E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Tam's 330d Touring

04-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #45
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneShoelaces View Post
Just read through all this, interesting stuff and I need to order some bump stops and shocks. I have a frankenstein setup on my wagon. Still running Bilstein B6 Xi front struts on a rwd converted car, with 335i rear springs and B6 shocks. My car is a hot mess with some clunks in the rear, crashing over potholes and the rear end and seems to pogo bounce some if I get the bounce right.

I ordered some B4 front struts and I need to get some B4 rear shocks. I was going to put it together with the 335 sedan front springs and I haven't decided which rear spri3gs to run. My wagon came with sport suspension, so I have those springs or the s35 edan springs , Ican't remember the numbers atm. The pano roof and heavy towbar hanging behind the rear axle makes me wonder if I should run the wagon springs?
I bet it’s your subframe mounts - are they stock? With stiff shocks they easily become the pogo point. Fill them. It’s an easy job with inserts.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 07:32 PM   #46
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppointer View Post
Regarding your current rear end issues (nothing personal!), I am wondering if those B6's are worn out. Your car should not pogo or crash over potholes even when loaded up.

I would go with the wagon m-sport springs all around. I know other x-drive owners have lowered their cars, so this should not be an issue for you, especially since you have converted to RWD.

I just put a set of B4's on my '09 e91 RWD before I gave it to a daughter. My e91 has the sport suspension. I can dig out my Bilstein part numbers if you want to compare.

Sorry I do not have the spring part numbers, but mine are original sport suspension springs. I chose to re-use rather than replace because none were broken.
They didn't seem worn out, only have about 10k on them. They came on mounted on the car and I found the previous owner who mentioned that they were pretty new. It's possible I put a washer on wrong when I had the shocks all apart, and Bilstien instructions weren't great on them. I bought a set of new B4s struts that are for sport springs, started putting them together the other night on the 335 front springs as my wagon front springs are for the Xi struts and I don't have any wagon rwd springs. I'll leave the B6 Xi struts all assembled and sell them with the rear shocks for whatever they're worth.

Butttt....since I'm a sucker for punishment, I came across a set of BC coilovers take offs for super cheap because a front right is missing due to an accident. I grabbed them and BC is based here in Central Florida so I can get a replacement front. So my frankenstein Xi on rwd setup is coming off for a frankenstein mish mash of B4 front struts and coilovers in the rear while I get the front struts. I paid for the BC's only a little more than what it would have cost for two rear B4's to match the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
I bet it’s your subframe mounts - are they stock? With stiff shocks they easily become the pogo point. Fill them. It’s an easy job with inserts.
When I had the rear subframe dropped I pumped the mounts which were in good shape, full of 3M window weld that I used on the front motor mounts when I replaced them. It was recommended to go solid mounts but budget talked at the time and I was throwing money at the engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 08:19 AM   #47
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Ok, ok, ok. Let’s hear it. What are your final thoughts on this?

Sry to see about the spring failure. Never fun!

Wish I’d have caught this earlier so I could have goaded, errr ‘helped’ you into springing (pun intended) for some Koni yellows!

Maybe next time.

Would love to know your final ride heights. Also spring rates on the T4? I’d like to compare them to my 335i sport fronts. I haven’t measured my car since my sister took it over but to my eye the rear has seemed to settle more than the front. If the front were down 20mm it would look much better.
Well, I've made more changes since my last update - mainly adding a lot of ball joints to the rear end, and sports seats. But overall I'm pleased with how the car handles now. I think the springs are pretty good front and rear - I wouldn't want to go any stiffer at the front in particular, and I think the rear matches it well. The handling is way sharper (well, less dull), and balance of grip is nice. It still understeers if you're lazy, but even just backing off the throttle is enough to get the front end to dig in. It's nice. And still absolutely fine on motorway miles.

I was running it with a string line alignment for about 6 months, and eventually took it to a trusted shop for geo. They evened up the front camber a lot, and tweaked the other factors a little. I mainly notice it's a notch less twitchy in the steering response now, which is grand for the motorway.

Adding a heap of ball joints and firmer springs in the front has brought in a bit more road noise, but it's still blissful silence compared with my partner's 2011 Skoda.

So the T4 front springs I think are great for my car (similar nose weight to a 335i), and the added front camber is enough to compensate for the corresponding reduction in mechanical grip. These pared with stock rate (e91) rear springs feels good to me. I see no reason to go for stiffer rear springs as per the BMWP setup. I have got 10mm thick camber fix plates in with them, so I guess my ride height is similar to stock M-sport? I have the measurements somewhere.

