E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD Stage 2 335is not passing NC inspection

10-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #23
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
If you don't check the box even on stage 0 you will have the same issue you have now I believe, you need to check the box and then you will probably only get one not ready but you will get a check engine light - I think the cobb AP suppressed the light I am guessing. If you time it right you can get the 02 ready but the catalyst will take a few on off cycles I think before it sets a check engine light, so if you can get it inspected as soon as you get to just one not ready before it sets the light you can pull it off, or do a DPFix so you get all things ready.
I'm not the one having any issues..
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:16 PM   #24
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim415 View Post
You guys are so damn lucky! Try living in California and SMOG'ing your car. The techs are like emission Nazi's. When the guy was talking to me on his break he was like "so what mods have you done, looks like a highly modified car". And I said what I did but reiterated that I put it all back to stock for SMOG. Then he casually asked if I was gonna put the parts back on after to which I said "yea I will in time". The dick then ran back and wrote notes on my smog form "customer will put illegal downpipes on car after SMOG". He said he was going to send it to the DMV and told me to never come back to the shop again. This is a place I've been going to for over 10 years now.
No offense but that was kind of dumb to do. It should always be a need to know basis on inspections or dealership visits
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:17 PM   #25
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

OP-

Both Cobb and MHD disable "readiness" for the catalyst monitor in precisely the same manner. Entries for the cat monitors in table of values for various monitors are zeroed out so that the DME always believes those monitors are "not ready" for testing. If the catalyst monitors did become ready in a car without cats, the DME would interpret their output as a cat failure and set the check engine light.

So, if your car passed with a Cobb Accessport, it will pass with MHD, guaranteed. UNLESS something else has changed in the interim.

Since you have catless downpipes, make sure the MHD box is unchecked, so the MHD will prevent cat monitor readiness. It does not matter if you are in stage 0 or stage 2+ - that's irrelevant to this process.

The confusing issue is why your O2 monitor is not setting i.e. becoming "ready". That signifies a different problem. A DPfix is not going to "fix" that.
The DPfix works by faking appropriate values for the post-cat sensors - it's extremely simple, in essence just a voltage divider taking a pre-cat sensor output, dividing it roughly in half, and feeding it to the DME in place of the actual post-cat sensor signal. Anyway, if you have a sensor "not ready" you may have a bad sensor, bad wire or bad connector

Do you have any error codes? Please report them here.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:24 PM   #26
alex-e92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by theobjectivist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-e92 View Post
I flashed the car back to stage 0 yesterday and didn't tick the dp's box. I live in NC so i can have one "not ready" code, and that's usually for the cats. All i need are the O2 and Catalysts to show "ready" and i'm good. Do I seriously have to put the stock dp's back on the car though? That seems like overkill. And also i do not have a dp fix as i've never needed one. Car did fine all through its life with the accessport in regards to passing inspection.

So they allow one monitor (of any type) to show unready? That explains how the AP allowed you to pass. You should be able to achieve the same with MHD, So no, you dont need the DP fix or OEM cats.

Clarify for me: when you initially tested and failed, what stage were you on and did you have the OEM/Catted DPs box ticked?

Did you screen capture the readiness status?
Yes, i assumed thats why the catless dp's were always passing. I was on stage 2 and i didnt have the oem/catted boxes ticked for a good while though. Probably since early summer.

But no, i havent captured the screen showing readiness. Its showing not ready right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 06:44 PM   #27
alex-e92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
OP-

Both Cobb and MHD disable "readiness" for the catalyst monitor in precisely the same manner. Entries for the cat monitors in table of values for various monitors are zeroed out so that the DME always believes those monitors are "not ready" for testing. If the catalyst monitors did become ready in a car without cats, the DME would interpret their output as a cat failure and set the check engine light.

So, if your car passed with a Cobb Accessport, it will pass with MHD, guaranteed. UNLESS something else has changed in the interim.

Since you have catless downpipes, make sure the MHD box is unchecked, so the MHD will prevent cat monitor readiness. It does not matter if you are in stage 0 or stage 2+ - that's irrelevant to this process.

