E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > AVIN 8.8inch - who has this?

07-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #155
Cchristianh20
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i n55 e93

Garage List
2011 BMW 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddyus View Post
I've only had it for about a week. I contemplated for a long time getting the AVIN, but was reticent to buy a unit with such an old operating system and weak specs. I bought this unit from AliExpress under the brand, "Navifly."

There's little doubt it's the same basic unit Avin will be selling. This is Android 7.1.1 with a 32G ROM and 2GB RAM. Double the specs of the AVIN.

Unfortunately I never used the AVIN to compare, but overall this unit is solid. I'm prepping a more detailed write-up.

I don't believe the 4.4 units will be able to update to the 7.1.1 ROM.
thanks im going to check it out today then, no other problems?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #156
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White BMW 335i convertible

Quote:
I've only had it for about a week. I contemplated for a long time getting the AVIN, but was reticent to buy a unit with such an old operating system and weak specs. I bought this unit from AliExpress under the brand, "Navifly."

There's little doubt it's the same basic unit Avin will be selling. This is Android 7.1.1 with a 32G ROM and 2GB RAM. Double the specs of the AVIN.

Unfortunately I never used the AVIN to compare, but overall this unit is solid. I'm prepping a more detailed write-up.

Please post the link to the detailed write up in here! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #157
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:

Sweet! Looking forward to the write up. I am most curious about BT audio streaming quality. The current AVIN has a huge short coming in this respect and that's a compromise I am unwilling to make. Do you have Logic 7?

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc

Last edited by 6ixSpd; 07-10-2018 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 02:04 AM   #158
esberelias
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

does the Navifly have android side BT menu in settings?? I would like to use torque to monitor temps & boost via bluetooth and damn AVINUSA unit has it blocked and can only link phones though their dumb ass phone BT UI
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 07:25 AM   #159
Cchristianh20
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i n55 e93

Garage List
2011 BMW 335I  [0.00]
I seen that avin just released their version of the updated screen I going to order it and give some reviews on it
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #160
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Sweet! Looking forward to the write up. I am most curious about BT audio streaming quality. The current AVIN has a huge short coming in this respect and that's a compromise I am unwilling to make. Do you have Logic 7?
I do have Logic 7. I'll try to take some video/audio. Not sure how well it will come through, but I don't use the BT audio, so I've only briefly tested it. It didn't strike me as terrible, but I'll give it a more critical ear.
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6008.50
      07-11-2018, 09:33 AM   #161
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esberelias View Post
does the Navifly have android side BT menu in settings?? I would like to use torque to monitor temps & boost via bluetooth and damn AVINUSA unit has it blocked and can only link phones though their dumb ass phone BT UI
I actually burned a lot of time with this. I have a JB4 Bluetooth Connect Kit that I've used with my iphone for years. A lot of back and forth with Navifly and the JB4 app guys. The options just aren't there on the Android side to make it work. I ended up going back to the USB cable connection, which works fine, but of course, I can only use it on the head unit now and not the iphone.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #162
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

I am also curious about the updated BT audio. Please do let us know!

---

I believe the aux audio quality did improve going from CCC to CIC so for CIC users, it should be better than the audio that you are getting @toddyus

Last edited by PaKii94; 07-11-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 05:30 AM   #163
RU54HEL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerNub View Post
http://xtrons.co.uk/pe9890bpl-androi...-3-series.html
http://xtrons.co.uk/pb7890bp-android...-3-series.html

Both of these units have it. I have the 7 inch, Blueh has the 9 inch screen. To be honest, if you don't need a CD, I'd go for the bigger screen.
Hey BeamerNub, how you getting on with your set up 👆 on this? Really interested in getting unit with cd/dvd, I know you said go for the 9" but I'm still rockin some cds lol and a film might be cool, do these units work off the steering wheel controls?? (base spec system 2011 ed) help greatly appreciated as I think the oem unit is on its way out
Russ
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #164
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

Does anyone know if this will work with the CIC emulator harness which is used in retrofits. The emulator is needed for Nav and backup camera as far as I know.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2018, 10:53 AM   #165
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep

Android 7.1, 32G, 2GB - full review

Ok, so I’ve had the Navifly unit installed now for a couple weeks. Overall, for the cost of an OEM-look Android head unit, I’m very satisfied. By no means is it perfect, but it’s very good. My notes and takeaways are below. I do not cover things that have been covered widely with other Android units, like how to get into the system settings and changes to make there. If you have questions about those things or anything else, just ask. I did not take a lot of pictures, so if you need any, let me know.

Device specs –
• Navifly e90 Android 8.8 iDrive:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...ceBeautifyAB=0
• Android 7.1.1
• 32G ROM, 2GB
• BMW ID6 interface

• Price: Note, as of 7/20/18, the price has gone up substantially. I bought this unit for $380. I can't attest to other units with similar specs from different sellers, but suspect they're going to be similar/same

OEM environment:
• 2008 BMW E90 6MT
• CCC IDrive system
• Logic 7 Surround Sound

Installation notes:
• Items Installed:
o
Navifly head unit
o Rear view camera
o USB hub
o Carplay USB dongle
o USB extension in armrest
• Backup camera:
I ran a backup camera while installing the unit, mostly because I could. It has been useful for tight parallel parking situation. The main trick I had to figure out was the wiring. Here is the camera I used (this was also cheaper when I bought it):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After a lot of trial and error, I was able to get this to work as follows:

There are two red wires on either end of the camera video cable. Connect the red wire at the head unit side of the cable to the +12v wire coming from the head unit wire harness. Do not connect the other red wire to anything

From the OEM tail light wire harness, connect the black ground wire for the camera to the brown wire and connect another ~20-foot long wire (you will need to supply this wire) to the blue/black wire on the tail light harness (see photo below).

The new wire and the camera’s RCA video cable then need to be routed to the front of the car to the head unit. I routed these behind the trunk liner on the passenger side, under the back seat, under the interior kick panels, etc.

This wire connects to the “360 camera det” wire coming from the head unit harness. This threw me off because I don’t have OEM 360 cameras. Doesn’t matter.

It works great now. Comes on when I shift into reverse (I have a 6MT, btw) and provides dynamic parking lines as I turn the wheel.

I did not need to install a relay to account for any voltage drop in the tail light reverse signal.

• Installation of USB and video input into glovebox:
I routed the two USB inputs and video input cables into the glovebox for easy access. I decided I would not be using the video output connections and routed those behind the stereo.

• Difficulty fitting harnesses behind stereo and display:
One of the chief frustrations installing the unit is that the main harness and all its various branches could be 2-4 inches longer in every direction. I eventually was able to get everything routed and all pieces installed cleanly, but not without a lot of effort

• Grounding wire behind display:

Bolted to the back of the display unit was a black wire. I suspected this was a grounding wire, but as there was no documentation, had to confirm with the seller. He confirmed it was a grounding wire intended to cut out any static/RF signal noise. When the OEM amp is not muted and nothing is playing on the Android side, there is a bit of static/hum noise. It’s very important to note, if any audio is playing, the noise goes away completely. If you mute the head unit, the noise goes away completely, too.

I tested with and without the ground wire. I found connecting it reduced the buzz slightly. As noted, though, it’s not really an issue for me, because it’s not there when something is playing or audio is muted

• Powered USB hub:
I elected to install a 4-port, DC-powered USB hub. You could feasibly achieve this with a lighter socket USB hub, but I chose to go the hardwired route. This is the hub I used:

It looks like it is out of stock now, but I chose this unit because it’s circuitry is designed for the power environment of a car. It also has a jumper on the board you can switch to enable the unit to turn off when accessory power is removed, 5 minutes after accessory power is removed or 25 minutes after.

I installed this in the glovebox, connecting it to one of the head unit’s USB inputs. The head unit recognizes all devices plugged into the unit, which means I can have more than 2 USB devices connected at once. It also ensures that power-hungry USB devices get enough power.

• Carplay dongle:
In my other cars, I have been using Carplay for a couple years. Whatever you may feel about Apple and iPhones, I find it to be a convenient, user-friendly system. The CarPlay dongle I’m using is:

This works remarkably well with the Android unit. Note, it is supposed to also be compatible with Android Auto, but I don’t have an Android phone to test that.

For anyone who has used Carplay, this works the same as any other unit. I have the head unit “Navigation” option in the ID6 menu set to launch this app. “Hey Siri” work great.

The only gripes I have are that the iDrive knob (CCC) can be used to rotate through various elements on the CarPlay app, but the iDrive button cannot select them, so it’s a touch or voice only system. Additionally, the track change steering wheel controls do not work with this unit, and if you press them, it switches to the “Music” app in Android and switches tracks there. The CarPlay unit does not seem able to hijack focus from the underlying Android system.

The other gripe is that there is a splash screen asking permission to use the app every time you open it. I’ve read this can be resolved by making the app a “system” app and not a “user” app, but I haven’t explored that yet.

