E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Valvetronic motor question

05-06-2021, 10:40 AM   #1
EJOE12345
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 325i 6 spd

Valvetronic motor question

Hello I'm doing my Valve Cover Gasket soon and I've read a lot about the VVT and how it either needs to be put into service mode through INPA or using an Allen wrench. I'd rather do it through INPA but I'm not sure how to do this. I have INPA and it works but how do I put it into and out of service mode correctly through the program?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 12:05 PM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

It's really easy with an allen key. You just turn the motor until it's got the valvetronic fully closed (so there's no tension on the intermediate shaft). Probably easier than messing around with INPA if you don't know how to use it.
Appreciate 1
nsjames2440.00
      05-06-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i XDrive

Garage List
I agree, the manual Allen key method is easy. This is the best video on how to do so in my opinion.

Watch the second half. First half is eccentric shaft seal replacement.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 12:37 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJOE12345 View Post
Hello I'm doing my Valve Cover Gasket soon and I've read a lot about the VVT and how it either needs to be put into service mode through INPA or using an Allen wrench. I'd rather do it through INPA but I'm not sure how to do this. I have INPA and it works but how do I put it into and out of service mode correctly through the program?
Conspiracy Theory; Web-Legend; BOTH HAZARDOUS to Engine

There is NO "Service Mode" for VVT ServoMotor. INPA will NOT change your VCG for you in ANY WAY.

This Procedure, as found in ISTA (BMW Dealer-Level Software) is discussed in detail, and 4 ScreenPrints from ISTA are found in Posts #7 & #8 of the following Thread:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...VVT+Servomotor
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...47&postcount=8

You MUST use wrench to turn ServoMotor Worm Gear (Motor Output Shaft) THREE different times:
1) BEFORE you release the bolts securing Motor, turn CLOCKWISE; This sets Eccentric Shaft to "0-Lift" position so the Shaft Mechanism will NOT be damaged when you remove the ServoMotor.

2) As you remove ServoMotor (after removing motor-securing bolts), turn COUNTER-CLOCKWISE and slowly move ServoMotor OUT of VC as you unscrew ServoMotor Worm Gear from Eccentric Shaft.

3) When you Re-install Servomotor, you SLOWLY insert Motor as you turn Worm Gear CLOCKWISE, and quit turning gear when ServoMotor is seated on gasket face and slight resistance to turning is felt.

There should NEVER be any force required, and NO snapping of components should occur during removal or reassembly. THAT can break something expensive. If you take the time to understand what you are doing and why, you'll be OK. Looking at the pictures of what the Eccentric Shaft Gear looks like will enhance your understanding. See Bentley for similar information, but make sure you visit the 130-Fuel Injection section for COMPLETE details. BOTH Bentley & ISTA OMIT the details of turning the Worm Gear in some sections addressing VC removal, so make sure you thoroughly researched (OR read links above ;-) BEFORE turning wrench.

INPA DOES have a procedure for "Learning VVT Stops". It's found in INPA > F9 Line End Diagnosis > F1 SystemTest Learn VVT Stops. I have NOT run that procedure myself, and don't know if it's actually necessary, either when Reinstalling same Motor, or a Replacment ServoMotor. My SWAG is that essentially resets Adaptations in the DME (the Motor is just a "Dumb" motor). You can also use INPA to "Activate" the ServoMotor and check Target angle vs. Actual Eccentric Shaft Angle.

I believe you will find that the DME sets the Eccentric Shaft to ~ 45 degrees for Engine Start (MORE throttle or Valve Lift than required for warm idle). That angle falls to ~ 30 degrees after Startup, and falls further to ~ 19 or 20 degrees during warm idle. It increases to ~ 26 degrees with Compressor Valve Activated (MORE engine load). Those are values I have observed on my 3/2007 328xi with N52KP engine, using INPA. The INPA Screen used to either Activate the ServoMotor or to read actual Eccentric Shaft Angle while under DME Control (NO Activation or "Over-ride" of DME control -- just observing):
INPA > DME > F6 Activations Main Menu > F1 Activations Group 1 Menu > Shft+F7 Activate (or simply observe) VVT ServoMotor/ Eccentric Shaft Angle

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2424.00
      05-06-2021, 11:42 PM   #5
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

+1 with an allen wrench. It is all you need!

