E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Rear O2 sensor replacement using Bosch Universal

09-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Figure807
Power without control is no power at all...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6spd Blk/Blk

Rear O2 sensor replacement using Bosch Universal

Time required: ~30 minutes or less
Skills required: wire stripping, fine motor skills
Tools needed: 8mm socket for the underbody panels, 22mm wrench (or 7/8") for the O2 sensor, stripper for 18 awg wire, wire cutters, maybe some scissors or a sharp knife also.
Parts needed: Bosch Universal O2 sensor, part #15733 (already has anti-seize on the threads), 1x ziptie

Okay, so like many out there I got an O2 sensor error code after I installed my catless downpipes. How did this happen? I'm not sure, as I was pretty careful not to twist cords or bang around my sensors when swapping them out from the OEM pipes to the new ones. Anyways, the code I got was "2C9E Lambda probe heating behind catalytic converter," which is bank 1 after the cats, aka front turbo downstream. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, reference the following diagram from realoem:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=18&fg=10

Bank 1 = cylinders 1-3 = Front turbo = Driver's side DP (LHD) = Green o-ring connector
Bank 2 = cylinders 4-6 = Rear turbo = Passenger side DP (again, LHD) = Yellow o-ring connector

The N54 has four O2 sensors, two per downpipe, one before the cat and one after. The ones before the cat are wideband (5-wire) and should only be replaced without cutting wires or soldering - OEM is the only way to go I guess. The ones after the cat are universal (4-wire) so no big deal. I had to replace #4, as per the realoem diagram. I checked out the prices for the OEM replacement and they were ~$179 each So I decided to go for the Bosch Universal, part 15733. $67.99 at Autozone, before military discount

You will have to remove the center underbody panel using the 8mm socket. You will not need to remove the main underbody panel in order to access the rear O2 sensors. Remove the old O2 sensor using the 22mm wrench. Lefty-loosy, righty-tighty. If you disconnect the sensor first and straighten out the wiring it will be easier to unscrew the O2 sensor from the downpipe.

Here is the old and the new side by side. Notice you will have to transfer the shielding from the old to the new. You want to cut the wire on the new sensor so that it matches the length of the cut on the old sensor (does that make sense?) and you will reuse the original connector.

Cut the ziptie on the old wiring that keeps the heat shield in place in order to slide it off. DON'T FORGET TO TRANSFER THE HEAT SHIELD TO THE NEW WIRING!

There is a gap in pictures here, but what's missing isn't hard to visualize.

I cut the wires and strip 3/8" off each end. Slide the rubber sheaths off the wiring enough so you can cut 1.5" off to accomodate the connector box. You will do this to both the sensor wiring and the connector wiring (sorry, no pics). Clarification: you should have two pieces of 1.5" sheathing to throw away now.

The black cap goes on the connector side and you slide the yellow grommets onto each wire so it will look like this (make sure you orient the yellow grommets so the ribbing will be on the expose wire side, check out the image on the box in the first picture if you're confused). The grommets make the connections waterproof.

Unscrew the ends off of the grey connectors and slip them onto the wires one by one (image is the o2 sensor side with the black box). MAKE SURE THAT THE WIRES ON THE BLACK CAP MATCH UP WITH THE WIRES ON THE BLACK BOX. One grey, one black, two white.

The wires are pressed into these metal cones connections inside the grey connectors when you screw the ends on. After you tighten the ends, give them a little tug to make sure the wires are secure.

Finished connections. Make sure your wires match up!

Slide the grey connectors inside the box and connect the cap.

Below is an image of the two rear O2 connectors. Notice the yellow and green o-rings. Also notice that the two connectors are different so there is no way you can mix them up - foolproof! (Just an FYI)

I tucked the box behind the bracket so it's not dangling - you can ziptie it if you want.

All done!

Final notes: Don't forget to transfer the heat shield to the new wiring before you start putting on the black box and the yellow grommets. The rubber sheathing will need to be scrunched up on the O2 sensor side in order to work with the wires - this will be annoying as you try and slide the grommets on and connect the grey connectors. After I buttoned everything back up, I cranked up the car and drove for a bit - no codes! I ran through all the resets with my BT tool, though I don't think it's necessary.

Pat yourself on the back for saving over $100.
1987 Toyota Corolla GTS 5MT KAAZ 2-way Blk / Blk *Sold

Last edited by Figure807; 09-23-2012 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
jpirelli
Power is nothing without control
Rep
Drives: E90 + E92

Cool!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
DriftDreamzSS
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Thanks for the info! Just ordered the bosch universal for $44 shipped from Rock Auto. My local dealer wanted $220 for the oem sensor haha.
      02-10-2013, 03:17 AM   #4
Figure807
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftDreamzSS View Post
Thanks for the info! Just ordered the bosch universal for $44 shipped from Rock Auto. My local dealer wanted $220 for the oem sensor haha.
Yeah, it's no wonder why people call them "stealerships." I'm coming up on 20k miles since the swap and no issues with the sensor, knock on wood.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 04:38 AM   #5
Atomicteal_M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Great info!
      05-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
syn909
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Figure807 what is your photobucket account user name? Trying to see the photos here
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 08:33 PM   #7
Figure807
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn909 View Post
Figure807 what is your photobucket account user name? Trying to see the photos here
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Haro...?sort=3&page=1
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #8
B4LL3N
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 335xi FBO / E70 X5 N55

Sorry to resurrect this old thread....

I'm getting a 2C9E immediately after an exhaust install with stock DPs. Just wondering what I need to replace to pass emissions, ect. Is this code specific to the O2 sensors after the cats? Also wondering if the procedure is different for stock DPs?

Thanks!
‘08 335Xi FBO (RWD Conversion) / PURE600 / JB4 MHD Backend / Precision RW Coils / VRSF Piping / COBB Catback / xHP / xDelete / BC Racing Coilovers / Fuel-it Stage 2 / Wagner Tuning FMIC / Turbosmart BOVs
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
vladr221
Rep
Drives: 320i LCI

great info ! thx for the tutorial, might need to follow this for my car
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 06:03 AM   #10
AlpacaYouaLunch
Registered
Rep
Drives: R53 mini Cooper S

Does anyone know if the universal O2 sensor would work for the post cat N55 sensor?
Appreciate 0