• USB extension in armrest:
I used a USB extension cable I had lying around to run into the armrest from the glovebox for easy access. I found it easiest to do this by pulling the center console trim, pulling the little rubber mat in the arm rest and fishing it through there.

Operation notes –
• Sound quality overall

Probably the piece people are most interested in. Note: this is in a CCC iDrive system with Logic 7.

The sound quality is excellent. Using any of the wired sources – Music app from USB thumb drive, Video app from USB thumb drive, Carplay music – it’s as good or better than the OEM side. Using Bluetooth, it is only minimally inferior to the wired sources. On par with the Tune2Air device I was using previously, which also uses the factory AUX IN port.

• JB4 app works great, but not able to connect via JB4 Bluetooth kit.
After much experimenting and troubleshooting with the vendor and the JB4 Connect app maker, I’ve concluded that this unit will not connect to the JB$ Bluetooth Connect Kit. It is a BLE (Bluetooth low energy) device and the unit simply can’t see it.

I have the unit connected to the JB4 using the USB wire connection and the app works great on the Android unit.

• Noise interference
As referenced above, when the unit is not mute and no audio source is playing, there is a low buzz/hum of static interference. It is completely absent when any audio is playing and, therefore, a non-issue in my opinion.

• System speed
I did not have one of the AVIN or similar 4.4 units to compare with, but I find the interface, app loading, etc. to be very smooth with a couple exceptions:

Occasionally, when Android is loading something in the background or accepting incoming emails, etc. the unit will stutter for a second. I turned off a number of Google services yesterday, which might help. Haven’t had enough road time to test.

System start time – I’m still working on this. Initially, load time from key start was 1-minute+. Yesterday, I installed the “Startup Manager” app in the Play store and blocked a number of user and system apps from loading at startup. That has cut the time to about 45 seconds. I’m hoping to get that down further.

It’s important to note that the backup camera comes on 90% of the time even while the system is starting up. Not sure why it doesn’t come the other 10% of the time.

• iDrive vs. touch
IDrive works for much of the control, but not all. Go into this treating it like a touch system. If you’re hoping to control everything with the iDrive controller, you will be disappointed.

That said, I initially thought the screen was too far away to be an effective touch system, but it’s really not.

• Apps tested and working. Notes on each are for exceptions and oddities.
o JB4 Mobile – cannot be used with Bluetooth connect kit, only with wired USB.
o Carplay – iDrive and steering wheel controls not usable.
o Netflix – works with full functionality, however, appears letterboxed. If you use the Netflix control to enlarge the screen, it gets larger, then when the play controls tuck away after a few seconds, leaves a strange black box at the bottom of the screen.
o DirectvNow – The app loaded the first time for me with a distorted splash screen and no clear way to get past it. Lots of tapping all over the screen got rid of it for me. Not sure how to replicate. Has not come back since.
o HBOGO
o Startup Manager
• Other notes
o
Your audio app of choice will play in the background as you navigate to/use other apps unless that app is an audio app. So, I can play music in Carplay or from Bluetooth or from USB and navigate to and use, say, the JB4 app. I can have the JB4 app up and music will continue to play in the background.
o I wish there was a way to pull up the app switcher using iDrive. This may be possible with a CIC controller?
o The screen is excellent and a huge upgrade from the stock CCC screen. It does catch some glare, but nothing that has restricted use for me. In fact, it’s better by far than the Kenwood Carplay units I have in two other cars.
o I have not tested the Torque app because I’m using the JB4 app
o Video looks great and plays smoothly from a thumb drive
Appreciate 2
6ixSpd6008.50
      07-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #166
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

awesome thanks for the write up. Do you actually think this is any different from the Avin one? After seeing the link you posted I had just assumed Avin sells these under their own brand name.

I'm disappointed to hear that it takes so long to start up. What is that experience like, can you switch to and use the stock idrive while booting?

If you are making frequent stops is it a cold boot every time?

I wish someone had tried this with a retrofitted CIC. My CIC is a retrofit so it required a hardware emulation harness for I believe GPS and rear camera functionality. Installing this android unit would require daisy chaining the harnesses so I'm no confident that will even work.

This would mean I would have to give up the stock nav (not the end of the world) and my stock backup camera (which I think would actually suck).
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #167
e36mcab
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e36mcab

Quote:
I took a chance and pulled the trigger on this unit:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...ceBeautifyAB=0

It is a 32G ROM, 2GB model running Android 7.1. Otherwise, appears to be similar/same unit AVIN is selling including the BMW ID6 interface. It's a gamble. Don't know how their support will be. I'll report in when I receive it.

