E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > B-pillar / Frame damage? Keep looking or good deal?

02-19-2024, 06:22 PM   #1
Korndog
Registered
Rep
Drives: N/A

B-pillar / Frame damage? Keep looking or good deal?

View post on imgur.com

Hate for my first post to be asking for help. Regardless, I've been looking for a 335d on auction for a while now and this one looks great. Damage on the front isn't to bad, new hood, fender, bumper, head light... the typical. However this car also has some damage on the side, I'm assuming from a sign.

So my question is do you think this car has a bent B-pillar from the crash? I'm not to worried about the side skirt being damaged, it has frame behind it that was bent, yes. But from what I researched it shouldn't effect driving, I think.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Korndog; 02-19-2024 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Photo not showing up.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 06:45 PM   #2
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korndog View Post
View post on imgur.com

Hate for my first post to be asking for help. Regardless, I've been looking for a 335d on auction for a while now and this one looks great. Damage on the front isn't to bad, new hood, fender, bumper, head light... the typical. However this car also has some damage on the side, I'm assuming from a sign.

So my question is do you think this car has a bent B-pillar from the crash? I'm not to worried about the side skirt being damaged, it has frame behind it that was bent, yes. But from what I researched it shouldn't effect driving, I think.

Thanks in advance.
It sounds like you're a betting person! Full M Sport, or just the wheels?
The roofline looks clean, so maybe okay? A lot of energy went into deforming that door though. Also looks like the side curtain airbag went off, so be sure to factor that into your decision and costs.

Last edited by StradaRedlands; 02-19-2024 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2024, 06:59 PM   #3
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Run Forest Run
Appreciate 4
eljay1443.50
PhaceN52173.50
      02-19-2024, 07:02 PM   #4
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

The B pillar may be OK, but the door hinges on it are likely bent/torn. But I think that's not the worst problem here.
I would bet that the frame under that skirt is bent.
Take a look at my E91 thread where I install the side skirts and you can see that the skirt clips into the body only about 1" in from the door skin line:
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30795047

On that picture, the bend looks to be farther in than that and the fact that the skirt didn't crack or pop out suggest that the clips are likely still engaged on it and the frame bent in and homding the crease in the skirt with it.

I think this is a part donor, not a rebuilder car.

And one more comment on the "shouldn't affect driving"... it does. Once a structural part has been compromised, its job is done. It saved the first accident occupants. It will not save the next crew if it gets hit in a similar spot. I wouldn't put my family in such a car.
Appreciate 3
      02-19-2024, 07:08 PM   #5
Korndog
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
It sounds like you're a betting person! Full M Sport, or just the wheels?
The roofline looks clean, so maybe okay? A lot of energy went into deforming that door though. Looks like the side curtain airbag went off though, so be sure to factor that into your costs.
Sure am Yes that's a full m-sport package, wheels, suspension, aerodynamics, steering wheels, all that good stuff. Hence why I'm even considering this kind of damage, among other factors.

Side curtain airbag did indeed go off, ~$150 for a replacement, door frame+ windows is $125, skirt is $100.

Yeah, but that door really is bent eh.
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2024, 07:25 PM   #6
Korndog
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
The B pillar may be OK, but the door hinges on it are likely bent/torn. But I think that's not the worst problem here.
I would bet that the frame under that skirt is bent.
Take a look at my E91 thread where I install the side skirts and you can see that the skirt clips into the body only about 1" in from the door skin line:
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30795047

On that picture, the bend looks to be farther in than that and the fact that the skirt didn't crack or pop out suggest that the clips are likely still engaged on it and the frame bent in and homding the crease in the skirt with it.

I think this is a part donor, not a rebuilder car.

And one more comment on the "shouldn't affect driving"... it does. Once a structural part has been compromised, its job is done. It saved the first accident occupants. It will not save the next crew if it gets hit in a similar spot. I wouldn't put my family in such a car.
Here's a better picture of the skirt damage:
View post on imgur.com

I do see your point, but (now sit down for this, this might be the dumbest thing you've heard today) I don't think the frame was hit all that hard. It looks like the door took most of the impact, hence why its bent so bad, but I don't think the frame was hit hard enough to compromise its safety. Yes, if I manage to get hit same spot it wouldn't be as "safe" but I suspect it a minor dent in the frame.

