E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90 Warranty Expiration Advice

09-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
Kid Fresh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90-07 335i *Montego Blue/6MT

E90 Warranty Expiration Advice

Considering options for extending the service / warranty on my 07 335i, currently have 47,700 miles; my 4/50 ends 11/17/2010.

Recently purchased car in July from a small independent dealer (non-CPO), with 43,695 miles. Took into my local BMW dealer for state inspection, SA advised the HPFP was replaced at 16,900miles (hopefully this one lasts-holding breath), last oil change was done in January 09 and they replaced the spark plugs. I’ve also had the “squeaky wheel” issue, which was resolved by replacing the rear brakes and brake sensor.

Spoke to BMW Business Manager and he advised of the following options:

Maintenance Upgrade(covers oil changes, belts, hoses, scheduled inspections): $2,045
Mechanical Breakdown(since I’m not original owner-3rd party coverage):
2yrs / 24k - $2,846
3/36k - $3,307
4/48 - $4,004
5/60 - $4,731

In my forum reading, a member posted some parts that may fail / need replacement as mileage increases with the N54 engine:

Fuel injectors
Low/High pressure sensors
Wastegates ((Stage 2 being the replacement of wastegates and Stage 3 being replacing turbos)
Vanos Intake/Exhaust servomotors/solenoids
ZF Transmission
Sparkplugs - minor yes, but they don't last to 100K miles per BMW CBS

If I decided to go with the Maintenance and maximum Mechanical Warranty, that’s a lot of jingle: $6,782. My intentions are keeping the car; things may change, but I’m not planning on getting rid of or trading in for awhile. I was able to read some Tech Specs and if a couple of the above mentioned components go, the engine will shut down=stranded.

Is it worth it in the long run to purchase both the Maintenance & Mechanical Warranty? Or should I take the risk and address / pay-out the issues as they come?

Not sure of the pricing on the replacement of the Wastegates, turbos, sensors, etc, but that could also be a lot of jingle.

The local shop we bring our 05 E46 to hasn’t worked on any 335’s and advised their mechanics aren’t familiar with the new turbo engine. Almost seems like I’ll be “forced” to go to the BMW dealership anyway for future engine issues, as the complexity with diagnosing and fixing (tools, tech-know how, etc.) involved.

These prices may vary from dealer-dealer / state-state, and individuals car specific’s but at a minimum, other members can have this information for future reference.

I’m prepared for the “you knowingly purchased an expensive car, so now you’ll need to deal with the maintenance” responses, but would appreciate any constructive feedback / opinions.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

rear brakes wear our faster, however expect 500-1k repair bill to replace pads and rotors @ bmw service. you need to determine the life of the existing pads to decide if this will be a cost within the extended maintenance period. scheduled inspections.. bah however belts breaking or other wear items / fluids will be more possible the older the car gets...

almost everybody says bmw's cost a ton out of warranty... for myself 07 335 I purchased a 3rd party warranty (based upon my yearly miles) and ended up doing 4 yrs 75k $50 bumper to bumper so in 2015 (factory 2011) it will expire. Cost was $3k. Even though 3k is quite a bit... I figure 3k for another 4 years with this car vs buying a new car is a good way to go. I also figure over those years I'll know what to expect from my 335i.

I think $2k (probably for 2 years max) is kinda high for regular maintanace. I wouldnt buy the maint but would buy the warranty.

good luck

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
aesfah
Max Powers
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I paid around 1700 for maintenance. I believe dealer markup was about 300 on mine, so def push harder. Curious- how did u get them to replace spark plugs at 4x,xxx?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
Kid Fresh
United_States
Rep

When my key was in the "reader", the SA advised a spark plug message displayed, he mentioned it was probably an erorr and they would correct. Upon pick up of my car, the inovice showed the following data:

CBA Data Says Spark Plugs Replaced
Cause: 85990601MP
0000622 Spark Plug Service
6: 12-12-0-037-244 Spark Plug, High Power: 121031
43892 Due per CBS W LO: Replaced Spark Plugs

You're right it probably isn't protocol to replace the plugs at this mileage, but per the CBA Data message, they went ahead and completed.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
juice13
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 335 E90

Fuel pump thingy is warranteed already

It's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that EVERY 335 High Pressure injection Pump (HDP) is now warranteed to 10 years and 120k miles. From my BMW CPO statement:

"BMW has extended the warranty of the High Pressure Injection Pump (HDP) from 4 years or 50,000 miles to 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first. details are contained in SIB B13_03_09"

Mine was also replaced before I purchased it. It is again showing symptoms. For a new part it will reset the warranty to 10Y, 120k.

