E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 3 stage manifold engine tick

02-12-2022, 09:44 PM   #1
ram1boyz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90 328i

Hello everyone,

I just swapped my intake manifold on my n52 to a 3 stage manifold. After I started it for the first time I heard what sounded like an engine tick. It sounds like it's coming from under the valve cover. There is no way I dropped anything in there because I was very careful and plugged them with a microfiber when I took the old one out. Also, as I accelerate, the sound gets louder. I was thinking maybe something with my throttle body? I'm stumped on what it could be, let me know if you guys have ever had a similar issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 08:14 AM   #2
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1boyz View Post
Hello everyone,

I just swapped my intake manifold on my n52 to a 3 stage manifold. After I started it for the first time I heard what sounded like an engine tick. It sounds like it's coming from under the valve cover. There is no way I dropped anything in there because I was very careful and plugged them with a microfiber when I took the old one out. Also, as I accelerate, the sound gets louder. I was thinking maybe something with my throttle body? I'm stumped on what it could be, let me know if you guys have ever had a similar issue.
Did you check the Visa valves for damage and function before you installed the 3IM manifold?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 03:47 PM   #3
ram1boyz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1boyz View Post
Hello everyone,

Did you check the Visa valves for damage and function before you installed the 3IM manifold?
Yes I did. Disa valves were working great and I can hear them open and close every time I turn my ignition on. The sound seemed to actually die off after a while. I went on the scanner and reset a few things and it seemed to help
Appreciate 0