E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Installing AIC2-P for PI control

06-25-2021, 06:36 PM   #1
Alturiak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Installing AIC2-P for PI control

I'm installing a Split Second AIC2-P on my 2011 N55 with PS2 and full fuel-it PI system. I couple things I'd like to get a little guidance on, as I have not seen any write-ups of people running this: what wire do I use for the ECU SIG GND (ECU signal ground)? And I'd also like to take advantage of the pressure capabilities, does anyone know where I would hook up for the reference pressure signal? I believe it's a vacuum hose sized line, but don't know where I'd be able to tie that into...

Any help is greatly appreciated
2011 E92 M-Sport BSM, Built N55 with 9.5:1 compression and forged internals, VAC Stage 3 Ported Head, custom tuned by Twisted Tuning, PR Coils, Pure Stage 2, Fuel It! Phoenix Race PI Manifold, StopTech BBK 380mm front 345mm rear, BBS CH-R Titanium, Dinan exhaust w/black tips, BMS Intake, DCT shifter retrofit, VRSF 3.5" downpipe, VRSF 7" HD IC, CSL CF trunk, 335is Rear Diffusor, Alpina B3 Trans Flash
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #2
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

All the info is on the Fuel-It web site. There is a diagram explaining how to hook up the wires for both JB4, with back end flash or custom flash tune. Steve will actually help you with tuning the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 01:52 PM   #3
Alturiak
Private First Class
Rep

They have info on hooking up the AIC6 controller, not the AIC2-P. I mainly bought the AIC2-P so I can integrate the ethanol analyzer and take advantage of the pressure sensors and wanted to know how to properly hook those up. Luckily Split Second got back to me on which to use for the E content, but I'm into N55 specific stuff for the rest of it. For a few of the wires, yes, the Fuel-It! instructions carry over, but for connections like the ECU SIG GND I'm not sure where to go for that.
2011 E92 M-Sport BSM, Built N55 with 9.5:1 compression and forged internals, VAC Stage 3 Ported Head, custom tuned by Twisted Tuning, PR Coils, Pure Stage 2, Fuel It! Phoenix Race PI Manifold, StopTech BBK 380mm front 345mm rear, BBS CH-R Titanium, Dinan exhaust w/black tips, BMS Intake, DCT shifter retrofit, VRSF 3.5" downpipe, VRSF 7" HD IC, CSL CF trunk, 335is Rear Diffusor, Alpina B3 Trans Flash
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #4
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I know where to get a hot signal but not sure if there is a signal ground.. Let me look.. I used the meth plug on charge pipe for boost signal if that is what you are looking for..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 02:52 PM   #5
Alturiak
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunafishE93 View Post
I know where to get a hot signal but not sure if there is a signal ground.. Let me look.. I used the meth plug on charge pipe for boost signal if that is what you are looking for..
Do you have any pics of your setup? What type of adapter did you use on your meth bung?

Yeah I'm not too worried about the positive and negative wiring, engine tach wire, etc. It even sounds like the engine ground isn't a requirement, but used to provide a clean signal. Are you using any of the other options on yours?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 03:52 AM   #6
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I am not running PI but meth which only has boost display.. I have a two bung charge pipe with meth shooting from below and signal coming from above.. Just used this adaptor https://www.ebay.com/itm/324008911399 and that went to standard size boost lines https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bra...m-od-x-20mm-id
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 11:34 AM   #7
Alturiak
Private First Class
Rep

Nice, I was just looking at that style adapter last night. Great minds think alike! Did you run yours to PT1 as well? I'm under the impression PT1 is for the boost pressure and PT2 is for the reference (atmosphere) pressure.