Also, can't you pay to CPO a BMW before the 4Y50K mark?

-Jonathan
'07 335i E90 blue/brown/stock/stick/sport/stuff
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
juice13
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Fresh View Post
When my key was in the "reader", the SA advised a spark plug message displayed, he mentioned it was probably an erorr and they would correct. Upon pick up of my car, the inovice showed the following data:

CBA Data Says Spark Plugs Replaced
Cause: 85990601MP
0000622 Spark Plug Service
6: 12-12-0-037-244 Spark Plug, High Power: 121031
43892 Due per CBS W LO: Replaced Spark Plugs

You're right it probably isn't protocol to replace the plugs at this mileage, but per the CBA Data message, they went ahead and completed.
Actually the exact same thing came up on my '07 with 38k on it when I bought it. The sales guy said it must be a mistake to replace the plugs that early. Maybe our cars were separated at birth...

-Jonathan
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
juice13
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice13 View Post
Mine was also replaced before I purchased it. It is again showing symptoms. For a new part it will reset the warranty to 10Y, 120k.
After reading that again I may be mistaken. Let's assume that the part itself is not warranteed for ANOTHER 10Y 120K, but that is the age/mileage of the car that contains the part.

So EVERYBODY'S HDP (HPFP) is warranteed till their CAR hits 10Y or 120k miles (not the replaced part age/mileage).

Everybody gravy?

-Jonathan
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice13 View Post
It's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that EVERY 335 High Pressure injection Pump (HDP) is now warranteed to 10 years and 120k miles. From my BMW CPO statement:

"BMW has extended the warranty of the High Pressure Injection Pump (HDP) from 4 years or 50,000 miles to 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first. details are contained in SIB B13_03_09"

Also, can't you pay to CPO a BMW before the 4Y50K mark?
Not sure if all the HPFPs are covered or only those of cars in a certain VIN range, if I were the OP I would get clarification from his SA on that.

The OP's car can't be CPOed (only cars sold through authorized dealers can be) and isn't eligible for the BMW 2OP warranty since he isn't the original owner.

Those prices for extended warranties are crazy IMO, especially for 3rd party coverage. If you have to have a warranty to be able to sleep at night do lots of research and look very hard and the fine print of the warranty. Often sales/finance people will represent them as "bumper to bumper," but that's never the case.

As far as the maintenance goes, pass on it. All you're going is prepaying about what it would cost you to have the regular inspections done anyway. Lots of people have debated this and done the math and come to the same conclusion.

My advice? Self insure, take that $3-5K and put it in a savings account. For routine service, find a reputable independent shop in the community that can do your Inspection I/II etc.

There's no free ride with BMWs, you either pay the premium for a CPO car or take your chances with a warranty where the provider has every incentive to deny coverage if they can plausibly do so.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
GB///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, X5 M60i

The HPFP warranty is covered for all 2007/2008 335's and is covered for 10 years/120,000 miles. I got a letter from BMW that confirms this
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

good point angry3.

almost all aftermarket warrenties (BMW included) arent truely 100% bumper to bumper.

mine is supposidly 99.9% ... so im guessing most of the car is .01%

I know when i was signing up there was an option for platinum coverage/etc. basically the "bumper to bumper coverage" didnt cover things like airbags,cruise control,navigation. however the platinum does.

I havent been burned by insurance yet. and will continue to buy insurance when necessary however not for every friggin thing.

Just talked with ATT and signed up a family line of a $20 phone i bought off amazon. Sir would you like the optional warranty coverage on the new phone ... its only $4.99 a month. GTFOH. or when im at some gamestop sir would you like the insurance on the game its only 3.99 GTFOH.

However I did use it for my son's nintendo DS many many times...
And I did utilize my tire insurance recently.

All in moderation.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
ShinyRedCar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:

Is it worth it in the long run to purchase both the Maintenance & Mechanical Warranty? Or should I take the risk and address / pay-out the issues as they come?...
That's just going to depend from car to car I think. For myself, I've spent about $2800 in repairs since January...and the year's not out yet. About $900 for front brakes, $550 for an oil leak repair, $900 for fuel filter & pump replacement, and $440 for radiator flush & fill + oil service and new battery.

