E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My E91 - Project Sportification

05-07-2020, 08:10 PM   #67
B6T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i 6-speed

That's a nice A4 Ultrasport. And a very nice E91 as well!

I had an '03 Ultrasport sedan that I swapped a 2.7t into. Sold it and hung onto the 135i M-Sport I owed at the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 09:48 PM   #68
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by B6T View Post
That's a nice A4 Ultrasport. And a very nice E91 as well!

I had an '03 Ultrasport sedan that I swapped a 2.7t into. Sold it and hung onto the 135i M-Sport I owed at the time.
Nice! We sold our B6 USP Avant. I was eyeing an engine swap for it if we were to keep it, so 2.7T would have been an option, but a belt-driven V8 would have been my dream.

I got lucky and found a 2016 Allroad that I fixed. Great car, but automatic.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #69
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Finally, I finished my 335i brake upgrade.

The rear driver side caliper was giving me trouble and wasn't gliding smoothly, which completely ruined pads and rotor. They were done anyway, but this was terminal, so I had to act.
I think you'd agree:

The rotors look more dramatic than they are due the car sitting for a little bit.

Found a set of 335i caliper in good shape, so I cleaned them up, removed pistons, painted them with Dupli-Color caliper paint, installed new seals and dust boots and got new brake hoses and they were ready to go:

I couldn't safely disconnect the rear brake line at the hard line connection, so I just screwed the rear caliper onto the existing line. I'll leave those to a shop if they ever start leaking.

I installed Brembo Premium coated rotors and Ceramic pads.

The results:

I also changed the cabin filter:

And back in summer mode!

I bled them with Motive Bleeder and went for a proper bedding run. However, I recall my pedal was firmer than it is now. The car stops very well, I must say - much better than the old brakes. But the pedal is very soft on the initial bite. It does not sink to the floor, but I wonder what I did wrong. Shall I re-bleed again? Despite changing calipers, I only collected about 700ml of old fluid after the flush. There were no bubbles left coming out and I don't see any leaks.
Any pointers?
Appreciate 3
oVeRdOsE.2518.00
CDirks135.00
      05-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #70
eljay
Colonel
Rep

My power steering reservoir is leaking, so I need to replace that. During another inspection, I got a note that the high-pressure PS line is "sweating". Is that just from the leaky reservoir or are those known to go? That is, should I replace it as well?

During the brake upgrade, I noticed that suspension refresh is needed. No leaks, but rear shocks show some rust bubbles.
The previous owner replaced rear passenger shock and I replaced front thrust arms a couple of years ago. The rest seems to be original and I'm at 86k miles and coming on 12 years.

With that, I'm starting to investigate the best suspension option for me. Paging tlow98 .
Objectives:
- upgrade the suspension to factory Sport package spec.
- lowering: not needed, but tiny little bit would be welcome (0.5" max) - does Sport suspension provide that kind of a lowering drop?
- ride firmness: street, family car, so slightly firmer than non-sport, but smooth ride preferred.

With the above, my research led me to Bilstein B4 Sport shocks:
Front: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...3051&jsn=14611 and https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...4612&jsn=14612
Rear: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...3051&jsn=14609

Now, what options do I have for Sport springs for E91 xDrive? Were there factory sport springs I should try to locate? Is there another combo that would work for an xDrive wagon?

I will also start making a list of bushings etc. to update.

Thanks!

p.s. I'm no expert, but E91 suspension setup looks miles simpler than the 8-arm front setup on my B6 Audi!

Last edited by eljay; 05-18-2020 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:14 PM   #71
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Ha! Yeah, the suspension topic I find to be a fun one.

Stock sport suspension should be a .5" drop, yes. In the rear, probably more, which I did not want, so using various rubber spacers to beef it back up. Is this you're summer car or do everything car? Just wondering about snow clearance but maybe you don't much actual snow?

But couple things of note:
- Fresh sport top mounts in the front may thwart a tiny bit of going lower as compared to old, compressed ones.
- I ended up up with D7 and D8 sport springs, as the wagon weight bias is closer to the convertible than any other setup. But you're xdrive, so should be 49/51ish F/R for you, so maybe D8 all around is best.

I'm personally aiming for how your car sits now by using sport springs but different spring perches and rear spacers to make it all work out. I wanted more spring rate but the same travel and ride height while also keeping OE ride and reliability.

Also, I'm glad you were able to rid your wagon of those Titanic artifacts. wow, that rust!

Last edited by tlow98; 05-18-2020 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #72
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Ha! Yeah, the suspension topic I find to be a fun one.

