E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dashboard squeak just above speedometer

03-20-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
Barry0305
Rep
Drives: 318i E90

Dashboard squeak just above speedometer

Heya E90 post,

so my car has developed this strange squeak of the plastic well in which the dashboard is located. The squeak only occurs when driving over rough surfaces (so the dashboard has to flex) so I don't hear it all the time, but it's still annoying having to hear it whenever I drive over a rough patch in the road or such. If we had perfect roads, I wouldn't have a problem...
I've located the place it comes from and I've tried holding down the plastic well and that made the squeak go away. The question is - is this at all fixable? I think it might've been caused by me parking the car outside and the sun making the plastic expand or something like that. Maybe it will go away in summer. I'm still curious if any of you have this squeak or if you know how to get rid of it. Any help appreciated.

video:

https://streamable.com/u79i0

About the video:

1) ignore the short strange vibration sound at the very beginning - I don't know what it is, but probably some error with the recording

2) as I'm demonstrating in the video, I can sometimes trigger the sound by flexing the plastic in the centre console as well, but all the sound comes from the dashboard well - the centre console is silent
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry0305 View Post
Heya E90 post,

so my car has developed this strange squeak of the plastic well in which the dashboard is located. The squeak only occurs when driving over rough surfaces (so the dashboard has to flex) so I don't hear it all the time, but it's still annoying having to hear it whenever I drive over a rough patch in the road or such. If we had perfect roads, I wouldn't have a problem...
I've located the place it comes from and I've tried holding down the plastic well and that made the squeak go away. The question is - is this at all fixable? I think it might've been caused by me parking the car outside and the sun making the plastic expand or something like that. Maybe it will go away in summer. I'm still curious if any of you have this squeak or if you know how to get rid of it. Any help appreciated.

video:

https://streamable.com/u79i0

About the video:

1) ignore the short strange vibration sound at the very beginning - I don't know what it is, but probably some error with the recording

2) as I'm demonstrating in the video, I can sometimes trigger the sound by flexing the plastic in the centre console as well, but all the sound comes from the dashboard well - the centre console is silent
Just taking a shot in the dark here...

Maybe it's rubbing against the plastic plate protecting your gauges. There are 2 screws that secure the plate to your dashboard. It's on the top right outside the plate. You could see if it's loose and it may just need to be tightened up.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #3
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

What the heck happened to your car? Those areas you pressed on, in my car it's 100% solid. Hard as a rock, nothing moves or flexes. I don't have the iDrive screen tho.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 03:42 AM   #4
Barry0305
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
What the heck happened to your car? Those areas you pressed on, in my car it's 100% solid. Hard as a rock, nothing moves or flexes. I don't have the iDrive screen tho.
All of the sound is coming from the plastic arch over the speedometer and rev counter. I can flex the arch directly or from the centre console but no sound is coming from anywhere other than this arch.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 04:40 PM   #5
Barry0305
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post

Maybe it's rubbing against the plastic plate protecting your gauges. There are 2 screws that secure the plate to your dashboard. It's on the top right outside the plate. You could see if it's loose and it may just need to be tightened up.
Thank you for the shooting! You were right. When I tried holding down the plastic plate and moving the dashboard, the sound was gone. Now I wonder if tightening the screws will be enough to hold the plastic plate firmly in place.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry0305 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post

Thank you for the shooting! You were right. When I tried holding down the plastic plate and moving the dashboard, the sound was gone. Now I wonder if tightening the screws will be enough to hold the plastic plate firmly in place.
If tightening it doesn't fully solve it, what works it's taking it out and putting something soft, like a small strip of Velcro or cloth on the top of the protecting plate and then screwing it so it makes it super tight.
Appreciate 0