E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > Battery cable/water leak repair - Seattle/Eastside

01-25-2021, 05:47 PM   #1
StumptownRider
Rep
Drives: E91 328i, B6A4, 986-S

Unhappy Battery cable/water leak repair - Seattle/Eastside

Greetings! This is my first post after acquiring a 2007 E91 328i (sport pkg) back in May, excited to join the community!

Any suggestions for shops in the area (mechanic, electrical, even auto parts if they loan the tools) to replace the ring terminals on my battery cables in the cargo area?

They are probably salvageable, but there is some pitting near the cable ends. Anyone know what size the main and accessory cables are (connecting battery forward to the fuse box? I would guess 1/0 AWG, and 8 or 10AWG for the accessory power (to the distribution block).

Long story short, I returned home after being away for three weeks, with the car parked outside during that time. First drive, noticed some popping from one speaker, and then dreaded airbag/seatbelt warning lights lit up.

Inspecting the battery compartment, it was filled with liquid (I think mostly water, didn't smell like chemicals) up to about 1/2" below the height of the terminals .

Still working on finding the source of this mess. The insulation wasn't damp around the area of the washer fluid hose, so I don't believe that to be a significant factor. More likely, somehow either the hatch weatherstripping isn't sealing completely, or some drainage behind the bumper cover.

The only trail of residue I could find was beneath a grommet below the inside of the taillight housing (battery/right/passenger side), but it seems dry all around that spot. Any other entry points in that vicinity someone on the board has experience with?

Thanks for any knowledge or suggestions you're willing to share .

--Chris
Appreciate 0