E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 Dual Cone Intake

03-17-2022, 01:57 AM   #1
ryanwho82
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

N54 Dual Cone Intake

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a Dual Cone Intake for my car. Seems like the BMS DCI is pretty good but I can't seem to find anyone having them in stock here in the UK. Any ideas?
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2022, 02:31 AM   #2
witty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i M-Sport

get ebay dci, they are abundant and not much different from bms dci. Youll def find them in UK or anyone who ships internationally.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2022, 02:32 AM   #3
g.abrams
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwho82 View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a Dual Cone Intake for my car. Seems like the BMS DCI is pretty good but I can't seem to find anyone having them in stock here in the UK. Any ideas?
I've got mine from ML Performance previously, maybe you can check them out?
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2022, 09:49 AM   #4
ryanwho82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesu View Post
get ebay dci, they are abundant and not much different from bms dci. Youll def find them in UK or anyone who ships internationally.
Thanks! I've checked eBay and seems like there are a few options but the brands are not well known tho, do you possibly know if they're any good?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 09:51 AM   #5
ryanwho82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.abrams View Post
I've went and ask but it seems like they've stopped carrying BMS products

They offered the Masata ones as an alternative tho, anyone heard about them before?
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2022, 02:09 PM   #6
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Quote:

They offered the Masata ones as an alternative tho, anyone heard about them before?
Honesty the dci intake is such a basic setup, the brand does not really matter. It's two cones and 2 tiny pieces of piping. The cones just rest on each other in the engine bay. I had the bms dci on my car for a while and went back to the stock box for several reasons.
If I were to get an intake again I would get a proper set up. (Afe, the AEM box, stett etc)
      03-17-2022, 02:25 PM   #7
witty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Thanks! I've checked eBay and seems like there are a few options but the brands are not well known tho, do you possibly know if they're any good?
Not much of a difference between any of them, most of them are just a pipe and a filter. Any of them will do fine.. DCI arent known for much power (mostly sound). They aren't much different than a stock airbox, its better if you got for ex. a cai from injen or something enclosed.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 02:30 PM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Yeah I'd go with BMS to personally. It is basic but previously I read some brands/no names had poor quality filters or things like that and they crumbled. But that was long ago so.

No point in getting a expensive intake either unless you want it for looks really. Performance wise intake gains are marginal even from stock airbox. It's really just to get more air in at one point and well wooshy noises are cool to. No need of CAI when you have a intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 03:56 PM   #9
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Yeah I'd go with BMS to personally. It is basic but previously I read some brands/no names had poor quality filters or things like that and they crumbled. But that was long ago so.

No point in getting a expensive intake either unless you want it for looks really. Performance wise intake gains are marginal even from stock airbox. It's really just to get more air in at one point and well wooshy noises are cool to. No need of CAI when you have a intercooler.
The Intercooler is not a substitute for a Intake.

Ideally you want a closed intake which doesn't get heak soaked from engine bay heat.

Saying that, don't bother spending several hundred on any intake. Just get Inlets and leave the stock airbox and put a high flow filter in.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2022, 04:31 PM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
The Intercooler is not a substitute for a Intake.

Ideally you want a closed intake which doesn't get heak soaked from engine bay heat.

Saying that, don't bother spending several hundred on any intake. Just get Inlets and leave the stock airbox and put a high flow filter in.
Yeah but really it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. You won't heat soak when driving if you do your intercooler is trash and needs an upgrade.

But yeah depends what OP is going for if the usual MHD stage2+ 100% I'd go with BMS intake.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 05:28 PM   #11
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah but really it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. You won't heat soak when driving if you do your intercooler is trash and needs an upgrade.

But yeah depends what OP is going for if the usual MHD stage2+ 100% I'd go with BMS intake.
The Intake is what I was referring to, not the FMIC , engine bay gets hot as everyone knows, DCI will draw in cold air at beginning and as engine bay gets hot, start drawing in hot air and yes FMIC will cool it down but your making its job harder by feeding it hotter air.

Aside from sound the DCI won't give any meaning performance boost. OP is better of spending money on Inlets for a significant performance boost.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 05:59 PM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
The Intake is what I was referring to, not the FMIC , engine bay gets hot as everyone knows, DCI will draw in cold air at beginning and as engine bay gets hot, start drawing in hot air and yes FMIC will cool it down but your making its job harder by feeding it hotter air.

