E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Misfire Cylinder 6

08-09-2018, 12:41 PM   #1
BostonMike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 335

Garage List
2017 M4  [0.00]
Misfire Cylinder 6

I was having a misfire on 6. I replaced all the spark plugs (needed it anyway). Still a misfire on 6. I replaced all the coilpacks. 4 were really old anyway so, no problem, I didn't mind. Still misfiring. So I replaced the fuel injectors (yes, they are version 12 and I coded them properly). STILL a misfire on 6! What else could it be??? The car is a 2007 335 Cobb tuned and most of the usual bolt on's. 130k. Car is very well taken care of and was running great until a couple of weeks ago when this started. No oil or gasket leaks. No other codes. Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
upshift_downshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike View Post
I was having a misfire on 6. I replaced all the spark plugs (needed it anyway). Still a misfire on 6. I replaced all the coilpacks. 4 were really old anyway so, no problem, I didn't mind. Still misfiring. So I replaced the fuel injectors (yes, they are version 12 and I coded them properly). STILL a misfire on 6! What else could it be??? The car is a 2007 335 Cobb tuned and most of the usual bolt on's. 130k. Car is very well taken care of and was running great until a couple of weeks ago when this started. No oil or gasket leaks. No other codes. Any help would be appreciated.
Official misfire thread with more info:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631829

Are you reading generic codes, or BMW-specific ones? I imagine Cobb can read the BMW codes.

Other causes apart from what you changed:
spark plug gap (they can be off spec out the box)
LPFP
HPFP
Carbon on intake valves
Vanos solenoids (unlikely if you do not have codes)

Check the free things first (plug gap, fuel pressures), and if those are fine, get a compression test done.
      08-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
BostonMike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 M4  [0.00]
Thanks for the reply upshift_downshift. I removed the cylinder 6 plug and it was really dirty. Likely (I thought) because it was still having issues before the Injector replacement. I cleaned it. Car fired up real nice and I took it for a 10 mile spin on the highway. Everything good until I pushed it really hard. Misfired again. Waiting for it to cool off before looking at the plug again. Maybe I have a bad valve cover gasket???
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Thanks for the reply upshift_downshift. I removed the cylinder 6 plug and it was really dirty. Likely (I thought) because it was still having issues before the Injector replacement. I cleaned it. Car fired up real nice and I took it for a 10 mile spin on the highway. Everything good until I pushed it really hard. Misfired again. Waiting for it to cool off before looking at the plug again. Maybe I have a bad valve cover gasket???
Since you coded the injectors I assume that you have INPA. Don't touch the hardware. Reset all adaptations, throttle, lambda, including cylinder compensation/synchronization. Drive the car and let it relean. Try it and let us know.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
BostonMike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 M4  [0.00]
feuer, no INPA I have the Schwaben (Foxwell) scanner.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #6
upshift_downshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Dirty how? Shiny black and oily, or a dull black like carbon?

If shiny, oil is getting into your combustion chamber somehow. PCV, valve stem seals, piston rings. You may notice blue smoke coming out of the exhaust under load. To check rings, do a leakdown or compression test.

If carbon black, it's getting too rich. Fuel injector is a likely cause. Check your coding values again. Could also be caused by carbon buildup on the valves, and cylinder 6 is the only one bad enough to cause an issue.
      08-09-2018, 08:51 PM   #7
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
feuer, no INPA I have the Schwaben (Foxwell) scanner.
I'm not familiar with that tool but probably can erase all adaptations (not sure about cylinder synchronization). Long term trims might cause DME to drive the replaced injector incorrectly (drive it as if defective injector is still there) although is coded that is needed but separate from how DME will drive the injector depending on feed back from Lambda sensor, knock sensor, timing and etc...I have repalced many injectors and often this is a must for some n54 to run smooth again after the repair, including the n54 I own.

Dirty spark plug after having a misfire is expected. DME shut off the injector so there was no combustion to burn anything in there.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 05:42 AM   #8
cortez08
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

When was the last time you had a walnut blast?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #9
Occ224
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

Quote:
Have you figured anything out? I have the same issue. Missfire cylinder 6. I changed plug, coil, and injector. It only misfires around like 8 psi but if I push it real hard it will throw a service engine light and constantly misfire for about a mile then it will stop and it will run like normal.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 12:44 PM   #10
BostonMike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 M4  [0.00]
Occ224, So what happened was, I did plug first, then coil, then injector. Still misfiring. I took the new cylinder 6 plug out and cleaned it. Even though it was new, it got dirty by the time I did testing an got the new injector in. Meanwhile I had scheduled a walnut blasting. I did some really hard runs this weekend and everything seems great. No misfires. I still kept my appointment for the walnut blast as the car has 130k on it and I have never had it done. As a matter of fact the car is there right now as I type this. I brought it to North Shore Motor Service based on the recommendations from this group. I will let you know tonight if they did a good job!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 01:07 PM   #11
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Cylinder 5 and 6 intake ports for the crankcase ventilation are the closest ports to the PCV valve. The crankcase vapors pass through the PCV valve before being pulled into the cylinder intake ports. Cylinder 5 / 6 likely sees more oil vapor enter the intake tract than any of the other cylinders due to proximity to the PCV valve. I know when I cleaned my intake @ ~100,000 miles, cylinder 6 was the worst (very thick carbon buildup) and was closely followed by cylinder 5. Cylinder 1 had the least carbon buildup.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #12
BostonMike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 M4  [0.00]
Got the car back. Running sweet! Sounds and drives great! arkie6 Good point on the PCV valve. I have never replaced mine. I probably should.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2018, 10:18 PM   #13
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
You can't buy the BMW PCV valve without buying the entire valve cover (there isn't a separate part number for the PCV valve). RB Turbo makes an upgraded replacement PCV valve that is a drop in replacement. I blocked off the crankcase ventilation ports in the head when I replaced my valve cover gasket at the same time I walnut blasted the intake, so my PCV valve no longer serves any function. I have all of my crankcase ventilation routed from the boost side PCV port through an external oil catch can and back into the rear turbo inlet.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2023, 04:40 PM   #14
BigBadBarka
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi

Garage List
08 BMW 335XI   [0.00]
I知 having a similar issue I just replaced all injectors coils and plugs and I知 getting a cylinder 6 misfire as my only code!
So I知 hoping the walnut blast does it.
I have a 08 335xi
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 11:13 PM   #15
Ieside02
Rep
Drives: 08 335i 6speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBarka View Post
I知 having a similar issue I just replaced all injectors coils and plugs and I知 getting a cylinder 6 misfire as my only code!
So I知 hoping the walnut blast does it.
I have a 08 335xi
Update? Did it solve your issue with #6? Iv done everything, and am scd for walnut blasting as uts never been done and I feel it may be my cause. Tia
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 09:06 PM   #16
Biggsie
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

Update on this?

All the posts I can find always seem to dead end!!!!

Having same issue with cyl #1.... plugs, coils, injectors, walnuts, coding, adaptations, lpfp, lpfs reads good, hpfp #"s good???? Only code is misfire and a random mixture 1/2 code......... going with o2 snsors and a new valve cover next.........
Appreciate 0