(it was for me, an allen socket in my case). BTW I also RTV'ed the football gasket, not just where the motor sits (motor side only, not on the valve cover side) but where the football meets up with the PoS valve cover as well:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=16

Here is another member's (with RTV on the valve cover side of the football gasket):
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1536946&page=2

Last edited by mainbearing; 05-06-2021 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 03:13 AM   #6
bong8097
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 328

It's really easy to remove once the tension is released. Rather, it can be difficult to choose a tool.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 03:29 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

So with respect to my friend George, when I did the valve cover work on my car 6 years ago, I followed the procedure in the Bentley service manual. I don't think the Bentley procedure misses any steps with regards to the use of the Allen key to remove and install the Valvetronic motor.

As George indicated, the Allen key is used to turn the Valvetronic motor off the the ESS cam curved gear as the motor is backed out off of the cylinder head. Then reinstalling the motor, the Allen key is used to pull the motor back in.

The BMW scan tool then has a routine to calibrate the VVT system (i.e. to find the stops).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #8
EJOE12345
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:

There is NO "Service Mode" for VVT ServoMotor. INPA will NOT change your VCG for you in ANY WAY.

This Procedure, as found in ISTA (BMW Dealer-Level Software) is discussed in detail, and 4 ScreenPrints from ISTA are found in Posts #7 & #8 of the following Thread:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...38;postcount=8

You MUST use wrench to turn ServoMotor Worm Gear (Motor Output Shaft) THREE different times:
1) BEFORE you release the bolts securing Motor, turn CLOCKWISE; This sets Eccentric Shaft to "0-Lift" position so the Shaft Mechanism will NOT be damaged when you remove the ServoMotor.

2) As you remove ServoMotor (after removing motor-securing bolts), turn COUNTER-CLOCKWISE and slowly move ServoMotor OUT of VC as you unscrew ServoMotor Worm Gear from Eccentric Shaft.

3) When you Re-install Servomotor, you SLOWLY insert Motor as you turn Worm Gear CLOCKWISE, and quit turning gear when ServoMotor is seated on gasket face and slight resistance to turning is felt.

There should NEVER be any force required, and NO snapping of components should occur during removal or reassembly. THAT can break something expensive. If you take the time to understand what you are doing and why, you'll be OK. Looking at the pictures of what the Eccentric Shaft Gear looks like will enhance your understanding. See Bentley for similar information, but make sure you visit the 130-Fuel Injection section for COMPLETE details. BOTH Bentley & ISTA OMIT the details of turning the Worm Gear in some sections addressing VC removal, so make sure you thoroughly researched (OR read links above ;-) BEFORE turning wrench.

INPA DOES have a procedure for "Learning VVT Stops". It's found in INPA > F9 Line End Diagnosis > F1 SystemTest Learn VVT Stops. I have NOT run that procedure myself, and don't know if it's actually necessary, either when Reinstalling same Motor, or a Replacment ServoMotor. My SWAG is that essentially resets Adaptations in the DME (the Motor is just a "Dumb" motor). You can also use INPA to "Activate" the ServoMotor and check Target angle vs. Actual Eccentric Shaft Angle.

I believe you will find that the DME sets the Eccentric Shaft to ~ 45 degrees for Engine Start (MORE throttle or Valve Lift than required for warm idle). That angle falls to ~ 30 degrees after Startup, and falls further to ~ 19 or 20 degrees during warm idle. It increases to ~ 26 degrees with Compressor Valve Activated (MORE engine load). Those are values I have observed on my 3/2007 328xi with N52KP engine, using INPA. The INPA Screen used to either Activate the ServoMotor or to read actual Eccentric Shaft Angle while under DME Control (NO Activation or "Over-ride" of DME control -- just observing):
INPA > DME > F6 Activations Main Menu > F1 Activations Group 1 Menu > Shft+F7 Activate (or simply observe) VVT ServoMotor/ Eccentric Shaft Angle

George
This is a great write up. Thank you so much! I will watch some videos and find a Bentley manual. Didn't realize you had to turn counterclockwise on the Allen key slot as you're taking it out. And vice Versa when going back in. I've just heard some horror stories when people do this
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 09:54 AM   #9
EJOE12345
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So with respect to my friend George, when I did the valve cover work on my car 6 years ago, I followed the procedure in the Bentley service manual. I don't think the Bentley procedure misses any steps with regards to the use of the Allen key to remove and install the Valvetronic motor.

