E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help with a series of codes

02-02-2020, 05:06 PM   #1
e90 Second Incarnate
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Help with a series of codes

Hi all, I was hoping to get help with a series of codes that have come up on my car. 2008 335i, JB4, FBO, 167K.

About 6 months/5K miles ago, I did a motor swap. I used my old water pump and thermo that had about 75K miles on it. After completing the swap, the only code I got with my BT tool was

2A19 - Tank Ventilation Valvel, signal input

After some research and searching around the engine bay, I couldn't figure anything out.

Fast forward a few thousand miles, and I begin to get the dreaded water pump codes in addition to the 2A19:

2E83
2E85

I recently replaced the water pump and T-stat with new Continental equipment from FCP , and now get this list of codes:

2E8E Intelligent Battery Sensor, communication
2A19
2DEB Power Management Vehicle wiring system control
2E83
2E85
2E8B Intelligent Battery Sensor, signal

Any ideas as to what may be going on? If I try to clear the codes with the BT Tool, they either fail to clear, or clear and come back after a drive. FWIW, I did replace the battery about a year ago prior to the motor swap, and I had a feeling that the battery registration with the BT tool didn't go as planned. Other than that, there have been no other events.

Thank you very much in advance!!

Also, would anyone be interested in the old water pump for the purposes of experimentation/research? It was working fine when I replaced it, has almost 80K on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #2
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90 Second Incarnate View Post
Hi all, I was hoping to get help with a series of codes that have come up on my car. 2008 335i, JB4, FBO, 167K.

About 6 months/5K miles ago, I did a motor swap. I used my old water pump and thermo that had about 75K miles on it. After completing the swap, the only code I got with my BT tool was

2A19 - Tank Ventilation Valvel, signal input

After some research and searching around the engine bay, I couldn't figure anything out.

Fast forward a few thousand miles, and I begin to get the dreaded water pump codes in addition to the 2A19:

2E83
2E85

I recently replaced the water pump and T-stat with new Continental equipment from FCP , and now get this list of codes:

2E8E Intelligent Battery Sensor, communication
2A19
2DEB Power Management Vehicle wiring system control
2E83
2E85
2E8B Intelligent Battery Sensor, signal

Any ideas as to what may be going on? If I try to clear the codes with the BT Tool, they either fail to clear, or clear and come back after a drive. FWIW, I did replace the battery about a year ago prior to the motor swap, and I had a feeling that the battery registration with the BT tool didn't go as planned. Other than that, there have been no other events.

Thank you very much in advance!!
Water pump and Intelligent battery sensor (IBS) communicate to the DME via the BSD bus and you have communication faults on those devices (2E85, 2E8E). Communication fault might trigger "reduced power" operation for the water pump (2E83), not sure about that.

In addition, you have a likely alternator fault, 2DEB ("low voltage while engine is running") and the alternator and the oil level sensor are the other two devices on the BSD bus.

Together this suggests you may have a problem with wiring or connectors involving the BSD bus.

This has nothing to do with registering or failing to register a new battery.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:08 PM   #3
e90 Second Incarnate
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Thank you as always dpaul, for your input. I sorted the 2A19, turned out the valve behind the throttle body was unplugged from the engine swap. I have yet to clear codes and see what happens. Perhaps I will pull the ECU connectors and re-insert them.

Do you have any info about how to identify the location of the BSD bus component connections?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:38 PM   #4
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Def clear codes and see what comes back

Best place to obtain circuit diagrams and component locations is newtis.info
Appreciate 0