Then again I'm not the one with a e90(91) so I think take your advice and keep looking, but if it goes for >2k I might just pick it up, doubtful that happens but maybe
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 07:35 PM   #7
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korndog View Post
Here's a better picture of the skirt damage:
View post on imgur.com

I do see your point, but (now sit down for this, this might be the dumbest thing you've heard today) I don't think the frame was hit all that hard. It looks like the door took most of the impact, hence why its bent so bad, but I don't think the frame was hit hard enough to compromise its safety. Yes, if I manage to get hit same spot it wouldn't be as "safe" but I suspect it a minor dent in the frame.

Then again I'm not the one with a e90(91) so I think take your advice and keep looking, but if it goes for >2k I might just pick it up, doubtful that happens but maybe
I'd want to see a picture without the skirt. I know auction won't do that.
Also, what does the front really look like?
I know you listed all the front body parts, but judging by the missing chunk of a strong OEM alloy wheel in the picture, I'd add at least a control arm or two to the list, possibly strut assembly, tie rod assembly, CV boot etc.

What's the mileage?
It may be better to buy this onecheap for parts and find a clean "regular" low mileage E90 with known service history and swap all these M Sport parts to it from this car.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 07:36 PM   #8
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
If you can get it for ~$2k, you can part out the M Sport bits for that and break even. Slap it back together with base parts and donate it to NPR. Full interior (seats, steering wheel, headliner, etc), wheels (driver front might be bent?), rear bumper, get lucky and maybe it has performance exhaust. So yeah, if you have the $$$ to drop and it doesn't go too high, take the bet and find out!
Appreciate 2
      02-19-2024, 08:44 PM   #9
Korndog
Registered
Rep

Heres a picture of the front:
View post on imgur.com

Agreed, a picture without the skirt would be nice, its possible I could go out and look at it or hire an inspector to do so, that is an option shown the site buy who knows.

Thats not a chunk of wheel missing, its just dirt. My bets are on the slid this into a chain link fence. I say this because all the damage is vertical, front and side, and the wheels looks untouched say for some dirt.

131k miles, I know its quite a bit.

In response to Strada: I guees, could part out the M Sport bits if it does end up being a dud. But at that point I feel I would be better off not buying it if that the plan, but as a back up plan maybe... assuming it goes for cheap-ish.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2024, 08:50 PM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Door sill is totally effed. You'll never get it right. Needs frame machine time at a certified body shop.
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2024, 10:52 AM   #11
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep

If you are asking then this is too big a project.

If the B-Pillar is damaged it's not just a break out a sledge hammer and put it back into place kind of repair. That is High tensile steel which is extra hard to work on. The shape of that steel the bends and folds that's what gives it strength and will be compromised. Thus replacement and rarely just bending back into place.

You are literally looking at replacing every seatbelt, every airbag, Two of the doors, a hood, bumper, side skirt, front fender.. Most likely the suspension all the way around didn't fair well. With a bad B-Pillar the car is no longer square and thus impossible to literally go down the road straight. Most of the interior will need to be removed to make the repair. The entire car will require repainting. The doors will require a lot of fine tuning and may never shut right again. Hopefully the sunroof isn't compromised. Not to mention what got pushed around and damaged in the engine bay.

But heh... it might just buff out and be an easy fix.
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2024, 11:02 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
If you are asking then this is too big a project.

If the B-Pillar is damaged it's not just a break out a sledge hammer and put it back into place kind of repair. That is High tensile steel which is extra hard to work on. The shape of that steel the bends and folds that's what gives it strength and will be compromised. Thus replacement and rarely just bending back into place.

You are literally looking at replacing every seatbelt, every airbag, Two of the doors, a hood, bumper, side skirt, front fender.. Most likely the suspension all the way around didn't fair well. With a bad B-Pillar the car is no longer square and thus impossible to literally go down the road straight. Most of the interior will need to be removed to make the repair. The entire car will require repainting. The doors will require a lot of fine tuning and may never shut right again. Hopefully the sunroof isn't compromised. Not to mention what got pushed around and damaged in the engine bay.

But heh... it might just buff out and be an easy fix.
It looks like the car hydroplaned and got off sideways on the side of the road, hence all the mud, and sided into a two-post road sign. The posts caught right behind the headlight and in the middle of the rear door. I agree with your assessment but you left out the interior cleaning of the driver's seat where the feces was left.
Appreciate 4
      02-20-2024, 11:25 AM   #13
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
It looks like the car hydroplaned and got off sideways on the side of the road, hence all the mud, and sided into a two-post road sign. The posts caught right behind the headlight and in the middle of the rear door. I agree with your assessment but you left out the interior cleaning of the driver's seat where the feces was left.

oh good catch I also forgot the claw marks on every surface, center console, door, roof. seats and more.. lol
Appreciate 1