E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Auto Trans Fluid and Filter Change for 328i/328xi

05-30-2019, 07:58 AM   #111
niksss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E92 328i X-Drive

Is this procedure identical for the x-drive models ? Some shops told me that I have to remove exhaust system and other parts. Is this true ?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 01:38 PM   #112
rothwem
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
So I just did this on my latest wagon--I forgot how good the shifting can be on these cars. Oddly the place I notice the shift quality the most is on manual mode downshifts, they're way smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niksss View Post
Is this procedure identical for the x-drive models ? Some shops told me that I have to remove exhaust system and other parts. Is this true ?
Same procedure, no exhaust removal required, though there is a sharp little exhaust bracket that probably would've been nice to take off that makes getting access to the fill plug tricky.
Appreciate 1
niksss5.00

09-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #113
Skers 05
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 1M Clone, 2011 328i Sedan

I wanted to thank a couple forum members for this thread!

iflyjetzzz - Thanks for creating the initial thread. I used alot of your documented knowledge this weekend while changing out the trans fluid, filter, filter "o-ring" and mechatronic sleeve gaskets.

hting - I really appreciate your pictures for the "o-ring" extractor tool! Worked perfectly!

ryan stewart - Thanks for your post about the mechatronic sleeve gaskets. I only knew to replace these due to your post!

Additional Info
I went to my local Advance Auto Parts and got the following fluid for $2.50 a qrt.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...052%7CL3*16358
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 05:30 PM   #114
Kit N.
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i

Thank you for all the posts on this forum!
I just want to share my experience working on this car. I'm 24 and I just read everything on this forum plus many YouTube videos. All common hand tools from harbor freight. The job is easy if you do enough research.

At 105k mileage 2010 BMW 328i coupe and the transmission is a GM6L45R. This transmission code is very important. I had ordered ZF parts without checking first so I had to return it(paid for shipping myself which was $70!!) So make sure you check the transmission code

I used redline D6 ATF. Apparently it's a very reliable brand so I went with it. Got all of my parts from FCPEURO.COM. They offer lifetime warranty on all of their parts including fluids! Just reorder the same parts, ship back the old ones and they will give you a refund of the new parts you purchased.

First problem I ran into once I got under the car was the drain bolt. It needs a 5mm Allen hex bit. It seemed the plug was over tighten and had stripped the bolt. I'd suggest cleaning out the dust and dirt from the drain plug before inserting your 5mm hex bit.
I solved this by hammering a slightly bigger size Torx bit into the drain plug. I'm replacing the drain plug anyway. But I'm also down one Torx bit cuz I can't get it out the old drain plug.

The pan bolts were not on very tight at all. I wouldn't recommend over-tighten the pan bolts. I HAND tightened them according to the sequence. Been driving for a few days now and no leaks. I actually hand tighten everything.

I didnt even bother getting the o-ring out. I left it there and just inserted the new filter and it fit perfectly with the old o-ring. (Hopefully it's ok. Will keep you updated). The o-ring is part metal part rubber. I figured it's already on there tight enough I didn't need to replace it.

Drained out 4quarts and spilled about .7 quart(when I dropped the pan and filter). When you insert the filter, it'll feel like it's in but you have to make sure it's snugged in there with no play. There shouldn't be any wiggling.

The old fluid was completely black with tiny particles just like OP. It did not smell bad. The old gasket looked really good too. High quality gasket for sure. The pan was in a great condition. Cleaned it with brake clean and wipe dry.

Put everything back together and fill the transmission. It was difficult to level the car completely but it was leveled enough that I was able to fill back new fluid of 4.7quarts. different posts said to fill it until it starts to overflow but I didn't want to fill more than what drained out. It didn't start to overflow at all. I could have probably added another quart but i was scared to. Initial fill at cold temp 3 quarts. Shift through gear while FOOTONBRAKE.(P>R>D>P etc) waited until pan temp reached 80 degrees
and filled the rest of fluid.

I'm happy to say the car did not make any weird transmission noises once the job was complete. I took it for a drive on the freeway and it shifted so smoothly!! Before the transmission service, the car had a rough shift from 1st to 2nd. But now it's smooth all around.

