E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > DSC Motor Swap fail, am I missing something??

04-13-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

DSC Motor Swap fail, am I missing something??

I have had the trifecta lights ABS, DSC, & BRAKE. From what I have learned recently it is likely bad DSC motor (probably stuck brushes).
So I swapped out the DSC motor with one from my 75k mile parts car (also an E93 like mine), that didnt have DSC errors when it was together. I kept the original module from my car to avoid having to code a "new" one and put it on the other motor. I then manually bled the 4 wheels until new fluid came out with a one man vacuum bleeder tool. The brakes felt fine again when I test drove it. I have ISTA D now so I have tried to recalibrate the DSC but it still fails with codes 005DD0, 005DF0 & 005DF1. When I clear codes the ABS light goes off and I am down to just the 005DD0 code (Hydraulic unit: Adjustment, DSC unit valves). As soon as I start the car I get all 3 codes again. Now that I got INST-D finally installed I tried to run the bleeding proceedure and it instantly errors. It seems that my DSC motor is not able to run. I did the voltage test in ISTA and it passed, the module is yellow and can be communicated with. Is it likely that the actual control unit is bad instead of just the common DC motor only problem? I guess I can remove the DSC unit again and try to bench test the DC motor which I wish I had done the other day. But before I have to 4 wheel bleed my whole car again I got to ask, am I doing something wrong?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 01:19 AM   #2
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEQuest View Post
I have had the trifecta lights ABS, DSC, & BRAKE. From what I have learned recently it is likely bad DSC motor (probably stuck brushes).
So I swapped out the DSC motor with one from my 75k mile parts car (also an E93 like mine), that didnt have DSC errors when it was together. I kept the original module from my car to avoid having to code a "new" one and put it on the other motor. I then manually bled the 4 wheels until new fluid came out with a one man vacuum bleeder tool. The brakes felt fine again when I test drove it. I have ISTA D now so I have tried to recalibrate the DSC but it still fails with codes 005DD0, 005DF0 & 005DF1. When I clear codes the ABS light goes off and I am down to just the 005DD0 code (Hydraulic unit: Adjustment, DSC unit valves). As soon as I start the car I get all 3 codes again. Now that I got INST-D finally installed I tried to run the bleeding proceedure and it instantly errors. It seems that my DSC motor is not able to run. I did the voltage test in ISTA and it passed, the module is yellow and can be communicated with. Is it likely that the actual control unit is bad instead of just the common DC motor only problem? I guess I can remove the DSC unit again and try to bench test the DC motor which I wish I had done the other day. But before I have to 4 wheel bleed my whole car again I got to ask, am I doing something wrong?
I figured out the motor I just put in had bad brushes as well. That is now repaired and I also figured out my steering angle sensor was faulty and would not calibrate. I swapped in another one and coded it with Tool32 "dsc_87" and then did steering calibration again. That seem to have fixed it but I still cannot get the DSC to complete the adjustment process. It fails on "Adjustment - seperator valves." The software says possible causes are leaky brake system, system not bled, and bleeder unit still connected. I just did another 4 wheel bleed flushing more Than 1/2 quart through the system so I am pretty sure it is bled properly.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

It's amazing how the world is finally figuring out the brush connections are failure points. Glad to see the tool industry moving over and hopefully the current crop of parts has made or is moving towards that correction as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #4
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
It's amazing how the world is finally figuring out the brush connections are failure points. Glad to see the tool industry moving over and hopefully the current crop of parts has made or is moving towards that correction as well.
UPDATE: I was able to successfully get the brushes loosened up to repair the motor then to reattach the motor I had to drill and tap 4 shallow holes in the thicker part of the aluminum. I had to be careful not to go into where the fluids and valves were. Then I secured the motor with little scrap pieces of aluminum that I bent so they had a little bit of tension against the motor tabs to hold it in place. After that I put some hot glue on the screws so they won't vibrate loose. even though I'm manually bled the brakes and the DSC valve the only way I could get it to successfully go through the test is to do the factory automated bleeding procedure which was actually pretty easy. I am now code free with completely new brake fluid throughout the system.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1