E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Whiteline Swaybar upgrade kit

05-06-2014, 02:02 AM   #1
kOncept
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Whiteline Swaybar upgrade kit

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any experience with this kit?
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=BBK004
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 02:23 AM   #2
naynay
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2006 E92 335i FBO

reputable brand. all the honda track cars uses them
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 02:30 AM   #3
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by naynay
reputable brand. all the honda track cars uses them
Haha, don't know if that was a serious comment man. Lol

But yeah, whiteline have a decent reputation. But not much experience in our platform which should also be a consideration.

Most people (myself included) just upgrade to the M3 sways and suspension components.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 02:46 AM   #4
kOncept
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm looking at Whiteline because I have access to them at good prices and the following comparison.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-te...sway-bars.aspx

I assume Whiteline uses a 27mm "solid" section so the results should be similar to the H&R.

If the comparison by Turner Motorsports is correct that's a huge improvement over stock. Even compared to the M3 bars.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 04:42 AM   #5
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kOncept View Post
I'm looking at Whiteline because I have access to them at good prices and the following comparison.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-te...sway-bars.aspx

I assume Whiteline uses a 27mm "solid" section so the results should be similar to the H&R.

If the comparison by Turner Motorsports is correct that's a huge improvement over stock. Even compared to the M3 bars.
Very interesting chart mate!! Thanks for sharing.

But what does a 'huge improvement' mean to you? Thickness? And does thickness of sway translate to better handling? i.e. understeer or oversteer?

The M3 gets its praises from being a well balanced and handling machine, not from its power. That said, everyones driving style is different and it's about setting it up to what you want and your style.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 05:11 AM   #6
kRaZeD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
Very interesting chart mate!! Thanks for sharing.

But what does a 'huge improvement' mean to you? Thickness? And does thickness of sway translate to better handling? i.e. understeer or oversteer?

The M3 gets its praises from being a well balanced and handling machine, not from its power. That said, everyones driving style is different and it's about setting it up to what you want and your style.
Upgraded sway bars will have a big impact on the body roll of a car. Upgraded sway bars will reduce body roll, and generally make a car handle a hell of a lot better... Until the tyres break loose, and then it is like hitting a light switch. My last car had coilovers & sway bars, and with just the coilovers I could easy feel when the car felt like it was about to let go of traction. When I put the sway bars in it made the car so much faster round corners, but at the same time, if I pushed too fast or too hard there wasn't much of a warning for when it would break traction. Especially in the wet. A small change (and I mean small, like 0.5") of steering input was enough to make the car under steer in the wet when pushing it. In the dry the car was very well balanced for what it was.

As to if it will induce over or under steer, that completely depends on how much thicker/heavier the new sway bars are.

If the front upgrade is disproportionately bigger than the rear, or only the front is upgraded, then an otherwise well balanced car will tend to under steer. Do the opposite (rear sway bar increase) and the car will tend to over steer.

That being said, how firm the suspension is and tyre selection play a large role as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 05:48 AM   #7
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kRaZeD View Post
Upgraded sway bars will have a big impact on the body roll of a car. Upgraded sway bars will reduce body roll, and generally make a car handle a hell of a lot better... Until the tyres break loose, and then it is like hitting a light switch. My last car had coilovers & sway bars, and with just the coilovers I could easy feel when the car felt like it was about to let go of traction. When I put the sway bars in it made the car so much faster round corners, but at the same time, if I pushed too fast or too hard there wasn't much of a warning for when it would break traction. Especially in the wet. A small change (and I mean small, like 0.5") of steering input was enough to make the car under steer in the wet when pushing it. In the dry the car was very well balanced for what it was.

As to if it will induce over or under steer, that completely depends on how much thicker/heavier the new sway bars are.

If the front upgrade is disproportionately bigger than the rear, or only the front is upgraded, then an otherwise well balanced car will tend to under steer. Do the opposite (rear sway bar increase) and the car will tend to over steer.

That being said, how firm the suspension is and tyre selection play a large role as well.
Exactly mate, my questions were to him and what he referred to an 'upgrade' or 'improvement' as it means different things to different people.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 06:01 AM   #8
kOncept
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
Exactly mate, my questions were to him and what he referred to an 'upgrade' or 'improvement' as it means different things to different people.
I was also going to ask what the percentages in that chart actually represents, what are they measuring in that comparison? % stiffness? % increase in speed around same corner?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #9
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

% quoted are increases in stiffness.

The higher % figure is not necessarily 'better', as a high % increase in stiffness can produce a lot of oversteer and the handling become twitchy and snaps and bites hard (not what you want for an inexperienced driver)

TBH I would stick to the M3 items, as they're a safe compromise and at the end of the day oem items so it keeps the insurance guys happy also
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #10
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Silver 320i E90 6MT

If you stick to the speed limit and don't do anything funky around corners you'll experience little difference with sway bars except less body roll and sharper turn in.

I put an upgraded sway bar on a Saab 9-3 coupe once - not the most dynamic of cars but nicely balanced (despite what you read) - once the stiffer rear sway bar was installed (about 30 minute DIY job) the car felt like it was oversteering into every corner (even though it wasn't actually oversteering) until I got used to it - about 30 minutes of driving will get you used to a car.

Note that a stiffer sway bar will effect the DSC effectiveness on your BMW - if your prang your car and your insurer figures out you have a non-spec sway bar it'll open all sorts of conversations leading to no coverage (depending upon the value and nature of the claim); the way around the insurance problem is to report the modifications to your insurer.

I'd suggest that if you have a non M-Sport suspension then I'd suggest you just add M-Sport sway (stabiliser) bars but the cost of BMW parts might mean a lot of dough for not a lot of benefit and if you have M-Sport suspension then choosing M3 sway bars (assuming they fit) might be the go.

Last edited by 196806; 05-08-2014 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #11
ssric3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

I have both Whiteline sway bars installed, and can confirm all that has been commented here. I have the stock sports suspension. Body roll is reduced and turn in is improved slightly. But the car has become rather unpredictable at the limit, over steering easily. I made the upgrade because I was replacing the rear sub frame bushings, so might as well upgrade the rear sway bar. And I chose Whiteline because I was told very good things from them and the fact that I'll be installing coil-overs very soon (and have read that the coil over will go nicely with stiffer sway bars, as long as springs are stiffer).

Now I have to hurry and save for a LSD, because now it will be required to keep traction. If not done soon, I'll be changing to the M3 sway bars.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #12
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssric3 View Post
I have both Whiteline sway bars installed, and can confirm all that has been commented here. I have the stock sports suspension. Body roll is reduced and turn in is improved slightly. But the car has become rather unpredictable at the limit, over steering easily. I made the upgrade because I was replacing the rear sub frame bushings, so might as well upgrade the rear sway bar. And I chose Whiteline because I was told very good things from them and the fact that I'll be installing coil-overs very soon (and have read that the coil over will go nicely with stiffer sway bars, as long as springs are stiffer).

Now I have to hurry and save for a LSD, because now it will be required to keep traction. If not done soon, I'll be changing to the M3 sway bars.
Replace the stock suspension with coil overs before the LSD. The stock suspension is terrible
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #13
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

lol this thread is over 4 years old
      10-26-2018, 11:33 PM   #14
ssric3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Replace the stock suspension with coil overs before the LSD. The stock suspension is terrible
They are on their way! Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 04:48 AM   #15
ADEe92
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 320d sport plus edition

Garage List
2013 320d  [0.00]
1988 320i with M30B35  [0.00]
Quote: