E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Seriously, block your EGR (pictures inside)

06-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #111
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by grzes View Post
hey guys, I have a question, might be silly one but maybe someone can explain that to me. I had CBU issues as well, dealer cleaned all up. My question is why we only see the build up on the intake and no one so far has any issues in the exhaust pipe. Why we don't see any carbon build up in the exhaust pipe??

Exhaust gasses are hot and dry, therefore don't stick to anything. (well except for the DPF as designed)

Intake is a cooler temperature cocktail of fresh air, Exhaust recirculated air, and oily crankcase vapors.

This cocktail mixture is what creates the sludge tar like buildup in the intake. Remove the EGR component of the cocktail and things get exponentially less sludgy. Add a catch can to the crankcase ventilation and things get even cleaner. Add water / meth injection, and things stay as clean as a God intended.
      06-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #112
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Exhaust gasses are hot and dry, therefore don't stick to anything. (well except for the DPF as designed)

Intake is a cooler temperature cocktail of fresh air, Exhaust recirculated air, and oily crankcase vapors.

This cocktail mixture is what creates the sludge tar like buildup in the intake. Remove the EGR component of the cocktail and things get exponentially less sludgy. Add a catch can to the crankcase ventilation and things get even cleaner. Add water / meth injection, and things stay as clean as a God intended.
great, thank you, that makes sense, guess the moist is the main culprit, so adding catch can makes lots of sense now
Thank You Mark M
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #113
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
hey guys, I have a question, might be silly one but maybe someone can explain that to me. I had CBU issues as well, dealer cleaned all up. My question is why we only see the build up on the intake and no one so far has any issues in the exhaust pipe. Why we don't see any carbon build up in the exhaust pipe??
Cos DPF filters it, regens and burns it to ashes. Plus there is no oil vapor to mix in like in the intake.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #114
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
Cos DPF filters it, regens and burns it to ashes. Plus there is no oil vapor to mix in like in the intake.
Yes, I know about the filter but I was talking about buildup before the filter. Explanation what Mark wrote makes lots of sense.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #115
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
Hooper
would it be advisable to clean the plates every 5000-10000 miles?
hard to say. I honestly dont know how many miles I have put on mine at this point, maybe 10k? I would not pull it just to clean it, but may clean it if it is pulled for another reason just to be extra careful
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 12:40 AM   #116
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
I think CBU was developed by the same company responsible for teflon sticking to pots and pans.
Appreciate 0