Aside from sound the DCI won't give any meaning performance boost. OP is better of spending money on Inlets for a significant performance boost.
Haha yes I know that. Let me rewrite basically even if you intake hot air or cold air it goes through the turbo which heats it even more or as much as it becomes compressed and then gets cooled in the intercooler the same. That's why I say in the grand scheme, it doesn't really matter. Your hot air becomes even hotter. So if your intercooler is impossible to cool down air and heat soaks even when driving, that means the intercooler you have is not upgraded enough.

I concur inlets are great if you are going all in and custom tune. Assuming MHD stage2+ inlets do nothing though.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2022, 01:15 AM   #13
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Haha yes I know that. Let me rewrite basically even if you intake hot air or cold air it goes through the turbo which heats it even more or as much as it becomes compressed and then gets cooled in the intercooler the same. That's why I say in the grand scheme, it doesn't really matter. Your hot air becomes even hotter. So if your intercooler is impossible to cool down air and heat soaks even when driving, that means the intercooler you have is not upgraded enough.

I concur inlets are great if you are going all in and custom tune. Assuming MHD stage2+ inlets do nothing though.
I spoke to mechanics who said DCI will just draw in hot air from engine bay, i have to agree after opening the bonnet and feeling the hot air in the engine bay, this is compounded by the fact that N54 gets hotter than most other engines. even though the filters are open, you'd think they draw in more air but it's less dense (hotter) whereas closed box will draw in cooler air.

Inlets will likely require a custom tune, the stock inlets are a restriction, if you have seen them, they literally squashed flat, Miniscule gain if any from DCI.

Short answer, if you are looking for performance, DCI are waste of money, far better going for Inlets and tune.

Last edited by Saif2018; 04-04-2022 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2022, 04:31 AM   #14
g.abrams
Rep

Quote:

Oh yeah, I've got the Masata charge pipe fitted and quality is pretty good. Didn't know that Masata does intakes though?

But yeah, I got the BMS DCI mainly for the sound. I mean, it's an inexpensive way to get better sound so why not Intakes doesn't make much difference in terms of performance anyways, unless you get some other mods along with it, but sound is great!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 04:40 AM   #15
g.abrams
Rep

Quote:

I've heard that inlets don't do much unless you have other mods on too. But what mods will be good to complement the set up though? Will it only make a difference with upgraded turbos?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 08:04 AM   #16
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I've heard that inlets don't do much unless you have other mods on too. But what mods will be good to complement the set up though? Will it only make a difference with upgraded turbos?
It's up to you really but IMO it's not worth inlets for stockers. Yeah you could run a custom tune with stock turbos and inlets but the gains you get from that are minimal VS the effort and money you spend. If you upgrade turbos then I agree it's a good idea to do.

I'm not sure what your power goals are?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 08:40 AM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
+1 for BMS dual cone intakes

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 09:03 AM   #18
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Inlets do make a significant difference but they require a custom tune to get the most out of them. With upgrades turbos it becomes mandatory. The difference will be bigger on upgraded turbos for sure.

DCI will give virtually zero noticeable performance improvement, so expectations should be in check

Last edited by Saif2018; 03-18-2022 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 04:10 AM   #19
ryanwho82
Rep

Quote:

Thanks guys, Yeah that's what I thought about too, since there isn't much difference in performance, I thought that maybe could just get the DCI for the extra sound since it isn't too expensive.

I went ahead and ordered the Masata ones since the guys at ML Performance said I can return if I change my mind. Hopefully quality is okay. Will update soon when I receive them.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 05:58 AM   #20
ryanwho82
Rep

Hey guys, just thought I'd share. Here are some pics of the DCI intake from Masata. Haven't got the chance to fit them but the quality looks pretty decent. Decided to keep them so hopefully the sound will be as good as it looks!!!

Name:  202204041.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  86.6 KB
Name:  202204042.JPG
Views: 794
Size:  526.1 KB
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2022, 09:13 AM   #21
Juz5i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2 F87  [0.00]
They look nice, mate! Keep us updated with some piccies and a little review once fitted as I’m pondering these myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 08:10 AM   #22
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i. 2011 E90 328xi

The DCI filters are basically the same. ALL made in CHINA and and sold by a different distributor. Just buy a set thats in stock.
Appreciate 0