E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2007 328xi possible starter gone bad???

06-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
vjp5
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

Garage List
Question 2007 328xi possible starter gone bad???

I came back outside to my car not being able to start. All interior and exterior accessories seem to be working. When trying to start it wouldn't make much sound expect a very faint click that was barely noticeable. The car would not turn over, along with the key fob being unreleased from the key slot. After some trying it would be released. I was curious if it could be either the starter, starter motor relay or alternator. If someone could tell me how to diagnosis the issue better so i don't go out and fix something that didn't need to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 01:26 AM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

It does seem starter related. Same happened with my E90 couple years back.

Certainly your diagnosis should start at the battery; checking that it is giving enough juice. Easy way to check the starter is to try and tap it with a breaker bar or anything long and sturdy enough to reach it. Tap it a few times (don't go crazy) then try to start the engine again. Look this up on YouTube you'll see a few videos showing the location. Etc
      06-27-2019, 01:28 PM   #3
mastarron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive M Sport e92

Same as above post. This sounds like a bad starter, these symptoms were identical to mines a few years ago. Car was still under 50k warranty and all was replaced by BMW dealer.

Check your battery, if it readys 12.x+ volts, then your battery is good(remember, the more you are troubleshooting this with your car lights being on and stuff, the more your battery will drain since its not being recharged). If battery reads 12+volts and you only hear a faint click once, then stop hearing it, id bet that its a bad starter. I know on some older cars, you can whack the starter and it will start the car(no joke). So if you need to move your car once or twice you can try this before driving it.
Appreciate 0