E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Minor Rock Chips in Hood - Solution?

02-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
Weezerlover2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 335i

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Minor Rock Chips in Hood - Solution?

Minor Rock Chips in Hood. Probably 6-8 total decent sized ones and a handful of minor ones.

Should I just touch up paint them or is there something better to fill the holes before using the OEM paint?

Is there a proper technique? I'm trying to avoid sanding the hood at all costs.

Is there a permanent/semi-permanent sealant for those spots?

(Color is Black Sapphire Metallic)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezerlover2 View Post
Minor Rock Chips in Hood. Probably 6-8 total decent sized ones and a handful of minor ones.

Should I just touch up paint them or is there something better to fill the holes before using the OEM paint?

Is there a proper technique? I'm trying to avoid sanding the hood at all costs.

Is there a permanent/semi-permanent sealant for those spots?

(Color is Black Sapphire Metallic)

So I have your color as well. The only way to 'prevent it' is to wrap the front with a clear bra - which isn't cheap. It's going to be around $500-$750 to do it right.

As for minor repair to the chips, I have found that Dr. Color Chip does a great job. You can still see the indentation where the chip was if you look really close, but anything more than a foot away or so, and it just disappears. I have been very satisfied with their products and can certainly recommend them.

Langka apparently is supposed to work better at filling in the actual divot, but I've not had personal experience.

Good luck.
      02-25-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I used Langka on mine to mixed results. Some of the spots I had a hard time finding once they were finished. In other areas, not so much. I ordered the OEM touch up paint and used the micro brushes linked below for application to fill in the holes as I'm not a fan of touch up paint brushes.

All in all, the rock chips were now black and don't stand out as much but once the sun hits these areas at certain angles the areas look like they have acne.

https://www.amazon.com/Eyelash-Exten...robrushes&th=1
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I used Langka on mine to mixed results. Some of the spots I had a hard time finding once they were finished. In other areas, not so much. I ordered the OEM touch up paint and used the micro brushes linked below for application to fill in the holes as I'm not a fan of touch up paint brushes.

All in all, the rock chips were now black and don't stand out as much but once the sun hits these areas at certain angles the areas look like they have acne.

You really should try Dr. Color Chip - I am super anal retentive when it comes to my cars, and I have been shocked at how well it works for such a low cost and effort.

Of course spending the money to professionally repaint the front of the car and then properly wrapping in a clear wrap is the best option, but sometimes it isn't necessary to spend that kind of money if you are just looking for a solution that doesn't bring it back to essentially brand new.
      02-25-2019, 01:56 PM   #5
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
You really should try Dr. Color Chip - I am super anal retentive when it comes to my cars, and I have been shocked at how well it works for such a low cost and effort.

Of course spending the money to professionally repaint the front of the car and then properly wrapping in a clear wrap is the best option, but sometimes it isn't necessary to spend that kind of money if you are just looking for a solution that doesn't bring it back to essentially brand new.
I'm typically very anal when it comes to my cars but for the past few months I've not let it bother me quite so much. I think it comes from the rainy weather (you know what I'm talking about as you aren't too far from me), the winter months - short days, long work days, gym time right after work and the fact that the car is now 11 years old and will be getting something new in the next few months.

Don't get me wrong it will get the life scrubbed out it and polished up as soon as I know it isn't going to rain 2 days after spending all day on it. Lately it just seems like if I spend a day on the car it's filthy 2 days later and things I should have spent my time on let me know of my lack of attention soon after.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      02-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #6
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think it comes from the rainy weather (you know what I'm talking about as you aren't too far from me)
What rainy weather? I have no idea what you are talking about......

This is actual video footage next to the Bristol Motor Speeway in the parking lot. I cracked up.

https://www.facebook.com/vickie.blev...5891387772616/

Also....

But everyone made fun of KY.....

Dpc2u11503.00
      02-26-2019, 03:58 PM   #7
Weezerlover2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

Thank you very much. I will give it a shot! Would I need to order Dr. Color Chip and the OEM touch up paint or just the Dr. Color Chip?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
Weezerlover2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

Thank you for the suggestion for the applicator tips. I will look into those!
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      02-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #9
Weezerlover2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
So I have your color as well. The only way to 'prevent it' is to wrap the front with a clear bra - which isn't cheap. It's going to be around $500-$750 to do it right.

As for minor repair to the chips, I have found that Dr. Color Chip does a great job. You can still see the indentation where the chip was if you look really close, but anything more than a foot away or so, and it just disappears. I have been very satisfied with their products and can certainly recommend them.

Langka apparently is supposed to work better at filling in the actual divot, but I've not had personal experience.

Good luck.
Is that clear bra like a vinyl wrap(3m like product)? Would I be able to do this "semi-professionally" on my own? I want it to look nice and be protected, but don't want to spend $600 on my hood.

Would you be able to see the paint repair spots through the clear bra after I repaint them via Color Chip(or Langka)?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 04:11 PM   #10
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you very much. I will give it a shot! Would I need to order Dr. Color Chip and the OEM touch up paint or just the Dr. Color Chip?
This is all you would need. Just be sure to really follow the directions correctly.

https://www.drcolorchip.com/cgi-bin/...5&redirect=yes

Quote:
Is that clear bra like a vinyl wrap(3m like product)? Would I be able to do this "semi-professionally" on my own? I want it to look nice and be protected, but don't want to spend $600 on my hood.

Would you be able to see the paint repair spots through the clear bra after I repaint them via Color Chip(or Langka)?
It would be highly unlikely for you to be able to do an appropriate job installing PPF (paint protection film) without many many hours of practice and instruction. If unwilling to spend the money to get the work done professionally, then I would just pass.

In addition, you would still see the chips that were corrected by Dr. Color Chip after the PPF was installed. To do it right, you would have the areas in question professionally repaired and then have the PPF installed afterwards.

In your case, this is probably overkill. Spend the $70 in the Dr. Color Chip and enjoy a 90% improvement. Redo the process annually or every other year as new chips arise.

When you purchase your next new car, then you can consider installing PPF to prevent the issues going forward. For pricing ideas, I am having PPF currently installed on my 360 Spider after a paint correction for the front clip - basically from the windshield forward - and the total price is coming out to about $2,000. It is not cheap.
      04-22-2019, 05:11 PM   #11
ducatiti
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

I was in a similar situation to include rock chips on the windshield. I filed an insurance claim and had the hood, bumper, front fenders painted, and replaced the windshield for an out of pocket of $500 which is my deductible. Picking up the car tonight, soooo excited
Appreciate 0