The confusing issue is why your O2 monitor is not setting i.e. becoming "ready". That signifies a different problem. A DPfix is not going to "fix" that.
The DPfix works by faking appropriate values for the post-cat sensors - it's extremely simple, in essence just a voltage divider taking a pre-cat sensor output, dividing it roughly in half, and feeding it to the DME in place of the actual post-cat sensor signal. Anyway, if you have a sensor "not ready" you may have a bad sensor, bad wire or bad connector

Do you have any error codes? Please report them here.
This makes a lot more sense. Would it be bad O2 sensors? The car has been catless for a long while now. Probably 30-40k miles.

I'm not getting any error codes whatsoever, though. Which is why I'm super confused.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 07:20 PM   #28
Slim415
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soden82 View Post
Quote:
You guys are so damn lucky! Try living in California and SMOG'ing your car. The techs are like emission Nazi's. When the guy was talking to me on his break he was like "so what mods have you done, looks like a highly modified car". And I said what I did but reiterated that I put it all back to stock for SMOG. Then he casually asked if I was gonna put the parts back on after to which I said "yea I will in time". The dick then ran back and wrote notes on my smog form "customer will put illegal downpipes on car after SMOG". He said he was going to send it to the DMV and told me to never come back to the shop again. This is a place I've been going to for over 10 years now.
No offense but that was kind of dumb to do. It should always be a need to know basis on inspections or dealership visits
I honestly thought he was gonna be cool about it but clearly I was wrong. He was a young guy and had done all my previous inspections in the past and I know he has a really modded Subaru also so I assumed it was just one car guy talking to another car guy ykno.
Appreciate 1
Soden82477.00
      10-28-2020, 12:06 AM   #29
_N54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d

Your 335is might need a DME software update. My 335is bone stock was not passing the catalyst and oxygen sensors were not getting completed and It ended up being a DME software update.
      10-28-2020, 10:11 AM   #30
alex-e92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///S58 View Post
Your 335is might need a DME software update. My 335is bone stock was not passing the catalyst and oxygen sensors were not getting completed and It ended up being a DME software update.
I'm not sure why my car wouldn't be updated, but how would I go about getting it updated? Just call the dealer or something like that?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 02:37 PM   #31
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I honestly thought he was gonna be cool about it but clearly I was wrong. He was a young guy and had done all my previous inspections in the past and I know he has a really modded Subaru also so I assumed it was just one car guy talking to another car guy ykno.
I gotcha, I'd be the same way to be honest.
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #32
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure why my car wouldn't be updated, but how would I go about getting it updated? Just call the dealer or something like that?
OP, do you have a way to test the O2 voltage to the rear sensors? I'd be curious to know if they are on their way out.
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 02:52 PM   #33
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
If you don't check the box even on stage 0 you will have the same issue you have now I believe, you need to check the box and then you will probably only get one not ready but you will get a check engine light - I think the cobb AP suppressed the light I am guessing. If you time it right you can get the 02 ready but the catalyst will take a few on off cycles I think before it sets a check engine light, so if you can get it inspected as soon as you get to just one not ready before it sets the light you can pull it off, or do a DPFix so you get all things ready.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 02:53 PM   #34
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
I'm not the one having any issues..
I'd say welcome to BMW but this is anyone's problem modifying on the street.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #35
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I'd say welcome to BMW but this is anyone's problem modifying on the street.
Lol.... I've had Cobb dp for 4 years and no issues with emissions after my first rodeo, which I posted a link to on page 1.

I am going to switch them out for AR resonated though and just asked off the whim if you needed to have the OEM box checked or not when running a dp fix, 1 person said yes, another said no. I haven't done research on it yet, but I'm sure when the time comes I shouldn't be having issues like OP is. Seems like he should either check the box and do a drive cycle, or buy a dp fix and do what is needed for that.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #36
alex-e92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
OP, do you have a way to test the O2 voltage to the rear sensors? I'd be curious to know if they are on their way out.
Sadly I don't, wouldn't there be thrown codes if they were on their way out? My scans keep saying that the DME isn't showing any.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 07:45 PM   #37
theobjectivist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Lol.... I've had Cobb dp for 4 years and no issues with emissions after my first rodeo, which I posted a link to on page 1.

