E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear Differential Bushings----A call to all vendors!!!!

08-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #67
jeep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i,18 M4,19 530e,08 e70

Have to replace front lower control arm bushings and differential mount. I don't want any increased noise but I want better control and traction. I will appreciate suggestions. Also appreciate ballpark costs for the work. I am getting quotes for about $1300 including $185 for alignment.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #68
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep View Post
Have to replace front lower control arm bushings and differential mount. I don't want any increased noise but I want better control and traction. I will appreciate suggestions. Also appreciate ballpark costs for the work. I am getting quotes for about $1300 including $185 for alignment.

Thanks
First off, if you want increased control and traction and are going to replace the differential bushings, there will be a trade off, as any differential bushings you install to increase traction and control will have some level of increase in the NVH. With regard to the differential bushings, in a five month period, I went from OEM to polyurethane, to the MFactory differntial bushings, and I am very pleased with the MFactory differential bushings. There is a slight noise increase but no where near what the polyurethane bushings had. Alternatively, you could install the two M3 front differential bushings, but the M3 rear differential bushing will not fit. Also, if you want to really improve the handling, I would install the M3 front control arms. I just had this done, along with the M3 28 mm FSB and the improvement in the way the car handles is significant.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #69
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:

Thanks
I suggest differential lock down kit. Cheap and to install, as difficult as an oil change. Insignificant increase in NVH but eliminates wheel hope and preserve the drivetrain.
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      08-23-2015, 02:36 AM   #70
jeep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i,18 M4,19 530e,08 e70

Thanks folks, I am leaning towards the M3 bushings as well. For the front control arms can I just replace the current bushings with M3 or will have to replace the control arms?

Any ballpark estimates for the work?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #71
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Thanks folks, I am leaning towards the M3 bushings as well. For the front control arms can I just replace the current bushings with M3 or will have to replace the control arms?

Any ballpark estimates for the work?

Thanks
the M3 LCA are longer so you want to replace the hole unit so the added camber.
Replacing the bushings will only increase the labor cost.
No offence but I honestly find doing that dumb because the ball joint on the opposite end will remain old.
FCPEurp sells the complete kit for $330/shipped including the leveler rod.
Labor cost: probably around 2h + alignment
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 01:59 AM   #72
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Droze View Post
First off, if you want increased control and traction and are going to replace the differential bushings, there will be a trade off, as any differential bushings you install to increase traction and control will have some level of increase in the NVH. With regard to the differential bushings, in a five month period, I went from OEM to polyurethane, to the MFactory differntial bushings, and I am very pleased with the MFactory differential bushings. There is a slight noise increase but no where near what the polyurethane bushings had. Alternatively, you could install the two M3 front differential bushings, but the M3 rear differential bushing will not fit. Also, if you want to really improve the handling, I would install the M3 front control arms. I just had this done, along with the M3 28 mm FSB and the improvement in the way the car handles is significant.
Whats the process of installing differential bushings? Is it easier than subframe bushings? (Like not having to drop rear subframe and press them in)
Been looking at the mfactory diff, there a great price but not sure if I'll benefit much from them
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 12:06 AM   #73
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
It doesn't make sense that it would be rpm based (unless you mean 3krpm in 6th gear or some other certain gear) because the differential gradually increases speed as the car does; everytime you shift and cross 3krpm there's no reason for differential noise unless it's some vibration coming through the driveline that is amplified by the stiff(er) differential mounting.

Can you clarify?
It's not a vibration, but a kind of humming/light drone sound which is most perceptible around 2500-3500 rpm with a peak at 3k. It's especially noticable when I let off throttle in that range.
I noticed the same thing except it happened after I put in delrin/aluminum rear subframe bushings (not diff bushings)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #74
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazi3azn View Post
Whats the process of installing differential bushings? Is it easier than subframe bushings? (Like not having to drop rear subframe and press them in)
Been looking at the mfactory diff, there a great price but not sure if I'll benefit much from them
You just need to drop the diff, and depending on the bushing (I have Black Powerflex) you'll have to press out the old ones and the new ones just slide in. It's nice with Powerflex it's a 2 piece
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 09:36 PM   #75
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Droze
Quote:

Thanks
Can I ask how sure you are that the rear mount isn't interchangeable between a 135i and M3? I have a rear M3 subframe and LSD and I want to get the MFactory solid diff mounts but I'm hearing conflicting opinions.
      10-05-2015, 11:08 PM   #76
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Can I ask how sure you are that the rear mount isn't interchangeable between a 135i and M3? I have a rear M3 subframe and LSD and I want to get the MFactory solid diff mounts but I'm hearing conflicting opinions.
Given my experience, I cannot tell you for 100 percent fact certain the M3 RDB will not fit non M3 cars. Three different vendors including MFactory have indicated the M3 RDB will not fit non M3 cars. As to why it won't fit I don't know, but please keep in mind I never had a real reason to chase an answer. You could order an OEM RDB for your car and an OEM M3 RDB and compare the two. It would only cost about $50 to do so and I suppose after the comparison is done you could return them. This might be the best way to get the answer you need.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 12:16 AM   #77
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS
I have M3 subs and Turner delrin diff bushings in my car. What do you guys want to know specifically? I get deceleration whine at about 3k rpms, but it is only audible with the radio turned off.
I have the exact same experience
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 12:36 AM   #78
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer
Quote:

Thanks
I suggest differential lock down kit. Cheap and to install, as difficult as an oil change. Insignificant increase in NVH but eliminates wheel hope and preserve the drivetrain.
Just bought one from Boost Addictions for my 335d. Seems like a simple and effective solution. Looking forward to getting it (made them paint it red...don't know why I want red on suspension bits I will never see) installed soon along with Ohlin coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #79
Tom Droze
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
Just bought one from Boost Addictions for my 335d. Seems like a simple and effective solution. Looking forward to getting it (made them paint it red...don't know why I want red on suspension bits I will never see) installed soon along with Ohlin coilovers.
I inquired about this brace in the N/A section and pretty much got roasted for even asking the question, as "people in the know" thought it was a waste of money. It seems like a simple solution that can be easily installed and removed if necessary. After the install, I would be intereted in knowing your thoughts on the brace.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #80
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Droze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
I inquired about this brace in the N/A section and pretty much got roasted for even asking the question, as "people in the know" thought it was a waste of money. It seems like a simple solution that can be easily installed and removed if necessary. After the install, I would be intereted in knowing your thoughts on the brace.
hmmmm....that is a bummer to hear....seems like a decent incremental step. That said I would not describe myself as "in the know".
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #81
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
I have M3 subs and Turner delrin diff bushings in my car. What do you guys want to know specifically? I get deceleration whine at about 3k rpms, but it is only audible with the radio turned off.
Do you have the turner M3 delrin/aluminium diff mounts installed into a stock 335i pumpkin and rear subframe? Maybe I'm not looking close enough but Turner seem to only sell the M3 version, not non-M3 versions.
      10-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #82
dbworld4k
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I have MFactory differential bushings and there's no increase in NVH whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #83
Ohiodiesel
Mens Sana In Corpore Sano
Rep
Drives: E90 335D-F15 X5 35D-Mk6 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Did you ever try to swap the rear bushing for the M3 solid one?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 02:20 AM   #84
Traf
First Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

The two front diff mounts are the same.
The rear is different, it is longer in the M3
I mounted a M3 LSD in my 135i using 135i/335i diff mounts, so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #85
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
I have MFactory differential bushings and there's no increase in NVH whatsoever.
Can you please elaborate on the type of bushing you used? There is a super fancy lockdown kit that has aluminum bushings that go with it for $700. I'm not going to buy that kit but I may piece together a kit that accomplishes same thing. I have a VWetish lock down kit coming in the mail that puts a 4th bushing into play. I placed a picture of it in my LSD DIY thread. Investigating whether Togo with all 7 in aluminum (4 are subframe and 3 diff ) + the lockdown which also aluminum.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 08:46 PM   #86
Go Horns!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
I have the exact opposite results. I have a pronounced differential whine. I have an MFactory LSD and Turner aluminum subframe bushings as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #87
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Horns! View Post
I have the exact opposite results. I have a pronounced differential whine. I have an MFactory LSD and Turner aluminum subframe bushings as well.
I have whine as well with aluminum subframe bushings and mfactory bushings. I am going to try a different differential.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 10:00 PM   #88
Go Horns!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

I'm going to swap back in the OEM diff bushings and try 75/140 fluid.
Appreciate 0