E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Speedometer stopped working

03-01-2023, 06:58 AM   #1
jett_323
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 323i E92 Coupe 2007

Garage List
2007 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Angry Speedometer stopped working

Hey Guys, I have a 2007 BMW 323i Coupe.

I have only purchased this vehicle recently, and upon the first drive of the vehicle I realised the speedometer is not working. For some reason I didn't bother paying attention to the instrument cluster and am only just recognising this now.

The rest of the instrument cluster is working just fine; the RPM, petrol and temperate gauges as well as the Indicator and warning lamps and amber screen.

Recently I installed a HIKEIT–XS throttle controller and have become paranoid that this could have caused the issue?

I also want to note that I have a yellow ABS light and airbag light which continuously flash on the amber screen. – Also when I put into reverse a PDC malfunction light appears.

I used the 'hidden' menu to conduct an instrument cluster test and all the needles move fine – including the speedometer – but it is only unresponsive when actually driving and remains dead.

Are their any known 'quick fixes' – I am yet to get the cars codes read.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 10:29 PM   #2
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i N54

Hey man, could be a wheel speed sensor issue considering that you have an abs light. Doubt it'll be a quick fix without first getting to the bottom of it, and sounds like you have other issues that can also be identified with an obd2 scanner.

While the throttle controllers shouldn't cause these sorts of issues, I'd suggest you bin it as they are all junk IMO, they simply make the car feel quicker by giving you 100% throttle earlier on in the pedal. That effectively lowers the resolution of the throttle pedal and gives you less control in that regard.
6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 05:18 AM   #3
jett_323
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 323i E92 Coupe 2007

Garage List
2007 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzx_andy View Post
Hey man, could be a wheel speed sensor issue considering that you have an abs light. Doubt it'll be a quick fix without first getting to the bottom of it, and sounds like you have other issues that can also be identified with an obd2 scanner.

While the throttle controllers shouldn't cause these sorts of issues, I'd suggest you bin it as they are all junk IMO, they simply make the car feel quicker by giving you 100% throttle earlier on in the pedal. That effectively lowers the resolution of the throttle pedal and gives you less control in that regard.
Yep – I think I am going to have to wait until I can get my hands on my mates obd2 scanner.

I removed the throttle controller and the speedometer didn't come back – so I am going to assume that it didn't do anything.

I also changed all my ABS sensors, does some initiation or reset process have to occur for the car to recognise them?

Thanks
Appreciate 0