So I believe I have all the connections mapped out, and want to run them by you in case I've missed something or misunderstood something. Most of this is from talking with Split Second for the proper inputs to use, but so far I have this:

BATT+ (Red, 18ga) wire to 12V switched large red wire in black connector at back of DME box
BATT- (Black, 18ga) wire to chassis ground (shock tower acceptable)
SIG GND (Black/Yellow, 20ga) ECU signal ground wire to TMAP ground (black/yellow wire, opposite postion of yellow signal wire)
TACH (Yellow/Black, 20ga) engine speed signal wire to Dark Gray/Black wire in DME box (small textured wire that extends through DME box)
VIN (Green, 20ga) external voltage input wire to TMAP sensor signal wire (yellow wire on sensor harness, opposite black/yellow ground connection)
AFR (Yellow, 20ga) External AFR meter wire to ethanol analyzer
PT1 run hose to meth bung adapter on charge pipe for engine boost pressure
PT2 leave open to atmosphere for reference pressure

NOT USED:
IAT (Gray, 20ga) Air temp sensor
MAP SW (Brown, 20ga) Switch to ground to select table B
RELAY (Orange, 20ga) Low side of relay coil
INJ+ (2) (Red, 20ga) Injector plug positive (B+)
INJ- (DR1) (Tan, 20ga) Injector plug negative (driver 1)
INJ- (DR2) (Tan/Black, 20ga) Injector plug negative (driver 2)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 04:34 PM   #8
Alturiak
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alturiak View Post
Nice, I was just looking at that style adapter last night. Great minds think alike! Did you run yours to PT1 as well? I'm under the impression PT1 is for the boost pressure and PT2 is for the reference (atmosphere) pressure.

So I believe I have all the connections mapped out, and want to run them by you in case I've missed something or misunderstood something. Most of this is from talking with Split Second for the proper inputs to use, but so far I have this:

BATT+ (Red, 18ga) wire to 12V switched large red wire in black connector at back of DME box
SIG GND (Black/Yellow, 20ga) ECU signal ground wire to TMAP ground (black/yellow wire, opposite postion of yellow signal wire)
TACH (Yellow/Black, 20ga) engine speed signal wire to Dark Gray/Black wire in DME box (small textured wire that extends through DME box)
VIN (Green, 20ga) external voltage input wire to TMAP sensor signal wire (yellow wire on sensor harness, opposite black/yellow ground connection)

NOT USED:
INJ- (DR2) (Tan/Black, 20ga) Injector plug negative (driver 2)
Just got word from Split Second about the pressure connections. You are to use either the 5V signal from the TMAP sensor OR a pressure signal from the charge pipe. I asked him which is better and he recommended going with the charge pipe pressure signal hooked up to PT1. I'd also prefer this as it's one less electrical connection and Posi-Tap that I have to worry about. That being said, the wiring setup is changed as follows:

NOT USED:
VIN (Green, 20ga) external voltage input
INJ- (DR2) (Tan/Black, 20ga) Injector plug negative (driver 2)[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 11:39 AM   #9
Alturiak
Private First Class
Rep

Just a quick update, the AIC2-P is up and running. I hooked it up as detailed in my previous post, but used boost reference from the intake manifold and not the chargepipe since that is more accurate. If anyone has any questions on this install or setup I'd be happy to answer
Appreciate 1
JPuehl101.00
      08-01-2021, 12:33 PM   #10
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Nice. Any logs?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 10:52 AM   #11
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
Just a quick update, the AIC2-P is up and running. I hooked it up as detailed in my previous post, but used boost reference from the intake manifold and not the chargepipe since that is more accurate. If anyone has any questions on this install or setup I'd be happy to answer
The reason the boost from the intake manifold is superior is due to the throttle plate being used as part of boost control.

At times, the throttle plate can be open only 30% under WOT if your boost continues to exceed target.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2021, 08:37 AM   #12
Vrusso335
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i

I’m about to install the aic2-v and was hoping you could shoot me a pin out and what wires I don’t need to use to get it up and running
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 12:24 AM   #13
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
How many lbs of boost were you able to get out of the set up? I am assuming you went with a custom tune of course. Let me know! Nice work.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0