Stock sport suspension should be a .5" drop, yes. In the rear, probably more, which I did not want, so using various rubber spacers to beef it back up. Is this you're summer car or do everything car? Just wondering about snow clearance but maybe you don't much actual snow?

But couple things of note:
- Fresh sport top mounts in the front may thwart a tiny bit of going lower as compared to old, compressed ones.
- I ended up up with D7 and D8 sport springs, as the wagon weight bias is closer to the convertible than any other setup. But you're xdrive, so should be 49/51ish F/R for you, so maybe D8 all around is best.

I'm personally aiming for how your car sits now by using sport springs but different spring perches and rear spacers to make it all work out. I wanted more spring rate but the same travel and ride height while also keeping OE ride and reliability.

Also, I'm glad you were able to rid your wagon of those Titanic artifacts. wow, that rust!
Yes, it was good to get rid of those old calipers! The underside of the car is not too bad relative to our old B6 Audi, but I did spray some rust inhibitor around the rear subframe while I had the car up.

This is a daily year-round driver, so winter driveability is needed. We've never had trouble with our previous B6 Avant that was sitting on Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-Kit springs. That said, I don't want to go back to that. So, factory Sport height with good handling is what I'm after. I recognize that after 86k miles ANY new component combo I throw at this will be "wow, what an amazing setup I have!"

Is there a reference for the various E9x spring types? Just trying to see where to look for, say, D8 springs if that's what I should aim for. I have no idea what the "D8" means, so I'd like to learn.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 06:09 PM   #73
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Wow that sure is some rust... boy it makes me glad to live somewhere it doesn't snow/ salted roads.

Great job on the brake swap, thank you so much for not painting them some stupid color... I like the subtle black, very OEM+

I'm kinda with you on the springs right now... don't want much of a drop but would like to firm it up while not killing my spine... I have to back up my driveway sideways as it is so anything over .5-.75" is gonna be pushing it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:10 AM   #74
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Yes, it was good to get rid of those old calipers! The underside of the car is not too bad relative to our old B6 Audi, but I did spray some rust inhibitor around the rear subframe while I had the car up.

This is a daily year-round driver, so winter driveability is needed. We've never had trouble with our previous B6 Avant that was sitting on Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-Kit springs. That said, I don't want to go back to that. So, factory Sport height with good handling is what I'm after. I recognize that after 86k miles ANY new component combo I throw at this will be "wow, what an amazing setup I have!"

Is there a reference for the various E9x spring types? Just trying to see where to look for, say, D8 springs if that's what I should aim for. I have no idea what the "D8" means, so I'd like to learn.

There are a few different designations for springs. The first letter stands for the sport/non sport. C = non sport. D = sport. There are others like for example the rear springs on my wagon were X4, but for the most part you will see C and D. Then the number stands for the weight load of the car it was designed for. A lightweight 328i rwd with sport will likely have D5/D4 front/rear. A 335i coupe/Sedan with sport will have D7/D6 F/R. 335i convertible sport D7/D8 F/R. 335d sport D8/D7.

I picked D8 for the rear because the rear of the wagon is more akin to the convertible weight distribution and given I installed subframe bushing inserts I knew it could handle more spring without turning into a pogo stick.

The front I probably could have gone D7, but I found a pair of cheap D8 and thought it prolly wouldn’t make a huge difference plus more spring at this OE level is better. Plus, maybe it would allow me to get rid of my from M3 sway bar and go back to my stocker. Benefit there is better ride quality and mechanical grip while still getting the spring rate I want.

For shocks I’m still up in the air. Koni yellow best, then prolly b4 sport. The B4 sports with new hardware is a pretty killer deal at prolly $750 all in price point. For a new OE ride of your height/spring rate pretty hard to beat.

All this being said I recently learned Ohlins R&T could MAYBE get me the ride height I want, so now I’m kind of at a fork in the road. Spend $1k more or argh...

Anyway, for your springs just let eBay be your guide “e90 sport OE springs D7” etc.

Example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/06-11-BMW-E...oAAOSwIuNehla6

For the wagon I wouldn’t go below D6/7 for the rear bc of the weight, otherwise your drop might be more significant. Above is about what I paid for each front/rear pair. Just be sure to scope the pics and make sure the protective coating is still on them. I don’t need to tell you about the rust :-)

Those 18s look super sharp on your dark wagon!

