E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > So where does the ladder begin on the way to becoming an F1 superstar???

06-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

So where does the ladder begin on the way to becoming an F1 superstar???

How does one become an F1 driver? Does the ladder look something like this: Attend performance driving schools, obtain competition driving licenses, race in different karting events, join formula BMW usa, and get recruited to formula 3000, indy, or some other bigger karting series, and then finally get recruited to F1? How does it work, Im so interested in knowing how it all works l
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
kevbh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i, E46 M3 track car

Good question.

I think you need to start racing karts at age 4 or so and go from there. It also helps if you father owns and operates a kart track (Schumaker). I believe during the Monaco Grand Prix the announcers said it took about $3 million to bring a driver up through the ranks.

Since you're old enough to type, I'm afraid you've missed your opportunity.
      06-05-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
335i-SG
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

He could be a 4 year old genius that can already type.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbh View Post
Good question.

I think you need to start racing karts at age 4 or so and go from there. It also helps if you father owns and operates a kart track (Schumaker). I believe during the Monaco Grand Prix the announcers said it took about $3 million to bring a driver up through the ranks.

Since you're old enough to type, I'm afraid you've missed your opportunity.
yea, I believe they said 10 million, I have it tivo'd so i'll check
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
suffice it to say...you would have to have been identified in early childhood. Most guys come out of kart racing at a very early age.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Im not personally trying to become an F1 driver, Im just wondering exactly how they become one.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #7
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

it all starts here...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2007, 07:24 AM   #8
kevbh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i, E46 M3 track car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
Im not personally trying to become an F1 driver, Im just wondering exactly how they become one.
I was just joking with you....

Seriously, I think the path varies with each driver, but karting is almost a given, and I wasn't kidding about starting at age 4 or 5. I think most stay in karting through most of their teenage years before moving into formula (open wheel) cars. I think there are a variety of paths at this point, mostly formula series in Europe, but also in Japan. I don't know enough about the various formulas to know the exact hierarchy, but the top drivers usually have won various formula championships (or at least many races) before getting a test from an F1 team.

Obviously money makes a huge difference too. Either coming from a wealthy family or having connections to deep pocketed sponsors, or both. It's not uncommon to see drivers on the F1 grid who have basically "purchased" a seat because they brought so much sponsorship money with them (they still have to be great drivers). Of course, having an agent and getting the attention of an F1 team principle at an early age is important also. I think the previous issue of Road & Track had a background article on Lewis Hamilton that discussed some of this.

Anyway, those are my generalizations. I'm sure it varies by driver, and I'm sure there are others here that know more specific examples. You might try researching a few specific drivers. I think you'll see a consistent trend on their resumes.
      11-26-2007, 05:52 AM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Karting is the most copetitive form of motor racing ever.. its action packed.. this is where talents are found and ledgends made!

Lewis Hamilton was racing in karts when i was, he has been spoon fed all the way and has had SOOO much money piled into him, he was never going to fail.

He is no superstar come out of nowhere.. He won the Euro Formula A karting championship in 2001. (The GP2 of Karting so to speak) When he moved into the class with the big boys Formula Super A, he got his ass cained.. from then it took him 6 years of single seater racing before being ready for F1..

He first drive an F1 car late 2004. Put this into perspective.

L Hamilton Karting to f1 6 years it took him
M schumacher 2.5 years
Raikkonen 18 months
Alonso 2 years

so no wonder, in the best car after all that experiance Hamilton is doing well.

Here is a pic of me racing 6-7 years ago!

I had a great time racing, and it was all funded by my father.. cuz its only at international level of karting you get paid!

It was very satifying turning up with the kart and trailer, and beating rich kids who turned up with motorhomes bigger than the average sized house and with 6 mechanics and 6 karts!!

Carlos