As George indicated, the Allen key is used to turn the Valvetronic motor off the the ESS cam curved gear as the motor is backed out off of the cylinder head. Then reinstalling the motor, the Allen key is used to pull the motor back in.

The BMW scan tool then has a routine to calibrate the VVT system (i.e. to find the stops).
So INPA or ISTA isn't needed in the end? Also is there anywhere I can get the Bentley manual for less than 100$?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 10:01 AM   #10
EJOE12345
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...38;postcount=8

George
Also, how many times do I turn clockwise before I undo the bolts holding the motor in and proceed to turn counterclockwise? Until i feel tension right?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 10:16 AM   #11
EJOE12345
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf1773 View Post
I agree, the manual Allen key method is easy. This is the best video on how to do so in my opinion.

Watch the second half. First half is eccentric shaft seal replacement.

Is the shaft seal something I should do when I do the VCG?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 02:07 PM   #12
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Here's the manual

http://www.georgebelton.com/335i.tech/bentley.php

Can make yourself a paper version of nobody is looking at work and you've got a printer nearby
      05-07-2021, 03:00 PM   #13
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
... Didn't realize you had to turn counterclockwise on the Allen key slot as you're taking it out. And vice Versa when going back in. I've just heard some horror stories when people do this
Quote:
So INPA or ISTA isn't needed in the end? Also is there anywhere I can get the Bentley manual for less than 100$?
Actually, the "horror stories" occur when people do NOT do the "3X" hex rotation of Worm Gear.

As "E92_William" stated, George Belton's page has free link to SEARCHABLE 1265-page Bentley Manual. Having gone to great lengths to have a "paper-less office", and to be able to quickly find the desired page(s) of an electronic document, I really appreciate a searchable pdf.

For instance, if you search (Ctrl+Shft+F) "Valvetronic Motor", you get 19 hits. You can quickly "Down-Arrow" each line in searchbox until you find the detailed removal procedure. If you're working in an environment you do NOT want your laptop exposed to, you can always print the pages or selection desired and if you get grease on them, NO problem.

For ALL/Most of the Freebie's I know, including Bentley PDF, see the attached "E9x References".

Hi "F30".
Don't know if I misunderstood YOUR post, or mine got garbled, but what I was saying is that the Bentley Manual at 130-17, page 270 of pdf, has basically the SAME, COMPLETE procedure for turning the Hex bolt "3X" as the 4 ScreenPrints from ISTA show.

What I was trying to convey (COVFEFE ;-) is the fact that BOTH Bentley and ISTA have places where the COMPLETE description of VVT Motor removal is NOT provided, such as Bentley 113-4, where someone in a hurry would just remove the three motor bolts WITHOUT first releasing tension on Eccentric shaft (SPRONGGGG ;-)

Of course YOU read the fine print and references to later sections, and wind up reading the COMPLETE procedure BEFORE turning wrench.
Contrary to beliefs professed by the "founding fathers", NOT "all men are created equal", and these days many/most are in too big a hurry.

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E9x References 210203 Revision.pdf (225.8 KB, 74 views)
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17205.00
      05-07-2021, 03:31 PM   #14
EJOE12345
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
... Didn't realize you had to turn counterclockwise on the Allen key slot as you're taking it out. And vice Versa when going back in. I've just heard some horror stories when people do this
Quote:
Actually, the "horror stories" occur when people do NOT do the "3X" hex rotation of Worm Gear.

As "E92_William" stated, George Belton's page has free link to SEARCHABLE 1265-page Bentley Manual. Having gone to great lengths to have a "paper-less office", and to be able to quickly find the desired page(s) of an electronic document, I really appreciate a searchable pdf.

For instance, if you search (Ctrl+Shft+F) "Valvetronic Motor", you get 19 hits. You can quickly "Down-Arrow" each line in searchbox until you find the detailed removal procedure. If you're working in an environment you do NOT want your laptop exposed to, you can always print the pages or selection desired and if you get grease on them, NO problem.

For ALL/Most of the Freebie's I know, including Bentley PDF, see the attached "E9x References".

Hi "F30".
Don't know if I misunderstood YOUR post, or mine got garbled, but what I was saying is that the Bentley Manual at 130-17, page 270 of pdf, has basically the SAME, COMPLETE procedure for turning the Hex bolt "[COLOR="Red"]3X[/COLOR]" as the 4 ScreenPrints from ISTA show.