As for the bump stops/aux springs...honestly I can't tell how they factor into it. They seem to be working as I hoped though, so no complaints here.

I wish I had the funds for a shock/strut upgrade to go with all this, but I sadly don't, and won't any time soon with house purchase on the horizon. I don't know if it's the Special Active shocks (which I've rather gone off), or the cumulative effect of all the ball joints and M3 bushings I've added, but grip is lost quite rapidly on rough pavement, and holes/bumps are pretty harsh. Not night/day with stock, but certainly not better. Maybe the bump stops do want to be shorter? My butt dyno doesn't have the skills to have a clue.

One thing that's really bugging me is that there seems to be something loose in the rear suspension, or something; there's a dull rattle as if I have a worn ball joint, but everything there has been replaced in the last year (except shock mounts but they're only 2y old). And I can't find anything loose. It's been doing it for a few 000 miles now without significant change/degradation. It doesn't feel like anything is loose when driving. I doubt it's brake pads rattling or anything like that - not metallic enough. Any suggestions welcome.

Will dig out the numbers in a min...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 08:26 AM   #48
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Ride height. 18" wheels and about a half tank, no driver:
Rear 588/593mm
Front 594/595mm

T4 springs are about 200lb/in, by my calcs. I got D7/8 as 143lb/in. So a lot stiffer, but a lot shorter (275 vs 328mm). I can actually lift the hub very slightly with the suspension at full droop, there's that little preload. I suppose they may be intended for slightly shorter struts.
Appreciate 1
tlow982171.50
      04-15-2022, 10:13 AM   #49
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post

One thing that's really bugging me is that there seems to be something loose in the rear suspension, or something; there's a dull rattle as if I have a worn ball joint, but everything there has been replaced in the last year (except shock mounts but they're only 2y old). And I can't find anything loose. It's been doing it for a few 000 miles now without significant change/degradation. It doesn't feel like anything is loose when driving. I doubt it's brake pads rattling or anything like that - not metallic enough. Any suggestions welcome.

Will dig out the numbers in a min...
I've got some clunk and rattle with my B6 rear suspension on my wagon when I put it on, somehow slightly incorrectly I assume. I haven't figured out what it is though as everything seems tight. It's all coming off soon though. I have B4 struts going on the front with factory 335 sport springs, and BC coilovers with 12k springs going on the rear. More guess and test for me but at least I'll have the Xi struts off the front of my rwd car and can baseline.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 05:36 AM   #50
Peter Morrin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90(sedan) 328xi

Diesel enquires

Tam, I brought this over from Biginboca's thread. While I work through improvements on my 328xi petrol E90 salon, I am looking ahead to eventually getting a similar vehicle with the 330d engine.

My ideal configuration would be a wagon, 6 sp manual, xi with the 330 M57 engine, LHD. I think this puts me at a 2007-2009, and would mean purchasing it in Europe and shipping it back to Canada. I would accept a salon instead of the wagon, but the other items are essential.

What year is your wagon? Is it auto or manual? Is it RWD or xi. Is the diesel engine an M57 or N57?

Form your thread, you advised that the diesel engine was approximately equal in weight to the turbo 3.0 litre 6 in the 335. Is the back of the wagon any heavier than the diesel sedan? Is the engine the only thing that makes the diesel heavier than the petrol equivalent? I can find total weight differences between cars, but not axle weight differences.

My intent is to build knowledge and possibly parts from the petrol car that will be transfered to the diesel.

Thanks,
Peter
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 08:44 AM   #51
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morrin View Post
Tam, I brought this over from Biginboca's thread. While I work through improvements on my 328xi petrol E90 salon, I am looking ahead to eventually getting a similar vehicle with the 330d engine.

My ideal configuration would be a wagon, 6 sp manual, xi with the 330 M57 engine, LHD. I think this puts me at a 2007-2009, and would mean purchasing it in Europe and shipping it back to Canada. I would accept a salon instead of the wagon, but the other items are essential.

What year is your wagon? Is it auto or manual? Is it RWD or xi. Is the diesel engine an M57 or N57?

Form your thread, you advised that the diesel engine was approximately equal in weight to the turbo 3.0 litre 6 in the 335. Is the back of the wagon any heavier than the diesel sedan? Is the engine the only thing that makes the diesel heavier than the petrol equivalent? I can find total weight differences between cars, but not axle weight differences.

My intent is to build knowledge and possibly parts from the petrol car that will be transfered to the diesel.

Thanks,
Peter
Mine is a mid-2007 manual RWD, which has the M57TU2 engine (aluminium block, 335d injectors).