Yikes!

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #12
bsp8181
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i Monaco Blue 6MT

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
I would try to get the maintenance down to the $1500-1700 range. However, the maintenance would be my second priority overall. The extended warranty is more important for a 335i IMHO, given the combination of high failure rates and high repair costs of some components.

The prices quoted from your dealer for the extended warranty are a bit high, I would do a bit more shopping. You should check out the options from captive finance companies like Ford and Toyota. The link to Ford's offerings have been posted on these boards before. On the Toyota side, look at some of the dealers people are buzzing about on PriusChat.com since they tend to offer service contracts at aggressive prices, and might be open to writing a contract on your 335i for a competitive price.

Just my .02. Keep us posted since I'm in the exact same situation but have a bit more time on my side.

Quote:
Considering options for extending the service / warranty on my 07 335i, currently have 47,700 miles; my 4/50 ends 11/17/2010.

Recently purchased car in July from a small independent dealer (non-CPO), with 43,695 miles. Took into my local BMW dealer for state inspection, SA advised the HPFP was replaced at 16,900miles (hopefully this one lasts-holding breath), last oil change was done in January 09 and they replaced the spark plugs. I’ve also had the “squeaky wheel” issue, which was resolved by replacing the rear brakes and brake sensor.

Maintenance Upgrade(covers oil changes, belts, hoses, scheduled inspections): $2,045
2yrs / 24k - $2,846
3/36k - $3,307
4/48 - $4,004
5/60 - $4,731

In my forum reading, a member posted some parts that may fail / need replacement as mileage increases with the N54 engine:

Fuel injectors
Wastegates ((Stage 2 being the replacement of wastegates and Stage 3 being replacing turbos)
ZF Transmission

If I decided to go with the Maintenance and maximum Mechanical Warranty, that’s a lot of jingle: $6,782. My intentions are keeping the car; things may change, but I’m not planning on getting rid of or trading in for awhile. I was able to read some Tech Specs and if a couple of the above mentioned components go, the engine will shut down=stranded.

Is it worth it in the long run to purchase both the Maintenance & Mechanical Warranty? Or should I take the risk and address / pay-out the issues as they come?

Not sure of the pricing on the replacement of the Wastegates, turbos, sensors, etc, but that could also be a lot of jingle.

The local shop we bring our 05 E46 to hasn’t worked on any 335’s and advised their mechanics aren’t familiar with the new turbo engine. Almost seems like I’ll be “forced” to go to the BMW dealership anyway for future engine issues, as the complexity with diagnosing and fixing (tools, tech-know how, etc.) involved.

These prices may vary from dealer-dealer / state-state, and individuals car specific’s but at a minimum, other members can have this information for future reference.

I’m prepared for the “you knowingly purchased an expensive car, so now you’ll need to deal with the maintenance” responses, but would appreciate any constructive feedback / opinions.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 10:05 PM   #13
magamaga
-
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I will soon be faced with the same decision dilema.
325i Sparkling Graphite/Navigation/Steptronic/HeatedSeats/ DRL Angel Eyes/Metal Pedals/Tail Pipe Tips/Rear BMW Spoiler/BMWAlarm/LoJack/BlackLineTailLights/Hardwired BeltronicsProfessionalRX65RadarDetector/Rear FogLights/Debadged/LUX 5.0/ACS Roof Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 11:15 PM   #14
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie-Bay View Post
The HPFP warranty is covered for all 2007/2008 335's and is covered for 10 years/120,000 miles. I got a letter from BMW that confirms this
hhmm... I wonder where is my letter...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:20 AM   #15
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I bought my 2006 330i with 49000 miles and got a 6 year 60,000 mile extended warranty (covered till 109,000 miles) for 2000 from Carmax. I would say those rates are way high.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #16
Kid Fresh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp8181 View Post
I would try to get the maintenance down to the $1500-1700 range. However, the maintenance would be my second priority overall. The extended warranty is more important for a 335i IMHO, given the combination of high failure rates and high repair costs of some components.

The prices quoted from your dealer for the extended warranty are a bit high, I would do a bit more shopping. You should check out the options from captive finance companies like Ford and Toyota. The link to Ford's offerings have been posted on these boards before. On the Toyota side, look at some of the dealers people are buzzing about on PriusChat.com since they tend to offer service contracts at aggressive prices, and might be open to writing a contract on your 335i for a competitive price.

