E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > FIX: for the infamous clicking/steering wheel noise

03-22-2011, 02:18 AM   #23
jello
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: LCI M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [8.33]
can anyone please help??? i have the same problem with my CPO car. so what exactly should i reference to the dealer???
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 03:54 AM   #24
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

I have the exact same issue .... If it is the hydro gear is super expensive... no warranty left...
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #25
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Hydro gear assm is expensive, even remanufactured one like was put on my bimmer.

Look at my threads i made on the forum here to see all the info i have on the subject.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #26
krnboy817
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

so is this most common on e90? i have an 2008 335i and was wondering about the steering difference between my 335i and 328i both 2008.

seems to be that there is a little play and steering seems really light compared to my other 328i. both are packaged same with sport package and non active steering.

i have not heard the clunk or clicking noise as of yet... but is this a progressive issue that gets worse over time or just appears and your faced with the issue?

driving is poetry in motion.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 01:08 PM   #27
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Yes imo it is a progressive issue, since mine was fine for a while before the issue started...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #28
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Same problem. Clunking on steering wheel, car not driving straight. Dealer did alignment but nothing really changed.

Ill see about this on the next oil change.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #29
bliskey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Barbera Red 335xi

I've had my car in for this 3 times now. First was about a year ago and they replaced a linkage on my steering column. That worked for a while but started to come back a few months ago. The second time it was in they "couldn't replicate the problem" so I had to make another appt to show them. Third time I sent my SA the link to this post and they replaced the front left Wishbone, self locking hex nut, guide support, and self locking collar. I picked it up and within a few miles could tell that it was no different. Dropping my car off again tomorrow. Suggestions on how to lead them in the right direction? Dealer is an hour from my house and a real pain in my a## to get to.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #30
bsouth19
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi, B/B, CWP and PP

Hey guys sorry for the dumb question but I just started to notice the clicking at low speeds or idling. It is frustrating but I can't really afford a giant fix right now and olive wouldn't feel confident doing this myself. Is this an issue that is bad for the car? Am I damaging other parts of the car by continuing to drive with this clicking or is it more just an annoyance. There is not a lot of play on the wheel and the alignment seems to be intact. Again sorry for the stupid question I am just trying to determine the urgency or whether not this is just something annoying.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #31
bliskey
United_States
Rep

IMO, I don't think it's bad for the car. I drove around with this for months and it never got any worse. Picking my car up today. The service adviser told me they replaced the steering column from the Rack to the firewall. I don't have a part number yet but I imagine that it would be at least a grand for the work I've had done if I was out of warranty. I hope to God that it's fixed.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #32
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
To bsouth19, you are fine its more of an annoyance issue than a safety or driving concern that will damage your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #33
bliskey
United_States
Rep

Dealer replaced my lower joint assembly and in the 10 mile drive back to work it seems like they've fixed the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 06:11 AM   #34
bsouth19
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi, B/B, CWP and PP

thanks a lot everyone! that is what I was hoping for
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #35
Passionata
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDummy View Post
Here is UPDATE Back from Dealers with PAPERWORK...

The Culprit is 32-10-6-777-473 Hydro Steering Gear, tech had to get Puma case # to get it authorized.

Here is comments:
excessive play in input shaft is causing steering wheel play and noise, removed lower steering spindle-no play or binding is detected in steering column or steering spindle. Disconnected tie rod ends and checked steering gear. No play is detected while turning input shaft in or out but found play when moving it up and down. Puma stated to replace hydro steering gear. Replaced added one liter of fluid, performed a 4 wheel alignment and test drove and steering noise/play is now Gone. Note* Drives better than 2011 loaner used for comparison vehicle.

So there ya go guys, I hope this helps out some...
seems got something similar, not yet noise but strange clicking feel seldomly,do you have the puma case# for reference

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 02:19 AM   #36
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Seems like I have this problem too. At times my steering feels abnormally loose/light with play in steering but at other times, it feels stiff/precise (like how it should be). Really weird.

I also tried putting it in neutral and I can feel the clicking when I go left and right with the steering.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 03:09 AM   #37
Passionata
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry418 View Post
Seems like I have this problem too. At times my steering feels abnormally loose/light with play in steering but at other times, it feels stiff/precise (like how it should be). Really weird.