What I was trying to convey (COVFEFE ;-) is the fact that BOTH Bentley and ISTA have places where the COMPLETE description of VVT Motor removal is NOT provided, such as Bentley 113-4, where someone in a hurry would just remove the three motor bolts WITHOUT first releasing tension on Eccentric shaft (SPRONGGGG ;-)

Of course YOU read the fine print and references to later sections, and wind up reading the COMPLETE procedure BEFORE turning wrench.
Contrary to beliefs professed by the "founding fathers", NOT "all men are created equal", and these days many/most are in too big a hurry.

George
Awesome thank you! I really appreciate it! And the 3x turn is just referring to the steps you pointed out earlier. Right? Sorry for the stupid question, but want to make sure before I tackle this job later.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 04:18 PM   #15
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is the shaft seal something I should do when I do the VCG?
The eccentric shaft gasket is like $3. Its worth doing when you do the vcg, yes. Mine was leaking a little and one of the eccentric shaft sensor tabs was broken so I replaced that sensor as well.

But that sensor is expensive for what it is, but if it fails you have to remove the vc again which was my reasoning.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 07:15 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
Here's the manual

Can make yourself a paper version of nobody is looking at work and you've got a printer nearby
That's a whole lotta paper my friend. And I'm interested in how Bentley/BMW hasn't knocked his website down. As one who bought the manual when it first came out, I'm a bit miffed someone is offering it as a bogus download; it costs Bentley money to protect its intellectual property and BMW's IP.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 07:31 AM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Hi "F30".
Don't know if I misunderstood YOUR post, or mine got garbled, but what I was saying is that the Bentley Manual at 130-17, page 270 of pdf, has basically the SAME, COMPLETE procedure for turning the Hex bolt "3X" as the 4 ScreenPrints from ISTA show.

George
While I do believe the Founding Fathers were correct, we are as well, all equal in the ability to be in error. Apparently I read your statement too quickly (I must have been in a hurry ). I guess I used the Bentley (paper copy) correctly and went to the proper section that has the full procedure; which is what I was referencing from my memory of performing the VCG repair on July 5, 2016. I've not yet read the Bentley manual cover to cover, so I was not aware there are other sections regarding the VVT motor that are insufficient of data. As usual, you Fine Sir, have read all the details; I just used the book's INDEX to source the information I needed. I'm Old Skool that way .

Apologies...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 05-08-2021 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 10:50 AM   #18
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well while it isn't right to post it for free, it isn't as good as I thought it was anyway. I was trying to find the procedure for the oil filter housing and couldn't find the bolt torque for the heat exchanger, maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing in the document. But I just used newtis as I always have instead
      05-09-2021, 02:53 PM   #19
EJOE12345
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbearing View Post
+1 with an allen wrench. It is all you need!

(it was for me, an allen socket in my case). BTW I also RTV'ed the football gasket, not just where the motor sits (motor side only, not on the valve cover side) but where the football meets up with the PoS valve cover as well:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...8;postcount=16

Here is another member's (with RTV on the valve cover side of the football gasket):
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...946&page=2
I've also heard of putting some RTV on the engine side. I think I'm going to do that in this one. Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 07:48 PM   #20
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

I just replaced the gasket without using rtv. The previous owner had used rtv back when I replaced the valve cover after getting the car and I thought it was a very shoddy way to go about it but if it's the only way to get it to seal long term I'll consider it. Can see the remnants of rtv still to this date
Attached Images

05-09-2021, 11:03 PM   #21
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yea mine wouldn't seal on the valve cover, I tried 4 times with 4 new gaskets.

I replaced the valve cover. It was the best solution for me. I had other issues though.

I've seen a video somewhere, someone was using some sort of paint remover to finally remove all that rtv a PO applied. Thats a sketchy thing to do though. Especially if you have to scrape the rtv off. Not to gouge the metal.

I think maybe the valvetronic motor gaskets leak partially because the valve cover plastic gets weak over time and heat cycles do not do it any favors. Not always the metal mating surface.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 01:51 AM   #22
Jesda
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 N52 78k

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
I just replaced the gasket without using rtv. The previous owner had used rtv back when I replaced the valve cover after getting the car and I thought it was a very shoddy way to go about it but if it's the only way to get it to seal long term I'll consider it. Can see the remnants of rtv still to this date
I ended up using black permatex to stop it from leaking. It was the only way.