Just my .02. Keep us posted since I'm in the exact same situation but have a bit more time on my side.

Thanks for everyone's comments, it is appreciated. I found a previous post from earlier this month with a discussion on options for extended warranties. Also found the Ford and Easycare (warranty information) links that were mentioned in the post. Never realized Ford / Toyota could cover a BMW for extended warranties. Plan to continue my research and make some calls before my decision.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ended+warranty

http://www.easycare.com/

http://www.fordespwarranty.com/

Thanks again for the help!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #17
Kid Fresh
United_States
Rep

E90 Warranty Update / Information

Wanted to give an update from my original 9/24/09 thread. At the time I had only checked with one of 5 local BMW Dealerships and upon further review, it is indeed overpriced and not worth purchasing.

Since then I've researched the following options:

1. Another local BMW Dealership Business Manager quoted a Mile One plan for 5/100k-$100 deductible=$3,645.

2. Easy Care: rep on phone directed me to 2 "Local Preferred Dealers" (Honda & Ford dealerships) as they cannot provide coverage directly over the phone to three states: MD, CA, KY. I left messages with both contacts to discuss options on Monday - no return calls from either.

3. Warranty Direct: rep on phone quoted "Secure Care" (top of line) plan for 4/100k miles-$100 deductible=$4,494.
https://www.warrantydirect.com/

4. Carchex: rep on phone quoted plan for 4/100k miles-$50 deductible=$2,579
http://www.carchex.com/Default.aspx

These options appear better than my intital quote received from the first BMW dealer as the year/mileage coverage is longer and cheaper. I've learned that both Carchex and Warranty Direct offer "exclusionary" warranties, meaning everything is covered, other than what is specifically noted in the Exclusion section of the contract. (these exemptions are specifically noted in detail). Most importantly both cover "wear & tear" items, which is crucial as some warranties will only cover what they define as "mechanical breakdowns". One can also have the cost spread out via monthly payments, and pay off the total over a selected period of time.

After my reading and research, Carchex is a legit company; accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), associated with Carfax, Cars.com, Lending Tree, etc. Carchex is a broker and considers themselves as the "Progressive" of Extended Warranties, they shop around depending upon the make, model, mileage of your car and secure the best rate. For my car (07 335i / 46,100 miles) a company called Alpha Warranty Services would handle my claims.

Warranty Direct is the consumer division of Interstate National Dealer Services, one of the oldest and largest independent automobile warranty providers in the US. They have nearly 30 years of experience, nearly 2 million car warranty contracts sold and over $600,000,000.00 in paid claims.

These seem like total comprehensive protection plans and should address my main concern of coverage for the new turbo N54 engine, as mileage increases and issues arise, I can bring it into the local BMW dealer and shouldn't have to worry about the expensive repair costs. However #16 of the Carchex "Exclusions" section of the contract states the following:

Any parts replacement or service which is considered normal maintenance by the manufacturer including but not limited to: tune-ups, carburetor adjustments, oil changes, chassis lubrication, engine adjustments, fuel system cleaning, repairs related to fuel or oil contamination, spark plugs and wires, front end alignments including adjustments/alignments to Covered Repairs, wheel balancing, positive crankcase ventilation valves, filters, belts, hoses, constant velocity and double offset joint seals and/or boots, brake linings or pads, manual clutch assemblies, friction disc, throwout bearings, pressure plate, manual hydraulic linkages, the following emission components: purge sensors/solenoids/valves, vacuum canister, vapor return canister, vapor return lines/valves, air pump/lines/valves, emission vapor sensors, gas cap/filler neck.

Not a tech, but are these emissions components (in red) a crucial part of the turbo engine or separate? Since this is an "Exclusionary" contract, Wastegates, Turbos, Vanos Intake/Exhaust servomotors, Low/High Pressure Sensors aren't listed, so I would assume they would be covered? I'll probably need to confirm with the rep, but figured I'd throw it out there.

On the other hand Warranty Direct DOES cover the emissions as it's verbiage states:

We will pay the repair facility of Your choice, or reimburse You, for the reasonable cost to repair or replace any part of Your Vehicle where a Failure has occurred, except for those items listed in the Exclusions section of this booklet.

