E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD "cold start noise reduction"....do it!!

01-23-2023, 11:52 PM   #23
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy138 View Post
Has anyone logged cold start oil pressure with AND without the cold start reduction?

Reason being, a while ago I came across a note in ISTA stating that you need to hold RPMs at 1,100 RPMs for three minutes after every oil change to clear out any air pockets from the OFH, oil cooler and any other oil circuits. Apparently due to the variable pressure oil pump.

My motor swap is almost complete so I'll check once I get it running (N55 though).
You're mixing up 2 things here. One is the N55 oil starvation issue when the oil flow is disconnected for some time thus needing a engine prime (having fuel injectors disconnected and crank) and higher rev at first start to make sure the variable pump pumps at a good rate and oil is pumped. Although it does say in ISTA to rev to 1100 as well after oil changes on my N54 to since you mention that.

But the start up "cold start" high rev is not that is usually just for emissions and warming up cats.

What ISTA do you sue though? Maybe you have an updated note about the issue. I'm just reporting off what was told in the other threads.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 11:55 PM   #24
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
That's a fair question, I didn't even know we could log oil pressure. Does MHD do that? If so I'd be happy to try both ways as I'd like to know too. Though I suspect even if there's a downside in the oil pressure department, revving a frozen cold engine (like all cars do stock) isn't great either so it could be a wash haha
The N55 has a oil pressure sensor VS our N54 with only a pressure switch.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 10:42 AM   #25
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Good to know! What does that mean for the n54?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 12:03 PM   #26
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Good to know! What does that mean for the n54?
Means by default we can't really log/monitor Oil pressure, unless you install a kit like in this video...

Last edited by Saif2018; 01-24-2023 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 12:47 PM   #27
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Means by default we can't get really log/monitor Oil pressure, unless you install a kit like in this video...

Oh gotcha. Thanks for the reply!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 05:37 PM   #28
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Seriously... I always assumed it had both like most other cars. One for the low oil pressure light and another to read real-time oil pressure..

How could BMW not even install an Oil Pressure Sensor when they stuck us with the "No Dipstick" Electric Oil Level Sensor that I cant stand..

If there was a backup Dipstick, then the electric oil level sensor would be GREAT actually!! But without the Dipstick to double check its readings every once and awhile, as well as just looking at the condition of your engine oil...

I have the Cold Start Noise Reduction OFF right now, Ive tried it both ways multiple times.
For me, I like the Sound of the Cold Start and also I just like the idea of the car getting up to Temp as quickly as possible. So that when i leave and start driving in the mornings in the winter, there's at least some heat in the motor.

Id say it definitely uses more gas and is loud, but my engine is quiet either way and runs the same, its just the louder exhaust from the higher idle and i believe the WG's close or open slightly to make the turbos create extra heat as well it seems like if you watch closely..
Appreciate 0