E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Lots of timing correction, IAT’s too high, and not meeting boost targets?

04-27-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
Dinocrest
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Lots of timing correction, IAT’s too high, and not meeting boost targets?

Hello I have a ‘13 E92 N55 with 99k miles. I just installed a VRSF Catless DP and VRSF Chargepipe. The car also has a Injen intake which is an open design. I have it currently flashed at Stage 2 MHD on 91 Oct. The car honestly isn’t that fast compared to other 335’s. My buddy has an identical car but with the Stage 2+ MHD map and an intercooler and he put about 4 cars Infront of me. He should be faster but not by that much! So I logged my car and I’m getting timing correction up to -6 in most cylinders simultaneously. The boost target is 14 and it’s only reaching 12, and the IAT’s climb to 130 during a pull when ambient temp is only 60F. This seems a little odd I will attach my log if anyone could take a look? My spark plugs definitely need to be changed as they were swapped at 51k miles and now we’re at 99k. But no misfire codes or anything but I suspect them to be at least part of the problem. I was thinking maybe a boost leak? The car has a very high pitched sound during WOT but I always attributed it to my Injen Intake.

Thank you for your time!!

https://*********************/graphs...16-07-48.7694/
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #2
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

You car is heat soaking and pulling timing based on your high IATs. You need an intercooler. Also your link doesn't work.

I would start by getting an intercooler installed and relogging to check your boost compared to the target, IATs and timing corrections on your same map. If it looks better there, flash stage 2+ and relog to make sure everything is looking good. I wouldn't go hunting for a boost leak if there isn't one. You will go crazy trying to find it.
      04-27-2021, 12:01 PM   #3
Dinocrest
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Hm ok sounds about right. Let me try sending the log again. You think turning it down to stage 1 will help prevent soak?

spool street.com/graphs/log-04-27-2021-16-59-36.7695/

(delete the space between spool and street)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #4
NRigs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinocrest View Post
Hm ok sounds about right. Let me try sending the log again. You think turning it down to stage 1 will help prevent soak?

spool street.com/graphs/log-04-27-2021-16-59-36.7695/

(delete the space between spool and street)
No. The car will heat soak stock. It is just the intercooler. Stock is a poor inefficient design.
      04-27-2021, 01:32 PM   #5
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Plugs can definitely cause timing corrections but I would also get an intercooler.

I'd get NGK's gapped to .022 and a large stepped intercooler. If you're still getting any, try mixing in a gallon or two of e85 and see if that helps to rule out inadequate octane. California gas is really bad so that's definitely a possibility.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:38 PM   #6
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

You are Californian, use the 91 ACN map and not the 91 OCT one since the gas in your state is garbage just like us in Canada. Corrections going on for multiple cylinders at the same time point towards a common problem for all cylinders which is normally fueling. Shouldn't have corrections with a functioning OEM spark plug of stock gap anyways. Stage 1 you would be OK to run without an upgraded FMIC but I strongly suggest you upgrade since after sitting a bit in traffic you will soak and the heat transfer by convection of the stock FMIC is not high enough to overcome basic heat soak.

Last edited by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly; 04-28-2021 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251669.50
      04-30-2021, 08:49 AM   #7
starbuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Msport

Its probably some combo of your fuel and IAT. Assuming you have kept up on maintenance with plugs and coils

IAT
------
As mentioned, the stock intercooler is barely good for 1 pull until it heatsoaks - it will cause timing pull. I upgraded to the VRSF 5" Stepped and even that wasnt good enough once I went custom tune, FBO and Ps1. Now running 7.5" which works well. Along the way, I installed a Snow Performance meth kit for primarily cooling + a little bump in octane - this drops my temps by almost 15 degrees during a 3rd gear pull.

FUEL
------
Like the above poster said, if you're in California you have poor quality gas like we do here in Canada. After I solved my IAT issues, the remaining corrections in multiple cylinders were fuel related. Im custom tuned for e30 (30% Ethanol), but that 70% remaining was still terrible and my tune was pushing the limits of my turbo.

You have the option of either:

- Getting a tune that is turned down for your fuel quality --> I didnt do this

- Using ethanol e85/e98 (if you have access) and adjusting your tune for it

- Using meth for octane bump --> I dont rely on this approach with my charge
pipe meth setup. I have had multiple occasions where the nozzle rusts and interferes
with the spray. Hence this is just something I use for cleanup, but not dependent on it

- Octane Boosters --> There are a few that are tested and work. I use about 6oz of
Boostane Professional and it works really well to reduce my corrections to almost
nothing. Octane boosters do tend to turn plugs orange. Some say they reduce the
life of plugs and some say they dont. Either way, worst case you need to change your
plugs slightly more often - the benefit is a noticeably fast car.

It would be nice to have access to 93 octane like some parts of the US
Appreciate 0