I am going to switch them out for AR resonated though and just asked off the whim if you needed to have the OEM box checked or not when running a dp fix, 1 person said yes, another said no. I haven't done research on it yet, but I'm sure when the time comes I shouldn't be having issues like OP is. Seems like he should either check the box and do a drive cycle, or buy a dp fix and do what is needed for that.
If you are running catless DPs and the DP fix, you will check the box in mhd that indicates you are on oem/catted dps. This allows the ecu to run as if you are stock, and all of your catalyst and o2 readiness indicators will be ready for the smog check
Appreciate 1
BSM n54iS2684.50
      10-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #38
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
This makes a lot more sense. Would it be bad O2 sensors? The car has been catless for a long while now. Probably 30-40k miles.

I'm not getting any error codes whatsoever, though. Which is why I'm super confused.

I'd expect a code but maybe not. O2 monitor should set (become ready) relatively quickly, compared to the cat or evap monitors. In fact, O2 readiness is a necessary condition to meet before cat readiness is evaluated.

I'd start by restoring a completely stock flash to the DME (not just go to stage 0 - remove the MHD code entirely). Then I'd see if the O2 monitor would set. If it does, the DME will proceed to the cat monitor and since you have no cats, when that monitor becomes ready and is tested, it will fail. The CEL will come on and codes will be thrown. But if the O2 monitor does not set, the DME will not proceed to evaluate the cat monitor and you won't get a light.

The above procedure will determine conclusively whether this problem is related to the MHD installation or not. If the O2 monitor problem persists with a stock flash, then we can think about further trouble shooting.

Let me add that while most cars achieve readiness pretty quickly, some vehicles seem to take much longer, for reasons that are not clear to me. You might want to give it a hundred miles or more before concluding that the O2 monitor won't set.

Edit: did you install the MHD on top of the Cobb flash or did you remove the Cobb flash first?

Last edited by dpaul; 10-29-2020 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 05:02 PM   #39
alex-e92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'd expect a code but maybe not. O2 monitor should set (become ready) relatively quickly, compared to the cat or evap monitors. In fact, O2 readiness is a necessary condition to meet before cat readiness is evaluated.

I'd start by restoring a completely stock flash to the DME (not just go to stage 0 - remove the MHD code entirely). Then I'd see if the O2 monitor would set. If it does, the DME will proceed to the cat monitor and since you have no cats, when that monitor becomes ready and is tested, it will fail. The CEL will come on and codes will be thrown. But if the O2 monitor does not set, the DME will not proceed to evaluate the cat monitor and you won't get a light.

The above procedure will determine conclusively whether this problem is related to the MHD installation or not. If the O2 monitor problem persists with a stock flash, then we can think about further trouble shooting.

Let me add that while most cars achieve readiness pretty quickly, some vehicles seem to take much longer, for reasons that are not clear to me. You might want to give it a hundred miles or more before concluding that the O2 monitor won't set.

Edit: did you install the MHD on top of the Cobb flash or did you remove the Cobb flash first?
Ok sounds good, im gonna try to drive it a good bit this weekend and i'll let you know how it goes. I also uninstalled Cobb and then flashed MHD on top of the stock tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 06:32 PM   #40
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is E92

Quote:
I'm having this same issue and flashed back to stage 0. I have Oem downpipes though. Do I still need to check the MHD "oem/catted downpipe" box when flashing? So you're saying MHD prevents catalyst readiness by default?

I've had Catalyst and O2 incomplete since October, and many drive cycles and over 500 miles. I flashed back to zero and its not resolved. My last resort was to uninstall MHD completely and try the drive cycles again. If not, try to update DME myself or take it to the shop
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 10:39 PM   #41
CRn54
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok sounds good, im gonna try to drive it a good bit this weekend and i'll let you know how it goes. I also uninstalled Cobb and then flashed MHD on top of the stock tune.
Hey, tried pming you a few times but your inbox is full. Hoping you see this, send me a pm when you do. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 08:53 AM   #42
335iMaster
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten-Zing View Post
If I lived in a state that did emissions I would do this:

Get a PO Box in Montana or create an LLC. Forward all your mail through that PO Box or LLC.

Register vehicle in MT.

Have no emissions requirements.

I have a relative and a couple of friends that do this because they have giant garages full of very expensive vehicles. Montana has no sales tax on vehicles and smog is not required. If you bought a $150,000.00 car in MN, you'd pay $9,000.00 in sales tax.

Sounds crazy I know, but states need to realize that smogging is idiotic to do. Reduce the taxes / burden for vehicle owners and enough people will buy new enough vehicles that smogging is moot point.
How do you insure it?
Appreciate 1
darkrom188.00