I also tried putting it in neutral and I can feel the clicking when I go left and right with the steering.
do you feel the "click" every time or just sometimes, have you experienced a strange feel at turning on low speed,feels like the counterforce just disappears for a slight moment but than everything back to normal.BTW haven t noticed your problem my steering in "general2 just perfect except this weird thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #38
henry418
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
do you feel the "click" every time or just sometimes, have you experienced a strange feel at turning on low speed,feels like the counterforce just disappears for a slight moment but than everything back to normal.BTW haven t noticed your problem my steering in "general2 just perfect except this weird thing.
Yes I can feel the click everytime I try to replicate it.

I have a strange feel at both low and high speeds - no counterforce in the middle part of steering. Doesn't feel like a BMW. Not tight, not responsive, just shitty overall. It's progressively getting worse - I want it to get even worse so that the dealer wouldn't give bs such as "cannot replicate."

I had alignment last week too so alignment is not the problem. Tire pressures are good. Yes I have coilovers but definitely not related as I had this symptom long before coilovers. More like, coilovers should've made the steering weight/feel better compared to the crap BMW x-drive suspension.

Will be visiting the dealer in few weeks... I'll update this thread.

Last edited by henry418; 10-01-2011 at 01:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #39
Passionata
Rep

had visited my dealer , seems they ll replace all the injectors but that s an other story, the SA did tried the car not felt anything wrong also no fault codes were detected-not really surprised-,they said my software is too old-12months already:-)- and will update when i bring the car for injectors replacement, i m sure it won t help but let s give them a chance.i think i shouldn t mention that i couldn t replicate the "click"prior/during my visit but it came back right after i ve left the place.i m with you henry really hope it gets worse than it ll be easy to detect.sometimes i think it s not a problem but a feature
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 12:48 AM   #40
henry418
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes I can feel the click everytime I try to replicate it.

I have a strange feel at both low and high speeds - no counterforce in the middle part of steering. Doesn't feel like a BMW. Not tight, not responsive, just shitty overall. It's progressively getting worse - I want it to get even worse so that the dealer wouldn't give bs such as "cannot replicate."

I had alignment last week too so alignment is not the problem. Tire pressures are good. Yes I have coilovers but definitely not related as I had this symptom long before coilovers. More like, coilovers should've made the steering weight/feel better compared to the crap BMW x-drive suspension.

Will be visiting the dealer in few weeks... I'll update this thread.
Kind of an update:

I took it to the dealer and at first they could not replicate it. They reset the steering sensors which stiffened up the steering but I still had the clicking feel/noise. After this I went back and went on a test drive with tech and he was able to replicate it . He said it feels like the click is coming from the steering shaft - which fits in with what OP said. Car is going back tomorrow morning. I will update again
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 02:01 AM   #41
Passionata
Rep

Quote:
Kind of an update:

I took it to the dealer and at first they could not replicate it. They reset the steering sensors which stiffened up the steering but I still had the clicking feel/noise. After this I went back and went on a test drive with tech and he was able to replicate it . He said it feels like the click is coming from the steering shaft - which fits in with what OP said. Car is going back tomorrow morning. I will update again
I have a date for today they will replace the steering spindle, this time igt was very easy to duplicate , the secret is that you have to hold firm the s.wheel and turn left a bit than a clicking noise and feel appears.hope i shouldnt pay the whole charge-it s about $400 for the part+labour-

keep you posted
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #42
henry418
Captain
Rep

They replaced the steering shaft. Clicking is gone and steering is heavier and more responsive but I still don't think the problem is completely fixed... I'll try driving a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #43
Passionata
Rep

You mean the steering column or the spindle?the did changed the spindle on mine,click gone,steering is okay.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #44
Andy1991
Perfect
Rep
Drives: Gonna be the fastest N54 xi AT

Do most of us have this common issue? Mine seems similar but I have no clue what to replace. I took my car to the shop and the technician said it's the steering rack problem.

the problem is:

1: when making right to the left turn, as others said, I can feel the counterforce stopping the movement of the steering wheel for a sec and it's normal afterwards.

2: I can feel the play while the car is stationary, or at low speed. I "shake"(left to right, right to left) the steering wheel, not feel tight at all.

what should I do..
Appreciate 0