I also installed this Android interface.

My thoughts on this:
It really needs to be modified to fit the opening. The bottom right corner of the screen bezel touches the hard molded plastic on my car. See video at the 13:06 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReDgLYIAsZc
The holes on the top mounting screws do not line up, most likely due to the screen bezel issue.
I managed to squeeze the screen and forced the screen to barely align with the mounting screws.
The bottom part of the screen does not sit flush with the opening, at least its a consistent gap of about 1/16", so it appears normal.
The screen bezel that was provided by this vendor seems to be an older design. The newer Avin units do no have this issue, as they have a different design.
I did not modify the screen, but more than likely I will once my GPS splitter arrives.

The wiring harness is really short. It was a PITA to get it to fit. It was necessary to squeeze the head unit to force it to fit. I managed to barely tuck the large piggy back harness to the bottom right. I'm not a fan of forcing things to fit.

The sound quality via BT streaming is good. I've compared the sound on Spotify to my Tune2Air I used previously and it's very close to the same. This may be due to the fact that both use the AUX connection in the armrest to stream music.
I also installed the Spotify app directly and the sound is also similar.

The back up camera works great and dynamic parking lines work perfect in conjunction with my rear PDC.

Other than the installation challenges, the Android unit is a nice upgrade to the old CCC system.
'95 318ti - Alpine White *Sold*
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 01:14 PM   #168
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep

See responses inline below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssshake View Post
awesome thanks for the write up. Do you actually think this is any different from the Avin one? After seeing the link you posted I had just assumed Avin sells these under their own brand name.

I don't know, but find it unlikely that it's any different. When I bought this one, Avin didn't have the newer unit yet and their price would have been much higher. That may not be the case now.

I'm disappointed to hear that it takes so long to start up. What is that experience like, can you switch to and use the stock idrive while booting?

You can certainly use stock while it boots up. It's longer than I would like, and it's a cold boot every time, but in practice it's not a dealbreaker. By the time you back our of your garage or navigate a parking spot, it's almost booted. It's only annoying when you're making a bunch of quick stops. I also think it can probably be improved with some tinkering.

If you are making frequent stops is it a cold boot every time?
Yes

I wish someone had tried this with a retrofitted CIC. My CIC is a retrofit so it required a hardware emulation harness for I believe GPS and rear camera functionality. Installing this android unit would require daisy chaining the harnesses so I'm no confident that will even work.

Again, I don't know this for fact, but if your harness fits an OEM CIC screen, you would likely be ok with the CIC version of this. You could try contacting AVIN and see if they know. If they don't, they may be willing to sell you a unit with a no-cost return option for the value of the test.

This would mean I would have to give up the stock nav (not the end of the world) and my stock backup camera (which I think would actually suck).
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #169
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Ya I'm sure the android unit will work with my CIC and CID, I'm just not sure if I go through their harness and then my nav emulation harness if that will cause conflicts.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #170
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
See responses inline below...
Actually you're the perfect person to ask if you don't mind. Avin won't answer any of my questions so if that's the level of support they offer I might as well order from the source anyway.

Questions:

What is the switching between android and idrive experience like?

Does it start in android by default and you press some button to get to idrive?

Which button? Can the button be remapped to another one?

Can you make it start in idrive and then some button to get to android? Is that configurable at all?

How does the camera work? It was my understanding that my stock idrive camera will still work, and that the display will know when I'm in reverse and automatically switch to the idrive camera view.

But I'm guessing you can also hook the camera directly to android, or can you do both?

How many video inputs does it have?

Does the android system intercept / prevent the idrive controls (wheel and button) from sending signals to the idrive unit itself when in android mode? Or else it must click on all kinds of random stuff that you can't see in the idrive menus.

Did you have to run aux audio, and what stereo did you have already? Was is the harmon 7 over fiber optics? I read somewhere, someone said depending on the stereo you have you might not need to use the aux line but that sounded false to me unless it somehow injects audio over the fiber line.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 09:42 PM   #171
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep

See answers below:

Quote:
Actually you're the perfect person to ask if you don't mind. Avin won't answer any of my questions so if that's the level of support they offer I might as well order from the source anyway.

Questions:

What is the switching between android and idrive experience like?
It's very simple. Just hold the idrive "menu" button for 3 seconds and it switches back or forth. If you switch to one and then back to the other, it returns to wherever you left off.