(Coverage includes, but not limited to Engine, Turbo/Supercharger, Transmission, Transfer Unit (4x4), Drive Axles, Steering, Electrical, Front and Rear Suspension, Brakes, Anti-Lock Brakes, Air Conditioning, High Tech Electronics, Cooling, Fuel Delivery and Seals & Gaskets.)

The following Emissions System parts are included in SecureCare+ coverage:

Air Fuel Ratio Sensor, Air Induction System, Air Pump, Anti-Knock Sensor, Barometric Pressure Sensor, Canister Purge Solenoid, Deceleration Valve, EGR Recirculation System, EGR/EFE Thermal Vacuum Switch, EGR/EFE Valve, Engine Oil Fill Cap, Fuel Fill Pipe and Cap, Fuel Fill Neck Restrictor, Fuel Receptacle, Fuel Sensor, Fuel Tank Pressure Control Valve (PCV), Fuel Temperature Sensor, Idle Air Control Valve, Intake Air Resonator, Intake Air Temperature Sensor, Intake Manifold, Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) Sensor, Mass Air Flow Sensor, Oil/Air Separator, Oxygen Sensor, PCV System, Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve, Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Secondary Air Injection System, Throttle Body Assembly (MFI)

Appears one would select the latter, as it specifically states the Turbo engine and Emissions System Parts.

Has anyone dealt with Alpha Warranty Services, purchased a warranty through Carchex or Warranty Direct? I know these extended warranties can be complicated and as Potty Pants noted, shelling out additional monies for warranties now may be tough, but the old saying goes: "it's not IF, but WHEN you'll need to make those costly repairs"

* Apologies for the long winded message, but any feedback would be appreciated. It's not the most interesting thread, but at minimum members will have additional information & resources to check out for extended warranties.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #18
bsp8181
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i Monaco Blue 6MT

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Alpha looks ok from a BBB perspective.

http://www.bbb.org/utah/business-rev...er-ut-22007004

Quote:

2yrs / 24k - $2,846
3/36k - $3,307
4/48 - $4,004
5/60 - $4,731

Fuel injectors
ZF Transmission

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #19
Thunder Dump
That tickles
Rep
Drives: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR

I had a HORRIBLE experience from a top-rated aftermarket warranty company and would *never* do it again. Warranty Gold, rated tops in their day, filed for bankruptcy, canceled 55,000 warranty polices (including mine), found a new underwriter, and then went back into business as if nothing had happened--and continued to take on new clients without mentioning the Chapter 11 on their web site. There was a class action lawsuit that is *still* pending, and this all happened in 2003.

Buyer beware.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #20
jeffersonkim
Private
Rep

Quote:
Wanted to give an update from my original 9/24/09 thread. At the time I had only checked with one of 5 local BMW Dealerships and upon further review, it is indeed overpriced and not worth purchasing.

Since then I've researched the following options:

1. Another local BMW Dealership Business Manager quoted a Mile One plan for 5/100k-$100 deductible=$3,645.

2. Easy Care: rep on phone directed me to 2 "Local Preferred Dealers" (Honda & Ford dealerships) as they cannot provide coverage directly over the phone to three states: MD, CA, KY. I left messages with both contacts to discuss options on Monday - no return calls from either.

3. Warranty Direct: rep on phone quoted "Secure Care" (top of line) plan for 4/100k miles-$100 deductible=$4,494.
https://www.warrantydirect.com/

4. Carchex: rep on phone quoted plan for 4/100k miles-$50 deductible=$2,579
http://www.carchex.com/Default.aspx

These options appear better than my intital quote received from the first BMW dealer as the year/mileage coverage is longer and cheaper. I've learned that both Carchex and Warranty Direct offer "exclusionary" warranties, meaning everything is covered, other than what is specifically noted in the Exclusion section of the contract. (these exemptions are specifically noted in detail). Most importantly both cover "wear & tear" items, which is crucial as some warranties will only cover what they define as "mechanical breakdowns". One can also have the cost spread out via monthly payments, and pay off the total over a selected period of time.

After my reading and research, Carchex is a legit company; accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), associated with Carfax, Cars.com, Lending Tree, etc. Carchex is a broker and considers themselves as the "Progressive" of Extended Warranties, they shop around depending upon the make, model, mileage of your car and secure the best rate. For my car (07 335i / 46,100 miles) a company called Alpha Warranty Services would handle my claims.

