E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Intermittent dashboard warnings

07-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #1
samsudden
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i

Intermittent dashboard warnings

Hello,

A couple of weeks ago, my 2011 318i started showing a red CEL and amber hill assist failed warnings a couple of minutes into a drive. An OBD scanner said that the vehicle reported no fault codes. Both warnings went away after 4-5 days. (The only change was that I re-secured the fuel tank cap, since the warnings had started immediately after a refuel).

No warnings for a couple of drives after (20-25 miles). Yesterday, the car felt jumpy on start; a few minutes into my drive, the engine malfunction indicator showed up after a few miles when I hit the motorway. The OBD scanner showed P0087 Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low. Refit the fuel tank cap (had refuelled immediately prior to the drive!), and the warning went away.

Back to the red CEL and amber hill assist failed warnings today! I plan to have this looked up by my local dealer shortly, but checking in if anyone has any thoughts on this pattern of issues.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #2
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Is that a generic obd2 scanner that can read any car or one they actually can read deep bmw shadow codes. Because you want the latter or bmw inpa. That fuel rail code is weird maybe you're having some fuel pump issue but I think there might be other codes sitting around to help pin point what's wrong. Is there any noticeable decrease in performance when it happens?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
samsudden
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i

Hi E92William,

This is a generic OBD2 scanner, unfortunately. When the CEL was red, I have not really observed an drop in performance; in the lead-up to the instance when the CEL went yellow (code P0087), I did observe that there was unusual rocking / jerky starts on acceleration, especially on initial start.

In any case, since there is correlation with the start of such instances with refuelling, I hope it will just be an issue with the fuel filler cap - I will look to replace this in the first instance, and see it resolves the issues.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0