E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Review of the PROcede Rev3

03-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
Freefreefive
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Review of the PROcede Rev3

Hi guys

Along with my review of the 335i Coupe which you can see here - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660378

I deciede to do a quick review of the PROcede Rev3 from Vishnu Tuning.

I got it from Adrian Vos rather than from Vishnu Directly - Vishnu is a bit cheaper but i prefered to deal with someone local that understood our cars / fuel / conditions etc rather than someone in the USA. Also, i didn't want to wait a few weeks to get it - Adrian posted it to me within a day.

Overall i'm very happy with his service and he answered all my questions quickly and patiently - but more on that later.

So how easy is it to install a PROcede? As easy as a phone call to Stu @ BMR!

Stu installed my PROcede in about 20 mins on Flinders lane at 2am - if that isn't service i don't know what is.

I also met Suj and Alan who had a wealth of car knowledge - i really liked the BMR guys and will definitely do business with them again.

So how does it drive?

First impressions - rubbish.

Stu installed it, i let the car warm up and took it for a spin.

Nothing.

Felt like stock.

I was quite disappointed as it's always difficult to tell. It didn't feel any different but maybe i'm just not able to sense it...maybe it's faster but i don't know the car well enough (i had only bought it 2 weeks ago).

So i e-mailed Stu and Adrian. This is where the local knowedge and contacts pay for themselves....

After several dumb questions by me and a bit of problem solving, it turns out i didn't have the darn thing turned on!

Adrian preloaded the v11-25 maps for me - these are in beta so no autotuning available. Also, it's not like other maps - there are now stages and maps. I had stage 0 installed as my car is completely stock - each stage has different maps - if i'm worng someone please correct me.

For stage 0, you have the option of:

map 0: procede is off - car runs like stock and is what you'd have if you were taking it in for service

map 1: moderatly aggressive map

map 2: very agressive map

map 3: NA map - shuts down the turbos so the car runs like an NA car

so what happened after i made the minor adjustment?

map 0: same as before - der

map 1: wow! this thing flew. I was in another world of awesome. It pulls so hard and midrange is awesome.

map 2: what traction? double wow. absolutely gob smacked by the torque and the speed this thing gathers.

map 3: works but nothing to write home about - wouldn't use it more than as a party trick

2 things -

1. i don't think i'd be able to enjoy the car stock now knowing what i'd be missing so if you do own a x35i and don;t want a tune or cant because of warranty or whatever do yourself a favour and dont ride in a car with one. you will hate your car afterward - trust me.

2. If you want traction press the DTC button - so it shows DTC on the cluster. This is essential on map 2 - without it the car just bogs and cuts power in more or less any gear at full throttle. obviously there is an element of danger here but i won't discuss that - do what you will. I'm not in the mood to nanny anyone on a forum.

So overall what do i think?

Who cares....

But seriously... WOW! My car was great before, it really is just awesome now. To spend $1,100 and get c30% more power is just unparalelled.

It feels strong / meaty in the mid revs and just feels great to drive. Traction can be an issue but with the DTC in it still allows the power but doesn;t cut it out.

All in all i'm a VERY happy customer and would definitely recommend Adrian and the team at BMR.

Last edited by Freefreefive; 03-14-2012 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Glad you like the procede

The first thing I do when i get in the car is to press the DTC button, been asking COBB to make that on by default and is in the works!

Adrian is awesome and was a great help when I had the procede.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 02:33 AM   #3
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

So from what I gather you were on map 0 after installation? Damn you must've felt ripped off or something.

The thing you mentioned about not riding in a tuned N54 car is true - Stu's reason for purchasing a 135i stemmed from a ride I gave him in my car a while ago....

As for DTC, I find that too intrusive with catless DPs, DSC light still flashes past 4,000rpm in 1st and 2nd gear. TIMYOYO all the way when the weather permits.

Keep in mind that if you plug it into your laptop, the maps become customisable in terms of boost target and how 'aggressive' the map is when autotuning (which of course is currently unavailable)

Also, Vishnu have put in a 'traction control' style program which uses timing to control torque. Heaps better than the brake and throttle control of the ABS based system that comes stock on cars. Very progressive change between power cut and full power. Great way to set map 1 as 'wet weather' map (low boost target (around 8psi), lowest aggression level, with traction threshold for PROcede TC set high) and map 2 as your 'holy fuck me dead' map (15psi, aggression >2, PROcede TC off).

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #4
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
The thing you mentioned about not riding in a tuned N54 car is true - Stu's reason for purchasing a 135i stemmed from a ride I gave him in my car a while ago....
ahh that First Dance in an N54...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 02:52 AM   #5
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
So from what I gather you were on map 0 after installation? Damn you must've felt ripped off or something.

As for DTC, I find that too intrusive with catless DPs, DSC light still flashes past 4,000rpm in 1st and 2nd gear. TIMYOYO all the way when the weather permits.