The wagon rear is something like 60kg heavier than an equivalent sedan. I think the official figure is in this thread somewhere. I have a specs document somewhere that has axle weights for the sedans...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10-BXtGMhiC3XyHlTdEfK48ckDHXfAqWb/view?usp=drivesdk
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 08:59 AM   #52
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:

Thanks,
Peter

Stick with the M57D30 that's available in Canada. Grab a LCI e91, tranny from the 330d across the pond and a donar 335d/X5d here for the engine and everything else.

This has already been done a few times, FYI.
      07-04-2022, 09:08 PM   #53
Peter Morrin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Making a Canadian Diesel Manual Xdrive Wagon

Ok, So were 335d avialable in Canada in xdrive configuration? Were they available in a wagon? I don't think any were available with a Manual transmission. How difficult is a Auto to Manual swap with the diesel engine?

I was advised to stick with the M57 engine rather than the N57. Is this good advice? When did the engines change over in Canada?

Is there any reason I could not use a manual transmission from a RHD vehicle from the UK. I have a buddy there who could possibly help source one. Alternatively are there known breakers who could put together a package and freight it to me?

Intriguing idea.

Peter
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 09:37 PM   #54
M3_Legend
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 & E91

Great stuff!! Love wagons
2008 E90 335I 6 Speed Black Sapphire M-sport sold
2006 E53 X5 Black Sapphire sold
2011 E91 Silver Automatic sold
2006 E91 Silver Automatic sold
2007 E91 Black sapphire 6 Speed Manuel current
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2022, 01:34 AM   #55
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ok, So were 335d avialable in Canada in xdrive configuration? Were they available in a wagon? I don't think any were available with a Manual transmission. How difficult is a Auto to Manual swap with the diesel engine?

I was advised to stick with the M57 engine rather than the N57. Is this good advice? When did the engines change over in Canada?

Is there any reason I could not use a manual transmission from a RHD vehicle from the UK. I have a buddy there who could possibly help source one. Alternatively are there known breakers who could put together a package and freight it to me?

Intriguing idea.

Peter
The N57 was never used for the 335d, I believe. And you're right, no 35d manuals. The swap isn't crazy, but it is fairly involved from what I've read. I think the biggest challenges are transmission mounts because the tunnels are different, and electronics/programming. I don't think there is any difference between LHD and RHD transmissions. Try contacting eBay sellers about shipping to Canada.

The M57 is generally more reliable than the N57, but not by much really. And in 30d trim the N57 makes 10hp more and better economy.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 10:07 AM   #56
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:

Intriguing idea.

Peter
No wagons, or xdrives or manuals. ZF 6spds.. RWD in the 3 series, AWD in the E70. And yes you want a M57 over the N57.

Like I said, people have done manual swaps utilizing the manual transmission from the 330d available across the pond.

You need to spend some time researching, all this has been documented and done before.
      07-05-2022, 10:55 AM   #57
Peter Morrin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

E91 Diesel for Canada

Canadian import laws only go back 15 years whereas the States are 25. This allows free importation of vehicles from 2007 on and no control over whether they were orginally sold here.

This makes a european e91 330d very interesting. They obviously came with a 6 speed, do you know if they came in xi configuration? If I could not get a wagon (estate/break) I would go for a sedan provided it met the other criteria.

Are there many 330d on the road in the UK?

Many thanks,
Peter
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 01:03 PM   #58
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Not a huge number of 330d here; the vast majority are 320d. But they're certainly not rare either. There are plenty at breakers yards and a fair number in any body shape being sold at any time.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 08:02 AM   #59
Peter Morrin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Diesel xdrive wagons

Given that the configuration of vehicle I want (E91, Diesel, xdrive, 6 sp manual) was not imported into North America, but was available in Europe (although rare), I think I will start looking into those options. I think I have seen some in Portugal and Spain in that configuration, or at least in the E90 sedan version.

If I had to swap in one of the above component systems, is it easiest to convert from auto to manual versus rwd to xdrive?

Inxguy is correct that I need to do more research on this subject, but if I can buy a car assembled from the factory in the configuration I want, I feel that would be a better starting point than going the swap route. Other benefits include less corrosion issues with body and suspension components and availability of EU speced options which might be desireble.

Inxguy, do you know of any components on the EU diesels that would make them difficult to maintain here in Canada or are the "world" engines?

Peter

Peter
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 11:01 AM   #60
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

I'd say easier to do a manual conversion rather than XD, but honestly not sure.
Appreciate 0