm sort of hoping there is a leak but if I have to reinstall a resonator I suppose it's not the end of the world--just a waste of money to have it removed in the first place.
Vibrant might be a tad bit quieter? Not sure, the stock one is pretty large. Apparently removing the stock resonator doesn't do much sound-wise with a stock muffler, but really makes a difference with an aftermarket muffler. I'm thinking this is related to how large the stock muffler is.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #6
mattthecoxcomb
Rep

SOLVED

Just want to follow up because I dislike when people query the forum with this stuff and then don't share how it ultimately played out.

It IS an EXHAUST LEAK. I took it to the shop that did the install. The gaskets between the factory exhaust collectors (not headers) and the midpipe had popped. They were super old and rotted out. My guess is that when they were cutting out the resonator and the muffler and generally hacking around on the pipes it just crumpled what was left of those gaskets and they were ripe to pop out under exhaust pressure. The bolts in the flanges were completely fused and looked unservicable. Getting the gaskets replaced next week; they may have to saw out the ends of those pipes and weld in new flanges.

The car spent it's first 12 years of life in northern Ohio so many of the metal fasteners on the undercarriage were pretty corroded. I've replaced most but this was the first time I've tinkered with the exhaust.

Anyway, glad I don't have to put a resonator back on. That would've felt like a huge waste. Hopefully future readers see this sort of thing can happen at the age some of these e90s are reaching.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Nice! You should post a clip of it when it's fixed.

Appreciate 0