Make sure to put the undercarriage cover on before you take it on the freeway! The wind was so strong it broke part of the disconnected cover.

Now I'm paying a lot of attention on how my transmission shifts through gears. It's all smooth. But I'm having one issue that's bothering me. When I change the gear from Park to Reverse, there's a slight delay(maybe 1 second) and it jerked a little bit. I hadn't notice before the change of maybe I wasn't paying attention to it much. I've done research that it's normal for automatic transmission but it bothers me a lot.

2 things that bugged me after the job was completed.
1. Did not remove the O-ring
2. Not sure if my transmission is under filled.( I only added what drained out.)

Last edited by Kit N.; 01-02-2020 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 10:33 AM   #115
rothwem
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit N. View Post
When I change the gear from Park to Reverse, there's a slight delay(maybe 1 second) and it jerked a little bit.
That's textbook low fluid. The way I did my fill was to fill it cold with the engine off until its dribbling out, start the car, add more ATF till it dribbles, shift through gears, fill till it dribbles, shift again, fill till dribbles, wait until the fluid coming out is about bath water temp, then put the plug back in.

If no fluid was coming out when you put the fill plug in, you're most likely going to be low.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 10:58 AM   #116
gjm120
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

I would definitely re-check and top off the fluid. It would be hard to overfill it if you are doing things correctly unless you jammed the fill plug in while fluid was gushing out. When it gets to a slow trickle or drip, I don't see how you could overfill it.

You know the procedure it appears - just follow it to the letter.
      01-03-2020, 08:44 PM   #117
Kit N.
Rep

So I've been driving for over 100 miles now and there's no more jerk when changing gear and the car shifts fine. I added the same amount of fluids that drained out. It's possible my car was not completely level. It was tilting forward slightly.

Should I wait for low transmission fluid warning or do I have to get under the car to fill it again 😫. Please advise.

I'm planning on doing a drain and fill probably in about 15k miles.

Last edited by Kit N.; 01-03-2020 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 09:25 PM   #118
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to NinetyEight740
Quote:
So I've been driving for over 100 miles now and there's no more jerk when changing gear and the car shifts fine. I added the same amount of fluids that drained out. It's possible my car was not completely level. It was tilting forward slightly.

Should I wait for low transmission fluid warning or do I have to get under the car to fill it again 😫. Please advise.

I'm planning on doing a drain and fill probably in about 15k miles.
There is no low fluid warning, if itís low youíll only know by getting under and checking again.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 09:06 PM   #119
Kit N.
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
That's textbook low fluid. The way I did my fill was to fill it cold with the engine off until its dribbling out, start the car, add more ATF till it dribbles, shift through gears, fill till it dribbles, shift again, fill till dribbles, wait until the fluid coming out is about bath water temp, then put the plug back in.

If no fluid was coming out when you put the fill plug in, you're most likely going to be low.
So I got under the car today and did what you said. By the end the fluid was flowing out before I put the plug in. I was able to add about 250ml into the pan before it drips out. Shifted through the gears and then opened the plug again with fluid still flowing out so I closed it. Cleaned up shop and the car runs great.
Appreciate 1
rothwem232.00

01-11-2020, 11:19 PM   #120
Kit N.
Rep

Quote:
So I got under the car today and did what you said. By the end the fluid was flowing out before I put the plug in. I was able to add about 250ml into the pan before it drips out. Shifted through the gears and then opened the plug again with fluid still flowing out so I closed it. Cleaned up shop and the car runs great.
Update on my transmission: my e92 shifts perfectly! I don't think I've felt the car shifts so well before. However , I've been getting a very very slight whiff of the Redline ATF when start the car, turned on vents, and at stoplights idle. I cannot smell the ATF outside or from under. There are NO LEAKS. The smell does not occur Everytime I drive. It does not smell like burnt ATF . It smells like new ATF out of the bottle. I cleaned the car interior thoroughly because I thought I may have gotten ATF in the car interior but that wasn't the case. The new ATF smell occur very randomly. Some day it's not even there and some times it comes back.

The smell is coming from two places: vents and right behind the steering wheel. Please advise.

Last edited by Kit N.; 01-11-2020 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0