E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 318i Cold Start Misfire Rough Idle N43

04-11-2021, 09:04 AM   #1
Ashiq786
Rep
Drives: F10 520D

E90 318i Cold Start Misfire Rough Idle N43

Hi All

Have a 318i 60 plate auto N43 which was a dream to drive until a month ago started giving a few problems, was making a lot of rattle so changed the timing chain and all was good.

Recently the car has had trouble on first cold start in the mornings. It misfires and keeps shutting off, having to hold gas as soon as it starts to keep it on and it sounds like a bag of spanners with a lot of shaking. After a minute or two restart it and its all good for the rest of the day.

I’ve changed the coilpacks and spark plugs yesterday and its still the same this morning no improvement. Any recommendations on what to check next?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:13 PM   #2
Ashiq786
Rep
Drives: F10 520D

Bump
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 02:47 AM   #3
HennessyLV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F06 640d GC

Had similar issue last year.... rough start and a bit of white smoke from the exhaust on start ups.
Had Cylinder 2 Injector leaking that was causing a very rough start up in the morning and misfire for the first 5-10 sec.
If I'd be you, I'd pull the spark plugs in the morning before starting it up and check for any fuel on them. Should be fairly easy to diagnose and not too bad of a job to sort it.
New injector plus quick coding through inpa and she's running like a dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashiq786 View Post
Hi All

Have a 318i 60 plate auto N43 which was a dream to drive until a month ago started giving a few problems, was making a lot of rattle so changed the timing chain and all was good.

Recently the car has had trouble on first cold start in the mornings. It misfires and keeps shutting off, having to hold gas as soon as it starts to keep it on and it sounds like a bag of spanners with a lot of shaking. After a minute or two restart it and its all good for the rest of the day.

I’ve changed the coilpacks and spark plugs yesterday and its still the same this morning no improvement. Any recommendations on what to check next?

Thanks
Appreciate 0