Last edited by tlow98; 05-21-2020 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-21-2020, 02:48 AM   #75
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Awesome info ^

Thankyou! Need to see what the springs on my car are now...
Appreciate 1
tlow982162.50
      05-21-2020, 12:27 PM   #76
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There are a few different designations for springs. The first letter stands for the sport/non sport. C = non sport. D = sport. There are others like for example the rear springs on my wagon were X4, but for the most part you will see C and D. Then the number stands for the weight load of the car it was designed for. A lightweight 328i rwd with sport will likely have D5/D4 front/rear. A 335i coupe/Sedan with sport will have D7/D6 F/R. 335i convertible sport D7/D8 F/R. 335d sport D8/D7.

I picked D8 for the rear because the rear of the wagon is more akin to the convertible weight distribution and given I installed subframe bushing inserts I knew it could handle more spring without turning into a pogo stick.

The front I probably could have gone D7, but I found a pair of cheap D8 and thought it prolly wouldn’t make a huge difference plus more spring at this OE level is better. Plus, maybe it would allow me to get rid of my from M3 sway bar and go back to my stocker. Benefit there is better ride quality and mechanical grip while still getting the spring rate I want.

For shocks I’m still up in the air. Koni yellow best, then prolly b4 sport. The B4 sports with new hardware is a pretty killer deal at prolly $750 all in price point. For a new OE ride of your height/spring rate pretty hard to beat.

All this being said I recently learned Ohlins R&T could MAYBE get me the ride height I want, so now I’m kind of at a fork in the road. Spend $1k more or argh...

Anyway, for your springs just let eBay be your guide “e90 sport OE springs D7” etc.

Example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/06-11-BMW-E...oAAOSwIuNehla6

For the wagon I wouldn’t go below D6/7 for the rear bc of the weight, otherwise your drop might be more significant. Above is about what I paid for each front/rear pair. Just be sure to scope the pics and make sure the protective coating is still on them. I don’t need to tell you about the rust :-)

Those 18s look super sharp on your dark wagon!
Thank you. Great info!
FYI, the B4 Sport shock set can be had via Rock Auto for under US$300. I hope I can find a set of sport springs to go with them.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 12:50 PM   #77
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Wow, that's good value!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 10:01 PM   #78
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. Great info!
FYI, the B4 Sport shock set can be had via Rock Auto for under US$300. I hope I can find a set of sport springs to go with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Wow, that's good value!
Yeah, that's what is so tempting. New shocks, used springs and all the hardware/mounts, etc. for ~$750 is prolly unmatched in bang/buck.

Also, check on eBay for the B4s. When i was looking they were cheaper there than Rockauto due to free shipping and less tax. Like $330 to your door.

Last edited by tlow98; 05-21-2020 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #79
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, that's what is so tempting. New shocks, used springs and all the hardware/mounts, etc. for ~$750 is prolly unmatched in bang/buck.

Also, check on eBay for the B4s. When i was looking they were cheaper there than Rockauto due to free shipping and less tax. Like $330 to your door.
Yep, agreed.

The weight for my Touring looks to be 1710 kg in the specs here.
The 335i convertible is 1830kg.
Looking at various E9x variants, I found E93 328i to be the closest in weight at 1766kg. Source: https://www.auto123.com/en/new-cars/...abriolet/328i/
E92 335xi is 1695kg, but I don't believe any xDrive cars had Sport suspension D springs, correct?

So, should I look for springs from E93 328i with a Sport package?

Any thoughts on new LESJÖFORS brand springs? Never heard of them, but I see them on RockAuto.

Last edited by eljay; 05-22-2020 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:12 PM   #80
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

You need to find somewhere that lists the axle weights, not just the total weight...BMW official specs have it listed, but I've only ever found specs for the e90. That way you can select springs with a lot better accuracy.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 09:08 PM   #81
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yep, agreed.

The weight for my Touring looks to be 1710 kg in the specs here.
The 335i convertible is 1830kg.
Looking at various E9x variants, I found E93 328i to be the closest in weight at 1766kg. Source: https://www.auto123.com/en/new-cars/...abriolet/328i/
E92 335xi is 1695kg, but I don't believe any xDrive cars had Sport suspension D springs, correct?

So, should I look for springs from E93 328i with a Sport package?

Any thoughts on new LESJÖFORS brand springs? Never heard of them, but I see them on RockAuto.
I'd stick to used OE springs over some mystery box. A pretty important piece of the puzzle. Aslo, no Xdrive E93s, correct.

Your front end is ~150ish pounds heavier the E93 328i I suspect. Transfer case, diff and axles over that front axle. But you have a manual so that prolly saves 50lbs.

