E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Signs water pump is ready to fail?

01-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #23
babywai
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Glim is correct. Read the link. But to summarize: I accidentally discovered the pump low speed fault code in the ECU during another maintenance activity several months after it occurred. The first fault code showed up around 138,000 miles. I cleared them. The second instance of codes came up at around 145K (IIRC). I cleared them. Then the pump died on a 100 degree day about a month ago now, at 149,500 miles. The detail to all this is in the thread Glim referenced. I drive about 40,000 miles a year, so this all happened in the past 5 months or so.

My advice is if you discover the codes with a scan (using a BMW-compatible scan tool) change the pump soon after because it will eventually fail. I dissected my pump and can only surmise the failure is related to over-heated electronics. My pump spun just fine and the plastic impeller looked as good as new. The electronics smelled burnt. There was a fult code once the pump failed that said "Electronics - 77 Deg. C."

There is no warning when it is about to fail. It fails, the car overheats, the idiot lights light up. It's a great idea to have an electric water pump, but a poor design implementation on BMW's part.
Have you replaced any temp sensor ? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #24
betaruce
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

sorry to bring back this old post

i am recently thinking about whether we need to prophylactically replace the wp/stat before it fail in the middle of the road. then i found this post and also read Eninty post which i hv found the answer: replace if the code 2e81 appear

but my ques is (which i still could not found the ans)
the problem appears to be deterioration of electronics over time with heat
so for the newer parts that we buy now, is it already improved? if yes, how is it modified compared to the old one?
Appreciate 0