Keep in mind that if you plug it into your laptop, the maps become customisable in terms of boost target and how 'aggressive' the map is when autotuning (which of course is currently unavailable)

Also, Vishnu have put in a 'traction control' style program which uses timing to control torque. Heaps better than the brake and throttle control of the ABS based system that comes stock on cars. Very progressive change between power cut and full power. Great way to set map 1 as 'wet weather' map (low boost target (around 8psi), lowest aggression level, with traction threshold for PROcede TC set high) and map 2 as your 'holy fuck me dead' map (15psi, aggression >2, PROcede TC off).
You should go upgrade to rev 2.5 / 3 and experience the new aggressive maps
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:02 AM   #6
Freefreefive
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Yep - very

This was going to be my next question - is there an idiots guide to changing these settings? My car is completely stock. I have no tuning knowledge - having said that i am reasonably clever and pick things up quickly. Unfortunately i haven;t been able to find any guides online on how to modify these settings and the specifics - i get broad brush thoughts - higher boost, max 20 psi etc... but then i read that the std turbochargers are too small and at 20psi they are off efficiency or something like that...

If anyone has a link to any guides that are in depth would be much apprteciated.

also, re data logging - how do i do it? do i have to have the laptop connected whilst i do the runs or do i connect it after and download the info? dumb question but can't find that answer anywhere...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:18 AM   #7
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefreefive View Post
also, re data logging - how do i do it? do i have to have the laptop connected whilst i do the runs or do i connect it after and download the info? dumb question but can't find that answer anywhere...
Connect the laptop to your procede and press F7 to start data logging.

Once you are done with that particular run press F8 and a dialog box will pop up so you can name your new CSV file.

It will be inside the procede folder under data from memory.

Also you can change the different channels you want to log but the default ones are usually what you need (RPM, Time, Boost, AFR, IAT, Timing and fuel trims).
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:22 AM   #8
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

TIMYOYO refers to all electronic nannies fully off, that is when you press and hold the DTC button for 3 seconds. In the dry, on a straight road, thats the only way to do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #9
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Also you should data log in TIMYOYO mode to prevent any electronics cutting your power and ruining your log.

Just remember to turn it back on - I did that once and fang it through a corner and almost lost it
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
Freefreefive
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Ok that's good info. So do I data log with map 1 or 2 or both? Also? In what gear an to what speed?

I read somewhere something about 3rd gear full throttle but I struggle to think where to do this stuff without being on a track
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXDrive

Thanks for the review FFF. I am like you and don't know much about the workings of these. Currently the maps are in beta format, will auto tuning happen in the future?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Ok that's good info. So do I data log with map 1 or 2 or both? Also? In what gear an to what speed?

I read somewhere something about 3rd gear full throttle but I struggle to think where to do this stuff without being on a track
Well log with map 2 if everything is all good in map 2 then map 1 shouldd be good.

I do third gear run sometimes all the way to fourth (shifting to 5).

Just find an isolated back street somewhere...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
BMWGTR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

I go TIMYOYO all the time lol.
Just a habit now, turn on the car, hold traction control button for 3 seconds.
Still grips fine, but you do need good rubber for it to work properly (Kumhos= fail. Pirellis= win.)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
suff
On the hunt for PSI
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Glad you like the procede

The first thing I do when i get in the car is to press the DTC button, been asking COBB to make that on by default and is in the works!

Adrian is awesome and was a great help when I had the procede.
Get an LSD!
      03-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #15
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef
ahh that First Dance in an N54...
And then there was that second dance in an N54

Jeff: Foreshore Rd... I was hooked since then.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 08:18 AM   #16
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by suff View Post
Get an LSD!
I am planning in the future - just don't want to spend much on the car this year haha....
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #17
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
You should go upgrade to rev 2.5 / 3 and experience the new aggressive maps
Will do

Quote:
This was going to be my next question - is there an idiots guide to changing these settings? My car is completely stock. I have no tuning knowledge - having said that i am reasonably clever and pick things up quickly. Unfortunately i haven;t been able to find any guides online on how to modify these settings and the specifics - i get broad brush thoughts - higher boost, max 20 psi etc... but then i read that the std turbochargers are too small and at 20psi they are off efficiency or something like that...

If anyone has a link to any guides that are in depth would be much apprteciated.

The only problem with PROcede is that not much documentation is provided, I suggest you email Adrian if you need some in depth help. I wouldn't go past 14psi with nothing but tune.... your turbos will explode if you try 20psi. Those with full bolt-ons and meth only push 18psi.

Quote:
Well log with map 2 if everything is all good in map 2 then map 1 shouldd be good.

I do third gear run sometimes all the way to fourth (shifting to 5).

Just find an isolated back street somewhere...
My 'private road' is great for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
And then there was that second dance in an N54

Jeff: Foreshore Rd... I was hooked since then.
It's faster since then

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #18
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Looking at the DIY install, it looks easy but not sure if I am game to try it

Last edited by Michael BD; 03-14-2012 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
Looking at the DIY install, it looks easy but nort sure if I am game to try it
it is very easy - I had never touch the ecu of a car before I tried installing a procede.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

For an otherwise stock vehicle you just run the appropriate stage which would be Stage 1 Map 1. You dont need to touch the settings unless you run methanol injection.

Datalog while connected.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #21
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
Looking at the DIY install, it looks easy but not sure if I am game to try it
As Rai said its a piece of piss. I was a little nervous at first but read the guide and watched the vid a few times and one afternoon after a couple of beers thought well fuck lets have a go
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #22
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
it is very easy - I had never touch the ecu of a car before I tried installing a procede.
Did you follow the video?
Appreciate 0