E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Increased battery discharge error after replacing alternator pulley

06-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #1
mastarron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive M Sport e92

Increased battery discharge error after replacing alternator pulley

hey e9x’ers,

2011 328i

I had a bad pulley noise that i ruled to being the alternator pulley. I took the serpentine belt off and was able to confirm the alternator pulley was bad(wouldnt move either direction when “jamming” the alternator). I replaced the alternator pulley last night. The car sounds much better and has an great smooth idle now. my dashboard lit up with various errors which all went away after a short drive. My windows still need to be initialized, and i had to set the time/date since i disconnected the negative battery terminal to do this work.

I turn the car on again, and i see “increased battery discharge” error on my screen. The car did not hesitate to start at all. Im wondering if i need to re-register my battery? What are common reasons for this?

When i reinstalled the alternator with the new pulley, the black connecter(under the red connector) was not snapping on. However, visual inspection it still looks connected just fine. Could this be the issue? Another thing, i did connect the negative battery terminal pretty hard, should i loosen it up a little? What so you guys think my issue could be?

Im on my way to work right now, ill be checking it again tonight when i get back from work.

-mastarron
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
mastarron
Private First Class
Rep

On the train home now, any input would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 10:45 PM   #3
Gingeredone
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw, 328i

If the battery was disconnected then you will need to have the battery reprogrammed otherwise the car will overcharge and kill the battery. This is only if you disconnected the battery.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
mastarron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingeredone View Post
If the battery was disconnected then you will need to have the battery reprogrammed otherwise the car will overcharge and kill the battery. This is only if you disconnected the battery.
The alarm/error actually went off yesterday after a 1.5 hour drive.

I had disconnected the negative terminal on the battery. I just reprogrammed the battery, I will keep an eye on it for the next few days/weeks.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
mastarron
Private First Class
Rep

The alarm has not returned since. Ill keep an eye on it for the next few weeks and report back if something comes back up.

Not sure if the long drive did it, or if the battery register, or if both. either way, the register was super simple, so no harm in doing it. will keep this in mind for future work if I have to disconnect the negative battery terminal, or when I eventually have to buy a new battery.
Appreciate 0