E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e90 wont crank after fuel pump replacement

05-04-2021, 06:58 PM   #1
neonbrown
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

e90 wont crank after fuel pump replacement

Just replaced the fuel pump on my e90 2006 325i today, plugged it up to a jump starter tried to give it a go.

I hear the fuel pump turn on when i try to start the car, which is a good sign for the fuel pump working but im not getting any crank.

Since replacing the starter requires removing the IM i figured I would ask here first to inquire for any help if anybody might have any idea on how to get this bad boy running again.

I will try to get some video later this evening

thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 07:14 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Did you do a fuel pressure check at the fuel rail?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 07:36 PM   #3
neonbrown
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Did you do a fuel pressure check at the fuel rail?
i have not.

If doing so requires a certain gauge, I don't posses that tool
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 01:56 AM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

So did it start before you changed the pump?
Did it turn over before you change the pump?
Have you checked the battery voltage.
Did you try to fully charge the battery ?
A long slow charge that leaves the battery at least above
12.4 volts
Has the car been setting around for a long time?
Why did you change the fuel pump?

Last edited by ctuna; 05-05-2021 at 02:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 02:30 AM   #5
neonbrown
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
So did it start before you changed the pump?
Did it turn over before you change the pump?
Have you checked the battery voltage.
Did you try to fully charge the battery ?
A long slow charge that leaves the battery at least above
12.4 volts
Has the car been setting around for a long time?
sorry was quickly typing out the post earlier while taking a break on the car. now my evening is over and i can add more information.

The car was sitting for a while before I had changed the battery about 3-4 weeks ago. Upon changing the battery for a new one, I decided to start her up and take her for a spin. I was able to to drive down a couple miles (still near my neighborhood), till i finally hit a red light. At the light the car sputtered and stalled, it is an automatic. I remembered in the moment that back when this car was being driven often, that it would do that from time to time and its reliability was the reason it was sitting for so long.

I got it back home and it sat once again until I tried to start her up a bit later in the week. As I attempted to start it again the key fob got stuck in the slot near the steering column. The car sat again for a few days until I was able to source a new key fob slot from a local junkyard because the original one was damaged from me removing.

While the keyfob slot was damaged i suspect it was drawing power because after replacing it I had attempted to start the car and to my surprise the new was dead. After taking it to O'Reilleys to get it tested the battery needed to be replaced.

So I got a new battery and im sitting in the car and ready to start her up and surely it does not crank, and as I sat there in silence and honest dismay, I noticed I wasn't hearing the hum from the fuel pump. *Removed key, Re-inserted key* *attempt to start* Still no hum.

I suspected it either to be the fuel pump or MAF sensor initially because the car was also stuttering and thats what caused it to stall. I havent been able to run any codes because the only ODB plug monitor I own is for my m2.

I hopped on ebay and bought a fuel pump, installed it. It hums now, but still won't crank.

Now i'm here living the meme that BMW really standards for Break My Wallet.

(i'm the second owner of this car, and only used it briefly)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 09:21 PM   #6
neonbrown
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

At this point im assuming its the starter, and will probably dedicate a weekend to removing the IM and get it done.

Unless anyone else can chime in with some experience and help a guy out.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 03:28 AM   #7
UK_Nomad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 325i Cabriolet

Hi, when my starter died I could hear the starter relay click when I tried to start the car (it's located under the bonnet/hood in a box by the bonnet hinge).
If you can't hear the relay click, you need to find out why before thinking the starter is faulty.

Does everything look normal when you put the key in and turn on the ignition without starting the car, or it it behaving differently since you changed the key fob slot? Turn on the lights and try to start, do the lights go very dim (a sign of a battery that needs charging / replacing). Can you measure the battery voltage?

Last edited by UK_Nomad; 05-06-2021 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 02:44 PM   #8
neonbrown
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_Nomad View Post
Hi, when my starter died I could hear the starter relay click when I tried to start the car (it's located under the bonnet/hood in a box by the bonnet hinge).
If you can't hear the relay click, you need to find out why before thinking the starter is faulty.

Does everything look normal when you put the key in and turn on the ignition without starting the car, or it it behaving differently since you changed the key fob slot? Turn on the lights and try to start, do the lights go very dim (a sign of a battery that needs charging / replacing). Can you measure the battery voltage?

Battery died again, took it back. When I get a new one I will try to listen for this sound before committing to replacing the starter.

thanks for the response
Appreciate 0