Warranty Direct is the consumer division of Interstate National Dealer Services, one of the oldest and largest independent automobile warranty providers in the US. They have nearly 30 years of experience, nearly 2 million car warranty contracts sold and over $600,000,000.00 in paid claims.

These seem like total comprehensive protection plans and should address my main concern of coverage for the new turbo N54 engine, as mileage increases and issues arise, I can bring it into the local BMW dealer and shouldn't have to worry about the expensive repair costs. However #16 of the Carchex "Exclusions" section of the contract states the following:

Any parts replacement or service which is considered normal maintenance by the manufacturer including but not limited to: tune-ups, carburetor adjustments, oil changes, chassis lubrication, engine adjustments, fuel system cleaning, repairs related to fuel or oil contamination, spark plugs and wires, front end alignments including adjustments/alignments to Covered Repairs, wheel balancing, positive crankcase ventilation valves, filters, belts, hoses, constant velocity and double offset joint seals and/or boots, brake linings or pads, manual clutch assemblies, friction disc, throwout bearings, pressure plate, manual hydraulic linkages, the following emission components: purge sensors/solenoids/valves, vacuum canister, vapor return canister, vapor return lines/valves, air pump/lines/valves, emission vapor sensors, gas cap/filler neck.

Not a tech, but are these emissions components (in red) a crucial part of the turbo engine or separate? Since this is an "Exclusionary" contract, Wastegates, Turbos, Vanos Intake/Exhaust servomotors, Low/High Pressure Sensors aren't listed, so I would assume they would be covered? I'll probably need to confirm with the rep, but figured I'd throw it out there.

On the other hand Warranty Direct DOES cover the emissions as it's verbiage states:

We will pay the repair facility of Your choice, or reimburse You, for the reasonable cost to repair or replace any part of Your Vehicle where a Failure has occurred, except for those items listed in the Exclusions section of this booklet.

(Coverage includes, but not limited to Engine, Turbo/Supercharger, Transmission, Transfer Unit (4x4), Drive Axles, Steering, Electrical, Front and Rear Suspension, Brakes, Anti-Lock Brakes, Air Conditioning, High Tech Electronics, Cooling, Fuel Delivery and Seals & Gaskets.)

The following Emissions System parts are included in SecureCare+ coverage:

Air Fuel Ratio Sensor, Air Induction System, Air Pump, Anti-Knock Sensor, Barometric Pressure Sensor, Canister Purge Solenoid, Deceleration Valve, EGR Recirculation System, EGR/EFE Thermal Vacuum Switch, EGR/EFE Valve, Engine Oil Fill Cap, Fuel Fill Pipe and Cap, Fuel Fill Neck Restrictor, Fuel Receptacle, Fuel Sensor, Fuel Tank Pressure Control Valve (PCV), Fuel Temperature Sensor, Idle Air Control Valve, Intake Air Resonator, Intake Air Temperature Sensor, Intake Manifold, Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) Sensor, Mass Air Flow Sensor, Oil/Air Separator, Oxygen Sensor, PCV System, Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve, Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Secondary Air Injection System, Throttle Body Assembly (MFI)

Appears one would select the latter, as it specifically states the Turbo engine and Emissions System Parts.

Has anyone dealt with Alpha Warranty Services, purchased a warranty through Carchex or Warranty Direct? I know these extended warranties can be complicated and as Potty Pants noted, shelling out additional monies for warranties now may be tough, but the old saying goes: "it's not IF, but WHEN you'll need to make those costly repairs"

* Apologies for the long winded message, but any feedback would be appreciated. It's not the most interesting thread, but at minimum members will have additional information & resources to check out for extended warranties.
Thanks for the info. I'm approaching the end of my warranty next year, and I'm thinking about getting this.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #21
jeffersonkim
Private
Rep

FYI, I started a thread just for Warranty Direct and figuring out which plan to get.

In California, drive train is the only thing offered from Car Chex :[

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...16#post6001216
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #22
Digtlartst
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328xi 6MT Alpinweiss

Garage List
I bought a 44k miles CPO last spring so I'm good for major repairs until 2011. I opted for BMW's maintenance plan for $1695, which I think is worth it as a fixed cost. Inspections/brakes/belts are a bear.
Appreciate 0