D7 or above all around would be my suggestion. Any less and the weight may mean you end up lower than anticipated. Plus I suspect the springs vary in 10-20 ft/inch increments. Not so large that being over sprung will be any worry.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #82
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Accodring to specs, Xd cars are 50 (110lb) - 100kg (220lb) heavier than their RWD counterparts...varies by model. See here, somewhere near the end:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-m...7fcAp7DsHHm2hu

M6 vs A6 is 15 (33lb) - 30kg (66lb) increase:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=10-...fK48ckDHXfAqWb

Last edited by Tambohamilton; 05-24-2020 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 08:46 PM   #83
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
My power steering reservoir is leaking, so I need to replace that. During another inspection, I got a note that the high-pressure PS line is "sweating". Is that just from the leaky reservoir or are those known to go? That is, should I replace it as well?

During the brake upgrade, I noticed that suspension refresh is needed. No leaks, but rear shocks show some rust bubbles.
The previous owner replaced rear passenger shock and I replaced front thrust arms a couple of years ago. The rest seems to be original and I'm at 86k miles and coming on 12 years.

With that, I'm starting to investigate the best suspension option for me. Paging tlow98 .
Objectives:
- lowering: not needed, but tiny little bit would be welcome (0.5" max) - does Sport suspension provide that kind of a lowering drop?
- ride firmness: street, family car, so slightly firmer than non-sport, but smooth ride preferred.

Front: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...3051&jsn=14611 and https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...4612&jsn=14612
Rear: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...3051&jsn=14609

Now, what options do I have for Sport springs for E91 xDrive? Were there factory sport springs I should try to locate? Is there another combo that would work for an xDrive wagon?

Thanks!

p.s. I'm no expert, but E91 suspension setup looks miles simpler than the 8-arm front setup on my B6 Audi!
A suggestion.

ST coil overs. They are specifically for an x drive e91. it rides like stock, but better. chopped up county roads at speed aren't a problem.
that's what I did and I'm quite happy.

think of it as a adjustable strut. uses the factory strut tops so remains nice.

this is as low as it can go and still be within alignment specs. which is actually exactly the distance that ST says is the lowest TUV approved height.
instructions were nice.

Last edited by nsjames; 05-25-2020 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 08:56 PM   #84
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

https://www.stsuspensions.com/produc...-13220049.html

$791 and done.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 09:21 PM   #85
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
Quote:

Objectives:

Front: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&jsn=14611 and https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&jsn=14612
Rear: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&jsn=14609

Thanks!

A suggestion.

ST coil overs. They are specifically for an x drive e91. it rides like stock, but better. chopped up county roads at speed aren't a problem.
that's what I did and I'm quite happy.

think of it as a adjustable strut. uses the factory strut tops so remains nice.

this is as low as it can go and still be within alignment specs. which is actually exactly the distance that ST says is the lowest TUV approved height.
instructions were nice.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Those look good. However, I know I would not have time to adjust them when I want, so it will be 'set it and forget it'. Plus with our salty winters, I probably wouldn't be able to do doing much adjusting after one season anyway. So, I don't see a need to spend double on something I won't fully utilize.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 12:40 PM   #86
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

is it really double though?
you spend $300 on shocks
and then another $250 on springs, you're at 550.

perches are aluminum in the rear.
front struts have a plastic perch, and are zinc coated
no signs of rust yet and I'm here in the rust belt.
5 year warranty.

I did all the things you're doing right now to try and piece together things, with no guarantees that I didn't spend $500 and end up wit hthe wrong springs or something.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #87
WeeAlJ
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 3 Series Tourer 177

E91

Car looks amazing, going through some tests with mine just now but having some issues, posting for info shortly.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #88
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
is it really double though?
you spend $300 on shocks
and then another $250 on springs, you're at 550.

perches are aluminum in the rear.
front struts have a plastic perch, and are zinc coated
no signs of rust yet and I'm here in the rust belt.
5 year warranty.

I did all the things you're doing right now to try and piece together things, with no guarantees that I didn't spend $500 and end up wit hthe wrong springs or something.
Agree on the price point. The STs are an incredible value. I don't see anyone spending less $5-600 on a proper refresh of stock components even with used springs (strut mounts, bumpers) and if you're replacing every wear component (paper gaskets, spring rubbers, etc.) you'll easily be $7 bills deep.

My only question about the STs is how high do they go? Can you get them to stock ride height or mandatory lowering happening?

Looked up the specs. For RWD they can go to 14" max all around ride height. Not far where I'm at right now. Bit of a bummer that the price for the RWD kit is $890, $100 more than AWD.

Last edited by tlow98; 05-26-2020 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0