Does it start in android by default and you press some button to get to idrive?
You can get it to start in either side. There are instructions out on the web somewhere, but essentially, you start the system, switch to the side you want and, after 45 seconds or so, shut the system down. Let it completely shut down and when you start it again, it will return to the side you were on last.

On the Android side, if you are using one of the built-in system apps (Music, Video, Navigation) when you shut it down, it will return to that app.

Which button? Can the button be remapped to another one?
Menu button. I don't believe the system can remap any buttons.

Can you make it start in idrive and then some button to get to android? Is that configurable at all?
Same as above. Just hold menu for 3 seconds.

How does the camera work? It was my understanding that my stock idrive camera will still work, and that the display will know when I'm in reverse and automatically switch to the idrive camera view.
I believe that is the case. In the settings menu for the camera, there are options for OEM camera, Aftermarket Camera, and 360 degree camera. In theory, you would just select "OEM camera"

But I'm guessing you can also hook the camera directly to android, or can you do both?
With the stock camera, I don't think you would need to do anything. It should work on either side, but obviously, I haven't tested that.

How many video inputs does it have?
It has a video input for the aftermarket backup camera, one auxiliary audio/video input and two video outputs. All sets are composite.

Does the android system intercept / prevent the idrive controls (wheel and button) from sending signals to the idrive unit itself when in android mode? Or else it must click on all kinds of random stuff that you can't see in the idrive menus.
Great question. iDrive controls don't have any issues. They work in the app that's in focus. The only exception I've run into, as noted in my write-up, is with the carplay accessory. In that app, it will select items, but not let you activate them by pressing the button.

The steering wheel controls are not exactly cut and dried. The volume controls work universally. The track change buttons work in the native apps (music, video), but the "special buttons" continue to work in the OEM side even when you are in Android as far as I can tell. I do not believe there is any option to map them to actions on the Android side.

Did you have to run aux audio, and what stereo did you have already? Was is the harmon 7 over fiber optics? I read somewhere, someone said depending on the stereo you have you might not need to use the aux line but that sounded false to me unless it somehow injects audio over the fiber line.

I have the Logic 7 system and already had the factory aux connection. I do not see how this unit can work without it. The fiber line needs to be used by the stock unit and during installation, you actually pull those connectors and patch them in as a passthrough to the new harness so they stay intact for the OEM side.

Thanks,
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2018, 02:25 AM   #172
DYOOS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 N55

Very interesting thread
      08-01-2018, 07:36 AM   #173
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Has anyone tried using a USB DAC with the 7.1 version of the Avin?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #174
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Has anyone tried using a USB DAC with the 7.1 version of the Avin?
very few have the new unit so far (I think only the one guy above lol). do you mean connecting AHU ->usb-> dac-> aux->car?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 04:04 PM   #175
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ya I'm sure the android unit will work with my CIC and CID, I'm just not sure if I go through their harness and then my nav emulation harness if that will cause conflicts.
This is something I'd like to know too.I currently have the backup camera stuff sitting waiting.technically the harness is supposed to be similar to OEM right? So I would assume the AHU will read it as a built in camera but obviously there could be discrepancies. If you wait a month, I'll probably buy the unit and try it myself. As far as AVIN vs directly from China, I think they ARE the same exact product, just rebranded. If you want the customer support I'd go AVIN but for me customer support is usually trash so I'll just save the money and will be going directly from china

Last edited by PaKii94; 08-01-2018 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 04:07 PM   #176
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
See answers below:
Hey toddy. thanks for the indept review and replies. Just wanted to say, I am sure we all appreciate the feedback you gave us! I am very close to pulling the trigger. The price on them has dropped further to approx $360. It's become very enticing. i had a few more questions:

- What happens if you press any of the other idrive buttons on the android side? (for example, what happens when you press nav or CD?) I would love to remap that for shortcuts to my music player and google maps on the android side. I know you said it's not possible but while browsing these units, I think i saw some pictures that showed you CAN remap them.

-With the GPS antenna, why is the splitter necessary? If I don't care for stock navigation, could I just directly connect it to the AHU and just say FU to the stock NAV?

-Did you have the cutout problem that e36mcab mentions?

-with the grounding wire, where did you attach it to? I know you said it reduced noise a little bit but the location can make a big difference.

-If I read your post correctly, if we don't have OEM backup camera right now, we can install directly to the AHU and it'll work? I thought you couldn't get dynamic parking lines with the MT. Guess I was wrong

Last edited by PaKii94; 08-01-2018 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0